Royal Watch...;-)

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Ocean Breeze said:
Chaz and Cam coming to the US this fall. (just hope they don't get "accidentally" shot or :?: :?: ----given the hostile aggressive/defensiveness in the current US. :-(

In my experience, Amercans tend, as a rule, to be quite fascinated and delighted with royal family stuff. I doubt the newlyweds will be greeted with any hostility at all.

Although not a royal family watcher or even remotely a fan, I have to say that Charles and Camilla appear to be so happy that it is pretty hard not to be happy for them.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
It's always nice when two idiots find each other.

The Americans do have this unbelievable fascination for royalty. And here's some trivia: who was the most recent US citizen to become Queen (as in a ruling monarch of a country)?

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Although not a royal family watcher or even remotely a fan, I have to say that Charles and Camilla appear to be so happy that it is pretty hard not to be happy for them.

agree. Too bad this has been so sensationalized , ......sheesh. But they have been very tasteful, tactful and mighty tolerant during this period of media/people abuse etc......as if it is anyone's real business .

The US suffers from some serious Royal Envy and has for some time. They love to name people "king' of this /Queen of that. Kinda too bad they burned their bridges so long ago.

Royalty ...... and the whole monachy issue is changing rapidly......Old time traditions merging with the modern world.

live and let live.

Prince William is going to be sharing an apartment with his girlfriend Kate. Another example of the changes taking place.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Haggis McBagpipe said:
Ocean Breeze said:
Royalty ...... and the whole monachy issue is changing rapidly......Old time traditions merging with the modern world.

Do you think there is a place for royalty in the modern world?

Not really. Royalty (Brit variety) is more of a figurehead , than anything else. (symbolism can be persistent ;-)

might be an idea to gradually fade "royalty" as such into the background and eventual history. Would be interesting to see this family and extended family get real jobs and become productive members of society.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Ocean Breeze said:
Would be interesting to see this family and extended family get real jobs and become productive members of society.

Agreed. I often wonder why the majority of Brits still support the monarchy. Then again, I've become much mellower about my views. I used to want to see them strung up and quartered, now I'd settle for letting the queen live out her life as she is doing, then putting an end to all the perks enjoyed by the family. Oh, and maybe still stringing up that godawful Philip, just for a lark.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journalgazette/12485195.htm

death to all the Diana conspiracy theories. and paranoid /fanciful fiction that many die hard Diana loyalists have had to face.

No secret that Diana was not the "wonderful" people princess that the media made her out to be. Reality can be harsh, but better than living in some fantasy world of "icons" , heros, and fairy tales. :wink:

(never did like her all that much. Too phoney, superficial, self centred and media grabbing as in self promoting. Amazing , how so many got caught up in this fantasy, image etc. :roll:

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Royalty (Brit variety) is more of a figurehead , than anything else

That's what you think.

The Queen is the most powerful person in the world - more so even than Bush.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Ocean Breeze said:
The US suffers from some serious Royal Envy and has for some time. They love to name people "king' of this /Queen of that. Kinda too bad they burned their bridges so long ago.

8O

Bwahahahaha! You've got to be kidding.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
If you aren't obsessed with the royals, how come every election somebody goes poking around to find out how the candidates are related to royalty?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: Royal Watch...;-)

Reverend Blair said:
If you aren't obsessed with the royals, how come every election somebody goes poking around to find out how the candidates are related to royalty?

So one person does some research, and it amounts to the whole nation having an obsession?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Nope. The fact that it makes network and cable news makes it a national story though. Obviously it must be important to a lot of Americans if the networks think they can sell soap with it.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
It is just interesting, celebrity type of news that GW is related to the Royal Family.