Is Islam a threat to those that do not practice it

Chewy

Nominee Member
Jul 14, 2004
On other forums I'm find there is a growing resentment to those that practice Islam.
Almost daily someone adds to these forums a comment or an article or a quote from the Koran. People site examples of the Islamic fundamentalist movements, the attacks on the WTC and the Pentagon, and more recently the planes in Russia. In all honestly I had little knowledge of Islam, I would like to know more. The question is simply does Islam promote violence and hatred to those that do not embrace it?

undergradNITZ

Electoral Member
Aug 6, 2004
Toronto
thats a great question and i would also like to know...i dont think it does but i think that in some way i think that it is...or its kinda like there in code or something...or it could just be the new hip and trendy thing to do...

bogie

Electoral Member
Jun 21, 2002
Barrie, ON Canada
maltesefalcon.bogart.com
Islam, itself, is a peaceful religion.

I will try and find quotes that support that fact.

You can take quotes from the Christian bible and twist them for violent means also.

Terrorists and middle-east thugs are manipulating the minds of the weak to make them think that Islam says to get rid of us.

Don't forget the so-called Christian crusades that went out to get rid of the infidel sinners, Islam, and Muslims. Same weak excuses and manipulation of the bible.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
undergrandnitz, you really crack me up! I think it would be very interesting to have you on a boat fishing, a combination of you and my brother would make for an interesting day. But one thing that you should know, we do not use death rays on fish around here.

A good question chewy. I admit that Islam interests me as much as christianity does, which does not add to a whole lot for me. I find most religions dangerous as all get out. I do like the the dalia lama tho. He promotes a different kind of message.

We have a lot of japanese people that live on the coast. I knew one that was a fisherman, a commerical one that is before that industry started going in the same direction as the east coast. He told me alot of stories about what happened to his family in world war two. His family spent most of it in a camp in Lethbridge. I don't think they really every got compensated for everything that was taken away from them. How to compensate someone who has been stripped of their dignity? Funny thing about it, his family was born in canada. I think the same thing happens with muslims. All painted with the same brush, because of the actions of a few. Its nothing new, one thing you can count on in this world is history repeating its self, alot.

I know a few muslims, but we really don't talk religion. My friend from kosvo is a muslim, but we would rather talk gardening. I should ask her some questions about her faith, I do know she loves america, she insists they saved her and family and without their intervention in kosvo she might not be around today. Her stories are way to scary for me in that regard. I still find it very hard to disgest that someone would want to harm her or her nice family because they were muslim, religion is a good place for hate to hang around in, they just disquise what they really are, under the guise of a god.

Is there any here at this board that is a muslim? tell us something about your faith and you feelings on what is going on with the way muslims are being painted.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I don't think it's available on-line yet, but the latest issue of the Walrus has an excellent article by Tariq Ali that touches on the influence of Islam on politics and how it is misunderstood/misrepresented in the west.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I'm glad you asked. It's a Canadian general interest magazine that's trying to make it. They publish writers from all over the world as long as the editors feel that the articles will interest Canadian readers. They started up a while back with decent financing and a promise to pay writers a decent rate. A laudable effort given the sorry state of the Canadian magazine industry.

You should buy a subscription, Peapod...you could read it on the boat while you're fishing.

Chewy

Nominee Member
Jul 14, 2004
Here is some of the quotes used to display that Islam hates. these ones are directed at Jews but some feel they apply to Christians as well. These come from the Koran.

2.96. Verily, you will find the Jews the greediest of mankind for life and even greedier than those who ascribe partners to Allah.

3.78. Among them are those who distort the Book with their tongues, so that you may think it is from the Book, but it is not from the Book. They say: "This is from Allah," but it is not from Allah. They speak a lie against Allah while they know it. Do not make friends of those outside your religion, since they will not fail to do their best to corrupt you. They desire to harm you severely. Hatred has already appeared from their mouths, but what their breasts conceal is far worse.

3.120. If a good befalls you, it grieves them, but if some evil overtakes you, they rejoice at it. But if you remain patient and become Al-Muttaqûûn (the pious), not the least harm will their cunning do to you.

4.52. They are those whom Allah has cursed, and he whom Allah curses, you will not find for him any helper.

5.60. ...Those Jews who incurred the Curse of Allah and His Wrath, some of whom He has transformed into monkeys and swine...

5.62. You see many of them hurrying for sin and transgression, and doing illegal things. Evil indeed is that which they have been doing.

5.63. Why do not the rabbis and the doctors of law prohibit them from their speaking of what is sinful and their consuming what is unlawfully acquired? Certainly evil is that which they work...

5.66. ...As for most of them, evil is what they do.

Peapod I was happy to hear about the Dali Lama, I reading one of his books right now.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Chewy,

I don't view the dali Lama or buddhism as a religion, rather a nice vehicle for humanity. Someone im my neighbourhood is a buddhist. kako is her name, she is japanese. Butterfies actually do flutter around her head :D She is just like the the dali lama, always smiling, always peaceful, always something good to say. Ya she definately has something.

Another interesting way of life is the 12 steps of AA. I have a few friends that have this way of life, I am from Port Alberni, alot of drinking goes on and went on in that town. I take interest in what my friends do, I have read the AA material and their 12 steps, you can have a good spiritual life following their way. I really like what my friend told me when I read the material, I said there is alot of God in it, but he said God is just Good,Orderly Direction for him. I liked that, it made sense to me. That way of life works!, I have seen it with my own two eyes with a couple of my friends. They are changed people, for the better. The dali lama is very popular on this island to. :lol:

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Chewy,

Nice question indeed. I am a practicing Moslem. Islam is the religion of peace. As a matter of fact , the word Islam comes from Salam which means peace.

