The Pope Has Passed On

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: The Pope Has Passed O

maybe the next one won't walk into the middle of an AIDS pandemic and tell them wearing rubbers is a sin.

Paco

Electoral Member
Jul 6, 2004
7000 ft. asl and on full auto
Re: RE: The Pope Has Passed O

Reverend Blair said:
maybe the next one won't walk into the middle of an AIDS pandemic and tell them wearing rubbers is a sin.

I don't know about the sinful facet, but I will admit he had a point. Wearing a rubber is like taking a bath with your socks on. That should be a sin. :dontknow:

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
I hate the news. When someone like the Pope dies, that’s all you hear about. They quote people saying the most useless things like "he was magical", "he had an aura", and one lady who couldn't speak English all that well said "he was,um....the father of God"! This is news? The Pope was against contraceptives, gay marriage, and women being ordained. I enjoyed the bit they showed about his past, but other things are happening in the world. Enough about how it was a tragedy. It's not a tragedy when an 84 year old man dies. It's sad, but not a tragedy like some people were saying.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: The Pope Has Passed O

The coverage has been way overkill. There are so many other things going on, but all we hear is "the Pope died."

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
Well, I don't think it is in fact such an overkill. You can argue whether the Pope is just a normal man, of course, and not a "son of God", but he was an important world leader as well, in fact, he was one of the most influential people on the planet. When George W. Bush would die today, it would be big news as well, just like when the Queen of England would die, or a very famous popstar. In that sense, I do not think the coverage of him is "overkill". Don't forget, he is the religious leader for some 1.1 billion people on this planet.

jamie

Electoral Member
Oct 22, 2004
the wang
Re: RE: The Pope Has Passed O

Reverend Blair said:

The main mindset behind that R.B., is that fornication outside of marriage is a sin- according to his religion.

P.S. there are many people who have had sex while using a rubber and were infected by AIDS.

and

Gonzo wrote:
I hate the news. When someone like the Pope dies, that’s all you hear about. They quote people saying the most useless things like "he was magical", "he had an aura", and one lady who couldn't speak English all that well said "he was,um....the father of God"! This is news? The Pope was against contraceptives, gay marriage, and women being ordained. I enjoyed the bit they showed about his past, but other things are happening in the world. Enough about how it was a tragedy. It's not a tragedy when an 84 year old man dies. It's sad, but not a tragedy like some people were saying.

Wether you belive in the teachings of Christianity or not, the Pope and his followers are Christians. They're are not supposed to be wordly (secular), they are supposed to be Biblical.

jamie

Electoral Member
Oct 22, 2004
the wang
People have free will. the poeple who did those things indeed reflected poorly on their Church. everyone gets what's coming to them one way or the other. they will as well.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Ya sure they will :roll: more like they will be moved onto another parish so they can have a fresh set of boys to pray on. Its only the outrage of citizens and the victims that EVER makes things change. Oh and of course $$$$$ when they have to start paying for all those lawsuits. They should not have to wait to gets whats coming to them!!!! It is the duty of the church to call the police and have these people brought to justice!! Blah! I save my tears for the men who have come forward and exposed these monsters. And I will keep my contempt for the indivduals who try to hide, justify, and pass these pedophiles around like the sunday wafer, from church to church.

tibear

Electoral Member
Jan 25, 2005
Here was a man that stood up for the poor, was against the invasion of Iraq, apologized to the Jews, Muslims and other groups for problems of the past. He has been singled out as the leading figure behind the collapse of communism in eastern Europe and Russia. Without question one of the most influential men in the 20th century.

Did he have believes that were counter the North American counter? Perhaps, but those are the believes of the RC Church. It wasn't as if it should be any big surprise to anyone. He was re-iterating the believes the "laws of God" as the Church believes them. Until a new Council convenes and makes changes to the Church's believes the Pope and Bishops must put forward those positions.

Of course we've heard from the anti-Catholic crowd about child abuse and the such. But as Jamie said those were individuals who did horrible things and the Church (as a whole) can't be blamed for the actions of individual members or those other members who tried to hide the perpetrators. As I've said before, is a company responsible for all of the actions of an employee, or is it the employee that should be held accountable for the actions??

