Who knew potheads were so violent?

jamie

Electoral Member
Oct 22, 2004
the wang
:sad5:http://story.news.yahoo.com/news? tmpl=story&cid=574&ncid=721&e=1&u=/nm/20050304/wl_nm/crime_canada_shooting_dc

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Who knew potheads wer

That's very true, Ten Packs. If pot was legal, criminals with guns wouldn't be making a profit off of it. Perhaps parliament will see how wrong-headed their laws are now.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

The Mafia really got established because of the prohibition of alcohol. The prohibition of drugs has done the same for the Hells Angels and their fellow bikers.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Well I don't think drugs should be legal rev...but I see no harm in mary jane any more than cigs..if one is banned than the other should be.

I don't believe the way they deal with people on drugs works. Not that I have the answers, but they have been using the same method forever and it does not work, the problem only gets bigger.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Making them illegal hasn't worked, Peapod.

Interesting factoid...the first drug war involving a western country was the British fighting the Chinese to keep the opium flowing, not to stop it.

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
I'm now old enought to be able to remember this on-going "War On Drugs" for forty years now!

When are the Powers-that-be going to realize that IT HASN'T WORKED???

I'm not if favour of legalizing other drugs, but this whole "pot" thing is stupid and juvenile - and was only a product of the Liqour Industry Lobbyists at the beginning of the last century - to protect their profits.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Making them illegal hasn't worked, Peapod.

I don't care rev :p I don't want crack and meth legal....mary jane I don't have a problem with...some others maybe, I don't know anything really about hard drugs. But I mentioned once before on this board that I watched a documentary about a town in England that had a huge problem with herion users, which brought crime and violence to the town. They decided to try something different to deal with it. The jist is, when the herion addicts were able to obtain their herion through the druggist, (which was pure) they were able to actually function. Some even obtained employment, the women no longer needed to sell themselves to support their habit. Now if you have a group of people that are chronic herion addicts, and they are never going to be anything else, is it not a better solution to deal with them this way all the way around...

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
peapod said:
The jist is, when the herion addicts were able to obtain their herion through the druggist, (which was pure) they were able to actually function. Some even obtained employment, the women no longer needed to sell themselves to support their habit. Now if you have a group of people that are chronic herion addicts, and they are never going to be anything else, is it not a better solution to deal with them this way all the way around...

While I'm not sure I want heroin legalised either, I'm trying to figure out how your anecdote supports your argument - sounds to me like your'e saying it accomplished some good, to supply it. Not to mention I bet the pushers were living on beans pretty soon.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Solutions like that cannot happen under our current system though, Peapod.

Our current system pushes the addicts underground to where they can't get help. We spend a huge amount of money and resources making them into criminals and then fighting the resulting crime.

Addiction is a medical problem though, not a criminal one. Abuse and addiction has some pretty well-documented social causes, including not being able to find a niche in society.

So why don't we spend our money and resources on facing the root problems instead of arresting the results of those problems? Well, look at the outcry from the US when the safe drug centre opened up in Vancouver.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
There were no pushers ten packs, they picked it up at the pharmacy, it was controlled and they were given what they were required, it was an experiment. And yes it did surprise me under those conditions the addicts maintained a very different life style, I am speaking to crime mostly. And these are very complex issues that I really know nothing about, but I can see that the present way it is dealt with does not work, and no I have no answers either. I will try to find out something about that documentary, I saw it a long time ago but I will try and find out.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
The last 6 Mounties slain on the job were murdered in our West[5 in Alberta and 1 in Manitoba]. this agrees with the premise that our West is almost American in nature and temperment.

tibear

Electoral Member
Jan 25, 2005
Missile,

Just to let you know the Manitoba RCMP officer was killed by 3 Albertans. So please don't paint all the 'westerner's' with the same brush.

jamie

Electoral Member
Oct 22, 2004
the wang
Re: RE: Who knew potheads wer

Reverend Blair said:
That's very true, Ten Packs. If pot was legal, criminals with guns wouldn't be making a profit off of it. Perhaps parliament will see how wrong-headed their laws are now.

If pot was legal, criminals would then take their scheming, exploitative inclinations and use them elsewhere. So, even if it wasn't illicit, you would still have the same crimainals doinf different crimes.
Not that I'm saying all people who parttake in a little green are interprizing criminals...but those are the ones I am speaking of.

missile said:
The last 6 Mounties slain on the job were murdered in our West[5 in Alberta and 1 in Manitoba]. this agrees with the premise that our West is almost American in nature and temperment.

Yeah, dude, nothing bad ever happens in the Eastern parts of Canada, or anywhere else in the western hemisphere....just in the States and Alberta. Your post is a fallacy.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Well jamie how come holland does not have the problems you mention. Pot is legal there, and by the way so is the hemp plant, which makes the best rope, it also makes good paper, and the cloths that are made from it...well they last forever.

Your prediction of all hell breaking loose if pot was legal does not hold up in holland...could you explain why??

The truth is if it was there would be more tax dollars, the criminals would no longer have a black market. The truth is the plant is not going away, so its better to deal with it in a logical way that works for society.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Once in a rare while,a Canadian police officer is killed on the job. We do have a few murders every year. The USA has 100's per day,so it's nothing to an American, It probably wouldn't even be written up in the papers because it's not "real" news. Here,the murder of 4 policemen is one big deal,but then, we are basically a nation of law abiding citizens.