Ratzinger is the new Pope

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Pope Bendict XVI

From AOL News -

Bells Ring in Rome as Pope Elected

German Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger has been elected as the 265th Pope

German Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger has been elected as the 265th Pope.

He has taken the name Pope Benedict.

Bells chimed at St Peter's Basilica and tens of thousands of flag-waving pilgrims filled the square, chanting: "Viva il Papa!'' or "Long live the pope!''

The bells rang after a confusing smoke signal that Vatican Radio initially suggested was black but then declared was too difficult to call. White smoke is used to announce a pope's election to the world.

"It's only been 24 hours - surprising how fast he was elected,'' Vatican Radio said, commenting on how the new pope was elected after just four or five ballots.

The 265th pontiff of the Roman Catholic Church succeeds John Paul II, who gained extraordinary popularity over a 26-year pontificate, history's third-longest papacy. Millions mourned him around the world in a tribute to his charisma.

Cardinals had faced a choice over whether to seek an older, skilled administrator who could serve as a ''transitional'' pope while the church absorbs John Paul's legacy, or a younger dynamic pastor and communicator - perhaps from Latin America or elsewhere in the developing world where the church is growing.

While John Paul II, a Pole, was elected to challenge the communist system in place in eastern Europe in 1978 the new pontiff faces new issues: the need for dialogue with Islam, the divisions between the wealthy north and the poor south as well as problems within his own church.

These include the priest sex-abuse scandals that have cost the church millions in settlements in the US and elsewhere; coping with a chronic shortage of priests and nuns in the West; and halting the stream of people leaving a church indifferent to teachings they no longer find relevant.

Under John Paul II, the church's central authority grew, often to dismay of bishops and rank-and-file Catholics around the world. Even though John Paul II appointed all but two of the men who elected the new pope, it was no guarantee that the new man would necessarily be in his mold.

Pope John XXIII was 77 when he was elected pope in 1958 and viewed as a transitional figure, but he called the Second Vatican Council that revolutionised the church from within and opened up its dialogue with non-Catholics.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Whats with the Pope and the nazi connections two in a row have had some sort of nazi connection 8O They protect them at the end of the second world war and know guys with some sort of connection are running the show weird 8O

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
I dont know about the Nazi thing but I do know he's extremely conservative. I think they should of voted in one from South America or Africa. It would of been a good move.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Ratzinger is the new

So...the Pope's a Nazi, the US president is a war criminal, Paul Martin is...well...Prime Minister, and Maggie Thatcher's Bastard Son is likely going to win another election in spite of the fact that everybody on both sides hates him.

Can anybody tell me why I quit eating 'shrooms?

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
Ratzinger was in the Hitler Youth alright, but what no one has mentioned yet is that was COMPULSARY at the time. He never went to any events (refused to) and when drafted, after a short time he deserted and fled.

Not very damning, IYAM....

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
I wasn't trying to dam anybody Ten! I just thought it was strange there is so many connections to the Nazi's in the catholic church :wink:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Ratzinger is the new

I was just wondering why I quit eating mushrooms.

Also...I'm trying to damn them all because the Pope's a Nazi, the US president is a war criminal, Paul Martin is...well...Prime Minister, and Maggie Thatcher's Bastard Son is likely going to win another election in spite of the fact that everybody on both sides hates him.

Not much has changed in my adult lifetime. I guess Brian's wife was better looking than Paul's, but then there's that Mo Berg song.

LadyC

Time Out
Sep 3, 2004
the left coast
mrmom2 said:
I wasn't trying to dam anybody Ten! I just thought it was strange there is so many connections to the Nazi's in the catholic church :wink:
I find it strange that so many white men have connections to the Nazis........

I'm not even Catholic and I find that statement offensive.

LadyC

Time Out
Sep 3, 2004
the left coast
Re: RE: Ratzinger is the new Pope

Hard-Luck Henry said:
Nazi or not, his stance on artificial contraception is likely to cost lives.
And if you're not a Catholic how does this affect you? Or any other non-Catholic?

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
Re: RE: Ratzinger is the new Pope

LadyC said:
Hard-Luck Henry said:
Nazi or not, his stance on artificial contraception is likely to cost lives.
And if you're not a Catholic how does this affect you? Or any other non-Catholic?

Even if it didn't affect me (which it does), I would still have concern for other human beings.

LadyC

Time Out
Sep 3, 2004
the left coast
Re: RE: Ratzinger is the new

Reverend Blair said:
80,000,000 AIDS orphans are bound to have an effect.
Do you just make these numbers up as you go, or do you have a reliable source?

While the tragedy of the HIV/AIDS epidemic has been drawing increased media attention, one the most troubling aspects of it – the long-term impact on African societies of some 11 million AIDS orphans in sub-Saharan Africa – has been featured less often.

There are more than 34 million orphans in the region today and some 11 million of them are orphaned by AIDS. Eight out of every 10 children in the world whose parents have died of AIDS live in sub-Saharan Africa. During the last decade, the proportion of children who are orphaned as a result of AIDS rose from 3.5% to 32% and will continue to increase exponentially as the disease spreads unchecked. As a result, the disease is in effect making orphans of a whole generation of children, jeopardizing their health, their rights, their well-being and sometimes their very survival, not to mention the overall development prospects of their countries.
http://www.un.org/events/tenstories/story.asp?storyID=400

Those numbers are for Sub-Saharan Africa. Are you suggesting that there are 69 million AIDS orphans in the rest of the world?

80% of the AIDS orphans live in that region, remember.