Arizona man, 26, charged with bringing loaded handgun into CN Tower

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Arizona man, 26, charged with bringing loaded handgun into CN Tower

A 26-year-old Arizona man has been charged with allegedly bringing a loaded handgun into the CN Tower on Friday afternoon, Toronto police said.

Security officers notified police after a gun was found in a backpack during a routine metal detector screening around 3 p.m., Toronto police Const. David Hopkinson told CP24.

There’s no evidence so far that suggests the man intended to carry out a shooting at the tower, he added.

"He was not targeting somebody," Hopkinson said. "This may have been a simple mistake of what our laws are compared to what the American laws are."

The tourist told police he brought the firearm with him through customs and security at Pearson International Airport last week.

While Hopkinson said that’s possible, investigators have not verified how the gun was transported into the country. It’s also not clear where the gun came from.

Although police are working under the assumption the accused simply didn't know he couldn't have a gun, Torontonians say he should have known better.

"If someone comes into a different country, they should at the very least, brush up on basic laws that they should be following," Maxwell Chan told CTV Toronto.

Ben Traore shares this view.

"The U.S. is different from Canada and if you come into a country where generally a gun is forbidden everywhere, you should know better before you get into a public centre like the CN Tower," he said.

But this isn't common knowledge for everyone.

Kathleen Butte is from Chicago. She says she "wouldn't know off hand" that guns weren't permitted here without proper licensing.

"I would operate under that assumption though," she added.

Erik Hall faces three charges for the possession of a prohibited firearm with ammunition, carrying a concealed weapon and the careless storage of a firearm.

Hall is a registered gun owner in the United States and holds a carry-and-conceal weapons permit in Arizona, police confirmed with CP24.

The accused appeared in a Toronto court on Monday. He was granted bail.

source

Canada defiantly needs a border wall, and have Trump pay for it..

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Sure.... Make excuses for the dolt. If I have an ancient drug conviction and pardon, I'm still not getting into the US. Bust his sorry butt - just for being ignorant

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Sure.... Make excuses for the dolt. If I have an ancient drug conviction and pardon, I'm still not getting into the US. Bust his sorry butt - just for being ignorant
Whyever would I want to make excuses for him? I hope you lock him up for decades. We surely don't need him, and I'd rather you paid to feed his useless carcass than me paying for it.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
OP made all kinds of excuses for him....
Ah, yes. The imbeciles in the OP are. . . well. . . imbeciles. When one goes to another country (or stays in one's own), one has the responsibility to be aware of the laws.

While my "lock him up for decades" above was a hope, I would certainly understand if you simply deport him and tell him not to come back.

Ever.

Taking a couple thousand off him in fines'd be OK, too.