WestJet to launch 'ultra low-cost' no-frills carrier

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
WestJet to launch 'ultra low-cost' no-frills carrier

WestJet says it will unveil a new, ultra-low-cost carrier later this year that will cater to Canadian flyers looking for cheaper fares with no frills.

The new service should take off late this year with a startup fleet of 10 high-density Boeing 737-800s, "subject to agreement with its pilots and any required regulatory approvals," the Calgary-based company said in a release Thursday.

"If you look at the ultra-low-cost carrier market around the world, this means a complete unbundling of services that would have historically or traditionally been included in the fare people pay when they are travelling," Richard Bartrem, WestJet's vice-president of marketing and communications, told CBC News.

"So this is now paying for everything onboard that experience. That's from checked bags to bags that you bring in onboard with you, but ultimately driving lower costs for consumers."

WestJet's new yet-to-be-named offering will be in competition with NewLeaf, which launched at the beginning of 2016, offering ultra-low fares between several Canadian cities for as little as $89 for a one-way flight.

WestJet started in 1996 as a discount carrier with three aircraft serving five destinations in Western Canada.

The airline, together with regional carrier WestJet Encore, now offers scheduled flights to more than 100 destinations in North America, Central America, the Caribbean and Europe.​

Air Canada launched its discount brand Rouge flights in 2013 with service to destinations Europe and the Caribbean.

Bartrem says consumers around the world have started to embrace the idea of ultra-low-cost air travel, but Canadian airlines have so far been slow to respond, partly because of the country's unique geographical challenges.

"You are seeing airlines going to start coming into this market. We believe the best way for us to compete effectively, to bring lower fares for the consumer, is to launch our own ultra-low-cost carrier," he said. "We believe WestJet is well poised to bring that model to Canada."

What frills?

Some CBC News readers reacted with sarcasm at WestJet's announcement, questioning what frills are left to be discarded.

"How much more 'no frills' can it get? Your seat's an overturned milk crate, the meal is a packet of dust with a single M&M, and the entertainment is a dirty sock and a marker so you can make a puppet out of it?" wrote Jason Tremblay in the comment section.

"What are these frills we are supposedly getting now? Seats?" wrote John Smith.

source

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
When you aren't strapped in you have a better chance of being thrown clear in the event of a crash.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I thought that WestJet WAS an 'ultra low-cost' no-frills carrier!

They started out as one, anyway.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Yes, so would I. When I was in the service, I took several flights where I was either sitting on the floor (but belted in) or sitting in a Herc on web straps. I suppose they wouldn't allow commercial air lines to do that though.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Yes, so would I. When I was in the service, I took several flights where I was either sitting on the floor (but belted in) or sitting in a Herc on web straps. I suppose they wouldn't allow commercial air lines to do that though.

Sounds almost a bad as riding in a twin otter and the bush pilot is still drunk.. lol