Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat has died

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka

Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat has died in a French hospital after slipping into a deep coma.

Palestinian officials agreed to an offer from Egypt to host a state funeral. Consultations between the Egyptian government and Palestinians took place in the past days and it was agreed to hold the funeral in Cairo to make it easy for Arab leaders to attend, the sources said.

Arafat will reportedly be buried at the location of his Ramallah compound. Originally, Arafat had wished to be buried in the Temple Mount.

Earlier in the week, French doctors announced Arafat's condition had worsened overnight and had slipped deeper into a coma.

Prior to his demise, Arafat's wife - Suha - accused the Palestinian leadership of trying to "bury [Arafat] alive."

Palestinian Speaker of the Parliment Rawhi Fattuh is set to stand in as interim leader for 60-days until a new leader can be appointed.

Arafat was born Mohammed Abdel-Raouf Qudwa al-Hussaeini on August 24, 1929 in Cairo, Egypt.

When he was five years old, he was sent to live with his maternal uncle in Jerusalem, the capital of Palestine, then under British rule.

In 1958, Arafat and his friends founded Al-Fatah, an underground network of secret cells, which in 1959 began to publish a magazine advocating armed struggle against Israel. At the end of 1964, Arafat left Kuwait to become a full-time revolutionary, organizing raids into Israel from Jordan.

On January 20, 1996, Arafat was elected President of the Palestinian National Authority with 83 percent of the vote.

Arafat also shared the Nobel Peace Prize with Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin and Israeli Foreign Minister Shimon Peres in 1994.

Source

:(

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Re: RE: Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat has died

Rick van Opbergen said:
Yep, he has died. I do wonder whether the Palestinian Authority will keep its authority it had under the leadership of Arafat.

Unfortunately, I don't think so. Yassar Arafat led their people through thick and thin, I can only see the situation getting worse. I'm still blown away by the ignorance by the Israeli leadership and their refusal to 'allow' Arafat to be buried in Jerusalem.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
Israel fears riots when he is buried in Jerusalem, I guess. However, I also think Israel doesn't want Arafat to be buried in Jerusalem out of fear it will become a symbol of resistance, martyrdom etc. What I found telling was a Palestinian woman who said "The Palestinian people are divided, but Arafat always managed to build a bridge between all these groups. He kept us together".

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka

Rick van Opbergen said:
Israel fears riots when he is buried in Jerusalem, I guess. However, I also think Israel doesn't want Arafat to be buried in Jerusalem out of fear it will become a symbol of resistance, martyrdom etc. What I found telling was a Palestinian woman who said "The Palestinian people are divided, but Arafat always managed to build a bridge between all these groups. He kept us together".

I think you're wrong on that one, Rick. I heard an Israeli official say "Jerusalem is a place where Jewish kings are buried, not a place for Arab... Terrorists .."

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
RE: Palestinian leadeArafat has died

Maybe he was also poisoned by them. His death is a mystery till now.

He was the Icon of Palestine. He was more important to the Palestinians than their flag and national anthem.

Also, they never sent a delegation to his funeral opposite to what he had done when Rabin died.

PARIS, France (CNN) -- Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat remained in a coma Friday at a French military hospital as concerns heightened over possibilities for his burial and the future of Palestinian leadership.

Although Arafat's family wants a Jerusalem burial, Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon has ruled it out.

Israeli Justice Minister Yosef Lapid lambasted the idea.

"Jerusalem is the city where Jewish kings are buried, and not Arab terrorists," Lapid said.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario

Rick van Opbergen said:
He kept us together".

His services didn't come cheap. He's believed (known) to have pocketed close to,if not over, a billion dollars in aid money while his people lanquish in poverty.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Palestinian leader Ya

A lot of that wasn't really aid money...it was a kick-back for keeping the Palestinians from moving to other Arab nations.

Nobody is saying that Arafat was a saint. He did drag, tooth and nail, the plight of the Palestinian people into the harsh light of the world stage though. He did fight for them when nobody else would. He was no more a terrorist than most Israeli leaders...they committed terrorist acts as young men and Israel's record of killing civilians in Palestine for their own political gain is certainly no secret.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Given the present political situation within Israel and the United States and the likely power struggle within Palestine, I hold out little hope for a positive outcome here.

If there was a president in power in the US who adept at diplomacy he could work to broker a peace. If there was a leader in Israel who was truly interested in peace, he would work with him. So would a Palestinian leader who was interested in peace.

We lack leadership on the two fronts we know about, and the chances of positive leadership apearing on the third front is highly questionable.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario

Rick van Opbergen said:
To all: do you think the death of Yasser Arafat will have a positive effect on the peace process, or a negative one?

There's a peace process?

:wink:

Seriously, I don't think it makes any difference re Palestinian-Israeli relations wise. I think there might be some internal turmoil among Palestinians in terms of a power struggle.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Re: RE: Palestinian leader Ya

Reverend Blair said:
If there was a president in power in the US who adept at diplomacy he could work to broker a peace. If there was a leader in Israel who was truly interested in peace, he would work with him.

Been there tried that...Carter, Clinton, both not only adept but actually had a deal.

Begin, Barak, Rabin all gave it a shot.

So would a Palestinian leader who was interested in peace.

Bingo!

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada

Just the Facts said:
Reverend Blair said:
If there was a president in power in the US who adept at diplomacy he could work to broker a peace. If there was a leader in Israel who was truly interested in peace, he would work with him.

Been there tried that...Carter, Clinton, both not only adept but actually had a deal.

Begin, Barak, Rabin all gave it a shot.

So would a Palestinian leader who was interested in peace.

WRONG.

They did not have a deal. The deal was missing a big part and this why Arafat did not accept it. This big part that they wanted to shove down Arafat's throat was "NO RIGHT OF RETURN".

This is why Arafat did not accept it and any one who replaces Arafat will not either.
Bingo!

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario

moghrabi said:
This is why Arafat did not accept it and any one who replaces Arafat will not either.
Bingo!

Fine. But then why did he sign on to Oslo, Taba and Camp David? He was just kidding?

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
All the mentioned above have the Right of Return as part of the deal. Read them carefully. Only when he was pressured and invited to the White House more than any leader that they told him "Well, accept 98% of this and forget about the Right of Return and we are leaving some settlements in the West bank so it looks like Swiss Cheese and so on and so forth".

Isreal and the US are different faces for the same coin.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
Is the claim of the Right Of Return realistic? What if Palestinians granted this Right Of Return? Will that not case even more struggle, bloodshed and conflict in the Middle East? Do you think that Palestinians from refugeecamps and Israelis can live side by side within one country without an ethnic struggle emerging to the surface?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

I think it can with the right leadership, Rick. Trying to get three leaders into power in 3 nations who can work toward a positive outcome at this point is a bit of a long-shot though.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
When you want this to work out, I think it will be the mentality of the people, and not the effectiveness of the leadership, which you have to work on. And I don't think, with all what has happened the last fifty years, it is realistically possible to adjust the mentality of both nations in such a way, that they can live peacefully side by side. Just take a look at modern South Africa, and you can get a certain impression.