Geneva did not envision urban warfare with terrorists

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Yeah, I guess while the terrorists are at war with the "insurgents" they can't be held accountable.

in·sur·gent ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-sûrjnt)
adj.
Rising in revolt against established authority, especially a government.
Rebelling against the leadership of a political party.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Wait a second, isn't the US at war now with Insurgents and not terrorists? You can't possibly invade a country and then call their fighting forces terrorists... It was a lie when they said Hussein collaborated with terrorists but now the insurgence are terrorists? Absolutely absurd!!

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Re: RE: Geneva did not envision urban warfare with terrorist

zenfisher said:
Voice your opinion...let MSNBC know that this type of irresponsible journalism will not be tolerated.

Eh, I don't watch MSNBC at all.. Would anybody be able to fill me in quickly?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Yes, these agreements are designed to protect our own young men and women. So, why should we even consider ignoring agreements signed by just about every nation in the world? Well, I'm not talking about ignoring it. Those agreements were designed to apply to NATIONS at war. In Iraq, we're battling tribes, terrorists, and sects— not a nation. The official Iraqi and Afghan governments are long gone. These new enemies will never treat prisoners humanely because of an agreement, nor will they be held accountable for violations of it.

So 2 wrongs DO make a right. Well...I've some adjusting to do.......

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle
Hey Rev.

That is the problem down here. The journalists are so afraid to question the political elite for fear they will be shut out of the Whitehouse. They don't seem to understand if they question policies they will get better stories and the Whitehouse will have to justify their actions.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Geneva did not envisi

Not really. Who owns NBC? Who advertises on NBC? If a reporter to go too hard on the White House they'd be lucky to score a correspondent position in Botswana and if anything important happened there one of the network stars would be airlifted in.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Yeah, but there is nothing on the publishing landscape that equals what Rolling Stone used to be. There is nothing that widely read that will publish those positions and Thompson never really had the kind of access the big boys had anyway.

There are a lot of left-wing places to publish, but most don't pay well (if at all) and aren't widely read. When it comes to TV there is nothing and TV plays a much bigger role now.

There is also a huge disconnect between political and social issues now and the humour is mostly gone from both scenes.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
The Brits didn't follow any Geneva Convention when they were in Northern Ireland[and got away with the same kinds of abuse the Americans are doing]. They also invented the Concentration Camp during the Boer War.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

The British were regularly criticised for what they did in Ireland too. I'm always amazed when the wrongs of others are held up as a justification for what the US is doing now though. Didn't American mothers ever say, "If your friend jumped off a bridge..."