As for the Koran translation you posted above, you have to be careful there. Translation twists the true meaning of the Sura.

Also, you have to look at all of the Koran to make a judgement. The Koran as is the Bible, is based on history. Stories from the past. What you posted above might be a period of time then where the Jews were attacking moslems. Other chapters as most of the Koran teaches us to live side-by-side with everyone. Share with them, give their poor, take from them, treat them as you like to be treated.

Islam, as Christianity and Judiasm, promote peace. Only the few use it for political reasons and this is giving a bad name to the religion itself.

As Boggie mentioned, Christians were out there to kill moslems during the crusades. Jews were killing christians at some time in history.

If you need to learn more, I can lead you to very nice websites that tells you as it is.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
moghrabi,
Translation seems to be a problem in christianity to. Its to bad that in your faith and the christian one, there was not so hate, its very unattractive to people seeking their own holy grail. The dalma lama is very attractive to many people, he is of peace and love, very simple, just like John lennon.

It would be nice if you did post some websites about the Islam faith, so we could understand it better, just the faith tho, not all the nasty hate stuff.

bogie

Electoral Member
Jun 21, 2002
Barrie, ON Canada
maltesefalcon.bogart.com
Thanks moghrabi, I was hoping for your input on the Koran quotes!

We can take the Christian Bible and quote/twist it the same way .... "an eye for an eye", but "turn the other cheek" ... very contradictory.

These "history" books, that are also "religious" documents, were written over time, by human beings influenced by whatever political situation was at hand during their respective time period.

Many present-day politicians, and corporate businesspeople, have been misquoted by many - leaving out other details that should have accompanied the quote in question.

While the Koran and the Bible are Holy books of each religion, they are also "the Devil's workshop" by those who wish to use them that way. It is very apropos that the "sheep" is a symbol of the "flock" of followers in a religion, but sheep can also led to slaughter.

Chewy

Nominee Member
Jul 14, 2004
moghrabi said:
Chewy,

Nice question indeed. I am a practicing Moslem. Islam is the religion of peace. As a matter of fact , the word Islam comes from Salam which means peace.

As for the Koran translation you posted above, you have to be careful there. Translation twists the true meaning of the Sura.

Also, you have to look at all of the Koran to make a judgement. The Koran as is the Bible, is based on history. Stories from the past. What you posted above might be a period of time then where the Jews were attacking moslems. Other chapters as most of the Koran teaches us to live side-by-side with everyone. Share with them, give their poor, take from them, treat them as you like to be treated.

Islam, as Christianity and Judiasm, promote peace. Only the few use it for political reasons and this is giving a bad name to the religion itself.

As Boggie mentioned, Christians were out there to kill moslems during the crusades. Jews were killing christians at some time in history.

If you need to learn more, I can lead you to very nice websites that tells you as it is.
I would love to learn more, thank you for your contribution to this thread. I’m finding that fear is beginning to generate animosity toward Muslims in the US. I hear talk from some of my counter parts in the US about extra supervision placed on Muslims, which the freedoms of the citizens in the US be restricted to those arriving from Islamic countries. Many of the posts that I have seen are from rather educated and well versed people but they lack compassion and understanding. I’m finding that fools can educate themselves by studying foolishness.
I would really appreciate your posting links to those websites.
Thanx Chewy.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
I would first strat with about.com website as it is both neutral and complete. As you read through, you will find links to other parts were you can learn more.

I can post more later, but I am trying to put the right introduction to Islam as not to be understood to be a religion of violence or hate. It is to the contrary as you read through.

Later on, I'll post more links written by scholars that give more detailed description to the religion.

http://islam.about.com/od/basicbeliefs/

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Q. Aren't there some verses of the Qur'an that condone "killing the infidel"?

A.
The Qur'an commands Muslims to stick up for themselves in a defensive battle -- i.e. if an enemy army attacks, then Muslims are to fight against that army until they stop their aggression. All of the verses that speak about fighting/war in the Qur'an are in this context.
There are some specific verses that are very often "snipped" out of context, either by those trying to malign the faith, or by misguided Muslims themselves who wish to justify their aggressive tactics.

For example, one verse (in its snipped version) reads: "slay them wherever you catch them" (Qur'an 2:191). But who is this referring to? Who are "they" that this verse discusses? The preceding and following verses give the correct context:

"Fight in the cause of God those who fight you, but do not transgress limits; for God loves not transgressors.

.... http://islam.about.com/od/terrorism/f/terrorism_verse.htm

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
The Qur'an on Terrorism

What does Islam's holy book say about peace, war, and violence?

Muslims claim that their faith promotes justice, peace, and freedom. Critics of the faith (and some Muslims themselves) cite verses from the Qur'an that seem to promote violent, armed warfare. How can these different images be reconciled?

The entire Qur'an, taken as a complete text, gives a message of hope, faith, and peace to a faith community of one billion people. The overwhelming message is that peace is to be found through faith in God, and justice among fellow human beings.

At the time the Qur'an was revealed (7th century A.D.), there was no United Nations or Amnesty International to keep the peace or expose injustice. Inter-tribal violence and vengeance was commonplace. As a matter of survival, one must have been willing to defend against aggression from all sides. Nevertheless, the Qur'an repeatedly urges forgiveness and restraint, and warns believers not to "transgress" or become "oppressors." Some examples:

http://islam.about.com/library/weekly/aa090402a.htm