Australian PM wants to ban gay marriage

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

CANBERRA, Australia -- Australian Prime Minister John Howard said Thursday his government will move to ban gay marriages and same-sex couples from adopting children from overseas.

The move will likely meet opposition in Parliament's upper house, the Senate, where the government does not have a majority. However the opposition Labor Party also is divided over the issue, which could mean the move will become law.

Howard's announcement also could also meet opposition from some Australian states, which regulate adoption. But the federal government will be able to overrule state authorities in cases involving gay couples bringing a child into Australia from overseas, because it controls immigration.

Howard is a conservative who previously has said he believes marriages are for the continuation of the human race.

But in a concession to gays and lesbians, the government also announced that same-sex partners will be recognized for the first time by federal authorities as dependents, allowing them access to their partner's pension after the partner's death.

Previously only married and common-law partners and children were allowed tax concession on pension pay outs after death.

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Canada has come so far with Gay Rights. Now when you see in the News that Australia is Allowing it, it feels kinda weird to see it being banned. We live in new times where people are accepted for who they are. Still confusing to see the United States and President Bush trying to Ban Gay Marriage!

It is a big shock when you go outside of Canada and hear things like that. Makes me Thankful to be Canadian..... .....and Thankful for Jean Cretien!

Alexander

Electoral Member
Jan 31, 2007
Vancouver, B.C.
It's my personal belief and natural instinct. I would never hurt someone for being gay, I just prefer not to be around them, I find it kind of disturbing.

Alexander

Electoral Member
Jan 31, 2007
Vancouver, B.C.
If you are judging my choice based on my age I can tell you I know 40 year olds that are very anti-gay.

I know they are people but I don't like what they do. Hate the sin and not the sinner.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
yup, this is where our conversation ends. Why? Because if you were my child Id take away your comp, two Id hunt down ANYONE trying to sway my child about values that arent mine.

This is why I will not engage maple about Paganism and I will not engage you in any subgect on family values. Im not a hypocrite and your not mine.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
It's not a sin. It's how they were born for the most part. You don't just decide to be gay. You may decide to steal, kill or cheat. If you are gay you struggle with your desires which for many go against what everyone either teaches them or hopes they will grow to be. I am totally straight. The thought of having sex with another man just creeps me out but I am not about to condemn someone else for it. Hopefully in time you will outgrow this opinion and not become one of the 40 year old anti-gay bashers. I'm betting that gay men bother you way way more than gay women.

Alexander

Electoral Member
Jan 31, 2007
Vancouver, B.C.
I don't know what selfactivated is exactly saying. You would ground me because of my beliefs? First of all I don't need you to treat me as a kid because this is a public forum and you do not have any authority over me. Here, we are all equals whether you like it or not. Except for the mod, whom I am yet to see. Second of all, that does sound rather hypocritical. I was born this way!

They all say gays were born that way but what about cases when people 'turn' gay? They were married to a member of the opposite sex then cheated on them with a person of the same sex. I also heard a story soon when the gay marriage was instated in Canada that a couple wanted a divorce because one of them didn't think being gay was for him/her ( I can't remember the gender) and there was a problem because although the gay marriage was instated gay divorce wasn't. Thats why I remember it, it seemed like a pretty silly case.

I do find gay men more disurbing than gay women because I am a heterosexual but I am not pro-lesbian. They are both on an equal level. I find it awkward to view any gay activity but you win the bet for gay men bothering me more.

Reactions: marygaspe

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
I think it is the way your brain is hard wired. Some will go to great means to deny their true nature or perhaps their way is a bit of both. Wether you are or not, are born or turn is not the issue. The issue is that gays are people too and should be treated with as much respect as anyone else. Being anti-gay is just as bad as being anti-black, anti-jew, anti-muslim, or anti-christian. Chances are if you are straight you will know for sure. If you are gay may be a bit more of a cloudy issue for yourself. they deserve to be treated politely without disparaging remarks being cast in their direction.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
I accept gays are gay by birth. Born through the unconscious process of biology. They're gay. Like I'm Canadian because I was born in Canada. Fact of life. But it doesn't mean I'm not a little concerned about society's rush to embrace what seems to be a gay activist agenda. Marriage is so stressed today it doesn't need the issue of gay marriage further challenging the institution. Gays were offered civil union. It wasn't enough.
And looking at all those folks who are what they are because of birth I have to mention the pedophiles too. No relationship to the gay issue. But like gays, and whites and blacks and Canadians they're most likely born that way. We discriminate against them and legislate against them because their orientation harms others. That is the key difference.
Gay lifestyle doesn't do harm to others but embracing it as equal in marriage might damage the institution. We'll see how it goes.

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

CANBERRA, Australia -- Australian Prime Minister John Howard said Thursday his government will move to ban gay marriages and same-sex couples from adopting children from overseas.

The move will likely meet opposition in Parliament's upper house, the Senate, where the government does not have a majority. However the opposition Labor Party also is divided over the issue, which could mean the move will become law.

Howard's announcement also could also meet opposition from some Australian states, which regulate adoption. But the federal government will be able to overrule state authorities in cases involving gay couples bringing a child into Australia from overseas, because it controls immigration.

Howard is a conservative who previously has said he believes marriages are for the continuation of the human race.

But in a concession to gays and lesbians, the government also announced that same-sex partners will be recognized for the first time by federal authorities as dependents, allowing them access to their partner's pension after the partner's death.

Previously only married and common-law partners and children were allowed tax concession on pension pay outs after death.

Good for him! Now if only our government would be brave enough to do the same!

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007
I don't know what selfactivated is exactly saying. You would ground me because of my beliefs? First of all I don't need you to treat me as a kid because this is a public forum and you do not have any authority over me. Here, we are all equals whether you like it or not. Except for the mod, whom I am yet to see. Second of all, that does sound rather hypocritical. I was born this way!

Oh, don't bother yourself with what Selfactivated has to say to you. She has displayed openly her intolerance for anyone who does not agree with her. You're fine!