Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Ahenakew unapologetic after conviction

By KATHERINE HARDING
Friday, July 8, 2005 Updated at 10:04 PM EDT
From Saturday's Globe and Mail

Saskatoon — Disgraced former aboriginal leader David Ahenakew was unapologetic and combative after he was convicted yesterday of promoting hatred against Jews, blaming the media, a judicial system he called racist and the Jewish community for his predicament.

“I hope my trial has revealed some of the frustration and pain of my people. . . . If an Indian slips a little bit, you are crucified,” the 71-year-old former leader of the Assembly of First Nations told reporters, adding that he intends to appeal the ruling.

Provincial Court Judge Marty Irwin ruled that Mr. Ahenakew was willfully promoting hatred against an identifiable group when he told a reporter in Saskatoon on Dec. 13, 2002, that the Jews were a “disease” and Hitler was trying to “clean up the world” when he “fried six million of those guys” during the Second World War.

“To suggest that any human being or group of human beings is a disease is to invite extremists to take action against them,” the judge said in his 20-page decision.

Advertisements
click here
click here

Legal experts have called this case an important and provocative test of the country's hate-crime laws, which have traditionally tried to balance free-speech rights against protection of equality and minority rights. Mr. Ahenakew is believed to be the first member of a visible minority group convicted under the laws.

Besides railing about his conviction, for which he was fined $1,000, Mr. Ahenakew noted that authorities unfairly began the process of removing him as a member of the Order of Canada before a verdict was reached.

“This, of course, was the direct result of the pressure put on the [Governor-General's] advisory committee by some of the Jewish community, including a letter-writing campaign and the lobbying by the Canadian Jewish Congress,” he said. On his lapel was the Order of Canada pin he received in 1978.

Continued Here: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050708.wahenakew09/BNStory/National/

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
I was about to suggest that he must have been drunk when he made those starements,but then,I would just be furthering the old stereotype about Indians.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
And then we would have to charge you with a hate crime....
:wink:

I like this line from the link in the first post...

"“To suggest that any human being or group of human beings is a disease is to invite extremists to take action against them,” the judge said in his 20-page decision.

Well then I ask...where is the action...it’s been quite awhile now since those remarks were stated...where is the action?

Welcome to Canada...from one silly sea to the other...

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Let's see! Ayear or so ago,some vandals spray painted the Nazi symbols all over the tombstones at our Jewish Cemetary on Westmorland Road[and there was talk of a hate crime]. P.S. I've only had one Native Canadian acquaintance and she was a total drunk.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Yeah, I posted this the other day in another thread...to sum it up:

:x You know, having been raised in a totally native environment I certainly do sympathize with particular issues that they face. In this particular case I'm getting a little tired about the Racist card being played. It's misdirection at it's best, "You're calling me a racist...Well you're being racist for pointing that out."

:roll: Gimme a break. I was listening to shit like that in Grade school.

Ahenakew found guilty of promoting hatred; fined $1,000

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
...Besides the stereotype of being drunk is a little complicated.

Their Physiology reacts to alcohol much differently than in non native persons. I don't know why, but their more extreme reaction is what re-enforces the stereotype. I'd go drinking with my buddies and when having consumed the same amount I may be getting a little buzzed, and certain individuals will be totally trashed and will act much differently. Other than that, white people drink more than them anyways, they've had about 5000 years or so to become physiologically adapted to consume more alcohol, wheras native americans have had only about 600 to 100* years of exposure.

*The Inuit were the last in line to add alcohol into their society.

manda

Council Member
Jul 3, 2005
swirling in the abyss of nowhere la
I watched a bit of a press conference that Ahenakew held, and he was trying to liken his situation to mistreatment of his people. Has nobdy pointed out to this man that a white person would be stripped of the Order of Canada before the trial began. What Ahenakew really is, is a reverse racist, who hates all that are not native, or beneficial to his financial or social status to know. I'd love to slap that man :x

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
A Governor General picked for her race (or lack of being a particular race) takes away The Order of Canada, because someone says something the establishment doesn't agree with...

This is diversity at work….

If I had been charged with this sort of nonsense, and I held the Order of Canada, I would have promptly deposited it in the toilet on the way out of the court house…

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/1999/09/08/govgen990908.html

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
mrmom2 said:
Hey Jay Hows the weather out there today .The wife should be there in about 5 hours 8)

It's hot out here...really hot.

The wife is coming to Ontario? Where abouts?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I would offer to pick her up at the air port etc, but I don't live in T.O.

Next time she's in Ontario, you should come too, stop in London and I will show you how to drink.... :wink:

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Cool....I will have milk and cookies ready for you.. :wink:

manda

Council Member
Jul 3, 2005
swirling in the abyss of nowhere la
Re: RE: Ahenakew unapologetic after conviction

missile said:
Adrianne only has two more months in her term of office,a new GG should be named any day now.

And she's off on sick leave, the supreme court justice is doing her job right now. Let's start a snorefully boring t/v show, so we can all have turns being GG, Adrienne Clarkson Presents drove mecrazy :x . It was the bane of my non cable existence

Laika

Electoral Member
Apr 22, 2005
Where The Wild Things Are
RE: Ahenakew unapologetic

Ahenakew's comments about Jews were pretty horrible. I would think that he, an aboriginal person, would have more sympathy for victims of genocidal acts and extreme persercution.

He and his supporters are a disgrace to First Nations and he has failed in his role as a leader, an elder, and an example to younger generations.