When looking at a man such as John Paul II, lets look at the big picture. He was a man that lived through WW II and had many of his childhood Jewish friends killed. He stood up regularly against the communist authorities while a priest and bishop in Poland. When he became Pope, he changed the Papal office into one that the common person could understand. He went out and met with the poor at every opportunity trying to help them. He stood up to aggressors such as the US that told them that they were wrong to invade Iraq. He was constantly telling the rich of the world to help the poor.

He not only talked about putting a position of "Pro-Life" but he lived it. He showed us all how to lead our life with dignity and especially how to die with dignity.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
tibear quote
"Of course we've heard from the anti-Catholic crowd about child abuse and the such"

Oh I see, :roll: :roll: the anti-catholic crowd talk about the child abuse. Well thank goodness for that eh???? imagine! even those victims have the nerve to talk about it.
uh huh! homosexuality is bad, but being a pedophile is not bad, especially if your a priest.

JorCON5

Dec 14, 2004
St Catharines ON
Jamie quote

"P.S. there are many people who have had sex while using a rubber and were infected by AIDS."

That is the dumbest point ever made. Condoms are like 97% effective from stopping STD's. Just because people get HIV while using condoms doesn't mean they should not wear them. That's like saying we shouldn't cross the street because sometimes people die.

I agree John Paul II was a good man and he was a great pope but I think it is wrong to demonize using condoms in a global epidemic. His stance on women within the church also was disappointing to many Catholic women.

As far as the media goes, they don't care what they are broadcasting. All they worry about are ratings.

PS don't you think it is wrong that the Popes, cardinals, other officials live in the lap of luxury while many of their followers are living in crushing poverty. I don't believe in God but do you think that that is his/her will.

PSS good point pea!!

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
Re: RE: The Pope Has Passed On

JorCON5 said:
Jamie quote

"P.S. there are many people who have had sex while using a rubber and were infected by AIDS."

That is the dumbest point ever made. Condoms are like 97% effective from stopping STD's.
In fact, condoms are 99.9% of the time effective. You hear that there are people who got a STD or got pregnant while using a condom. Now, they did some research about that, and the chance that it's the "condom's fault" is really, really slim. Rather, the 3% of people where the condom doesn't work like it should, it is mostly these people to blame for it. Meaning: they have for example broken the condom themselves by putting it on incorrectly, or they have used a condom which was far too old. I saw an interesting documentary on this already some time ago on Belgian television, it was made after a Brazilian bishop had said that condoms are far from reliable. The documentary clearly showed that condoms ARE reliable, but it are the people themselves who aren't 100%.

tibear

Electoral Member
Jan 25, 2005
Pea,

Please find me one quote from the Catholic Church which tried to justify the actions of the abusive priests or those men(and woman) who tried to hide these facts. Just one!!!

There aren't any. Everyone in the Church feels horrible that these things were done. However, it doesn't take away from all of the good that the Church does. As was said in this forum many, many times you can't discount the entire Church for the actions of a very, very small number of individuals.

We're talking about JP II so find me something about the abusive situations that he was a participant in. There aren't any. When the abuse scandal came to light, he was the first one to tell the American Bishops that they had to get a policy in place to deal with these situations and told them that "There is no place in the Church for people who do this to the innocent". What would you have liked him to do differently from what he did do??? Let's talk about facts, not your perceptions!!

As for JorCon's comments about living in luxury, have you ever been to the local home of the bishop in your area?? Have you seen the conditions that the bishops in Africa or the third world live in??? The bishop in my diocese has a home that is about 150 years old with many repairs that need to be done, but because of other priorities the repairs are postponed. By in large the bishops and priests lead very simple lives with few luxuries. Yes, some of them do have some wealth but remember that diocesan priests do not take the vow of poverty only priests that belong to religious orders take that vow. I know many, many priests and very few could be accused of living in the lap of luxury.

I think the point that should be raised is: Is the Church doing everything it can to try to help the "poor and downtrodden" in our world? Even if the Church was to sell every piece of art it had(Which it has a moral obligation not too because most were gifts from artists) and gave the money to the poor, it would be but a small token to help these people. Instead the Church is trying to get the conditions in which these people live corrected by the governments that have the power to do so. Isn't that the way to go??

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: The Pope Has Passed On

JorCON5 said:
PS don't you think it is wrong that the Popes, cardinals, other officials live in the lap of luxury while many of their followers are living in crushing poverty.

It's not as if the Catholic Church is taxing the people like a government does....

It's not as if they are stealing the money from them...

They also do a lot of good in the world.