Hunter Thompson is dead

Haggis McBagpipe
I just heard that Hunter Thompson killed himself tonight, so far it only seems to be in the Washington Post and L.A. Times... anybody know anything more?
Reverend Blair
Nothing on whether it was accidental or on purpose, just that it was self-inflicted. It could've easily been either with him.

Haggis McBagpipe
Either way, yes. I wonder about one thing, I think that if he found out that he had some incurable illness or something, he'd probably opt for a more... interesting and express-lane check-out such as this. It would be classic Thompson, really.
Reverend Blair
He wasn't exactly known as the king of gun safety either.

All I can pull up is a couple of Reuters things and a USA today bit. No real information.

He mentioned getting a new "stainless steel spine" in his column a while ago, but there was no real information. He also talked about Anita a lot, which was odd for him. He actually seemed almost happy lately.

I'm guessing he got loaded up on something and had an accident. Shooting himself on purpose really doesn't seem his style....I'd guess suicide by OD or in a car crash, but likely not with a gun.
Haggis McBagpipe
Well, the one thing Hunter Thompson could never have pulled off was to die of plain old age.

Whatever the reason, and however unsurprising, it kind of hit me hard... and that's why I posted here, because I figured you, of all the people I know, would have something relevant to say on the subject. You did, and thank you.
Reverend Blair
CNN is calling it a suicide, but they seem to be getting their feed from Reuters.
Dexter Sinister
Oh no! The Great Gonzo Journalist is dead? Jeez, he was only 67... Way too young to be checking out.

Alas, a Google search confirms it, apparently of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. I'm inclined to agree with Haggis on this one. Thompson was the kind of man who, faced with a terminal condition, would have chosen the express lane check out, and the way he abused his body with assorted chemicals would certainly make that a strong possibility. The Rev might have it right too, gun safety and drug safety were not high on the man's list of priorities.

But either way, a great light has gone out, and to me the world feels a poorer, dimmer place for his absence. Nobody ever chronicled the depravity and corruption of power with the wit, style, and penetration he did, and even if he'd never achieved anything else, that would have secured his reputation as a first class journalist. I often found him foolish and puerile, but he was something excitingly dangerous and wild and unpredictable and uncompromising, and at his best there was nobody better. We need more like him.

Hunter S. Thompson
Requiescat In Pace
Reverend Blair
A great light has gone out indeed, Dexter.

He was one of the great writers of his generation. Hell, he was one of the great writers of all generations. Everybody likes to dwell on Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas because it was such a great book. If you read all of his writing though, whether he was handicapping a political race or telling us about a brawl in Montreal or recounting drinking whiskey in his living room, you will find great writing.

Thompson chronicled four decades for us, plus a little on each side. He wasn't always right, but he was never once Wrong. That's a bitch of a legacy to match.
Hard-Luck Henry
Hear, hear. I didn't agree with everything he said, but I never once doubted that he was telling the truth, as he saw it. A shame.

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die." (Hunter S. Thompson)
What a crummy way to start the week! I never thought he would go out like that,by eating his gun. He was one of the very best!
Obviously I was a fan of Hunter S. Thompson. I loved his style of writing and Gonzo journalism. It's a shame, but not a big surprise.
Reverend Blair
I'm still surprised that he shot himself though. That isn't what I would have expected.
The last piece he wrote is on the ESPN website today,entitled"Shotgun Golfing With Bill Murray". And the DenverPost has a nice writeup on it's frontpage about his life.
Reverend Blair
I imagine the shotgun golfing story and anything else that didn't make Hey Rube will be out in a book. I hope they keep his books of letters coming out.
Rolling Stone should do up a special issue on Hunter. I have a couple of them from the old days -the fear and loathing In Vegas era. By the way, I love that Steve Earle CD,the live one you mentioned in the "What are you Listeneing to Now" thread.
Reverend Blair
Oh, Jann Wenner won't miss a chance to make money. There'll be a Hunter Thomson issue.
I will miss him ... BIG HUG for Juan, Jen, Willam and Anita… who will never be able to fill the hole left in there lives by the man in spite of the myth and legend attached to his life..

I am a long time friend of Juan we went to the Aspen Community School together I have been using the blogs to try to send a message of love to him and the family but I know he is totally swamped because of the media attention at Owl farm and we need to let him know that we care for Him, Anita and the whole family in this time of tragedy while respecting his privacy

Let's see if we can get the word out ...
He was first the MAN….
He became the myth and legend
To me he was several people.
He was my best friend’s dad although he always called his dad Hunter
(At Juan’s wedding he said to a friend about me “Look there’s another little bastard I raised that turned out OK”)
He was Hunter S. Thompson retiring shy southerner who loved guns and his freedom
He was the Dr. Gonzo who we all know who would be in your face and try to kill you if you attempted to try to take away his guns, drugs, freedom, privacy and the god given right to go into an explosive tirade about it.

To be such a person required him to have a unique emotional support structure. These people now need our support, love and understanding in this time of grief.

Bradley Laboe
If the plan to have his remains shot from a cannon are for real-what a way to go out!!
Reverend Blair
That's pure Hunter. This is a man who made art by filling his shotgun with paint and shooting it on pictures of Reagan. Simply scattering his ashes by hand would not do him justice.
Vanni Fucci
Sorry to be opening an old wound here, but there may be a new development to this story...

Was Hunter S. Thompson murdered to shut him up? (external - login to view)
Reverend Blair
I read that. I don't believe it for a minute. His wife had said he'd been talking about suicide lately and she was on the phone when he shot himself.

Did anybody read the Doonesbury cartoons about his suicide? I get the feeling that would have been the first time that Thompson ever laughed at Uncle Duke.
Vanni Fucci
Yeah...that story got me interested...but it didn't take a lot of research to debunk the conspiracy...

I just recently set up RSS feeds for some alternative news sources, and I got a little jumpy with this one...
Reverend Blair
Have you checked out the Doonesbury cartoons though?
Vanni Fucci
Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

Have you checked out the Doonesbury cartoons though?

I'll do just that...
Vanni Fucci
A fitting tribute...

I don't know if I've committed copyright infringement with this post, so I'll leave that to the discretion of the moderators as to whether it can be kept up or not...
Reverend Blair
Trudeau said he had no problem with copyright stuff a long time ago...back when Berke Breathed was making a big deal about it. We'll take him at his word.

We should likely mention that you can read Doonesbury every day at if your paper doesn't carry it. Even if your paper does carry it, Slate has it in colour every day.
Jo Canadian