UN Occupation Forces Carry Out Massacre

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
This article doesn't even say why, I find it hard to believe UN forces will get trigger happy and start shooting all over the place for no reason. There is more to this.

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
The area in question, Cité Soleil, is Haiti's (and so possibly the world's) poorest and most violent slum, and a hotbed of Aristide support. It has been isolated from the rest of Haiti for most of this year. The report I heard stated that civilians had been killed in the crossfire during a gun battle between The UN and local gangs.

I have also heard reports of summary executions, carried out by the Haitian National Police (not the UN):
link

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Hard-Luck Henry said:
The area in question, Cité Soleil, is Haiti's (and so possibly the world's) poorest and most violent slum, and a hotbed of Aristide support. It has been isolated from the rest of Haiti for most of this year. The report I heard stated that civilians had been killed in the crossfire during a gun battle between The UN and local gangs.

I have also heard reports of summary executions, carried out by the Haitian National Police (not the UN):
link

I've been reading a lot of the same. UN forces et al have been faced with serious hostilities and violence in Haiti for two or three months now. It doen't seem like thinkgs are cooling down as of late.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Well they shouldn't rush to judge unless they know. If my memory serves me correctly UN troops have standing orders not to shoot unless they are threatened, I could be wrong, but I remember Romeo Dallaire (hope I spelled his name correctly) saying so regarding the situation in Rwanda during his interview with PBS.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
I know this is very dated, but I'll post it anyway.

Monday, April 4, 2005 Updated at 5:13 PM EST

Associated Press

Port-Au-Prince, Haiti — UN troops battled street gangs in firefights near a lawless Haitian slum, the latest in a series of clashes between peacekeepers and armed groups that some fear could disrupt fall elections.

At least five gang members wounded or killed in the gunfight late Sunday in the Port-au-Prince slum of Cité Soleil, soldiers said. But UN military spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Elouafi Boulbars could not immediately confirm the casualties. No UN peacekeepers were hurt, he said.

Peruvian peacekeepers were patrolling the western edge of Cité Soleil when armed men in four cars opened fire, Lt.-Col. Boulbars said. Troops returned fire and chased the cars through the slum, a hotbed of gang violence between supporters and opponents of ousted President Jean-Bertrand Aristide.

“We destroyed two of their vehicles and badly damaged the other two, but they were able to escape,” Lt.-Col. Boulbars said.

The clash was the fiercest since peacekeepers first surrounded Cite Soleil on Thursday as part of a promised crackdown on violence that has surged in the capital more than a year after an uprising ousted Aristide.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/serv...814393&brand=theglobeandmail&force_login=true

I have no energy left, that's all I can come up with for now. :cry: