Not too much coming out of Afghanistan

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
because, as of this post, it is 0300 hrs there. It's dark and US observation a/c will need to snoop around when it gets light out in order to access what's happening in the area. I am hopeful that we will start hearing things in about three hrs.

Finding out exactly how much damage was done will be difficult to determine for a few days. The US said that caves were one of their targets, and frankly, what and who were in them, and how much destruction was delivered will take time.

For those who may be curious, a GBU-43 is a guided bomb, hence GBU, with an approximate weight of 22,600 lb. Approximately 18,700 of it is explosive filler. The bomb is detonated by proximity fuzing, that is, the fuze is programmed to function at a certain distance above the ground.

It is not a fragmentation bomb. The large amount of HE (high explosive) composition inside is designed to create a large pressure wave, which violently moves the air. The leading edge of the wave moving into a cave will cause the air inside to compress because there will not be adequate ventilation to allow the air to flow out. A poor analogy, but think of a pop can that you shake and then open. There is violent venting and you get covered in carbonated water.

The people inside will have their ears ruptured, body parts torn off, guts forced out and shaken apart. How much so depends on where they are in proximity to the blast. Although the MOAB is not a fragmentation bomb, this rapid, violent air movement will cause any debris, natural or man made, to be blown around, striking whoever or whatever is in the way.

The lucky ones will be the people standing exposed to the pressure wave as it travels outward. They'll basically be torn to atoms. The unfortunate ones will be the ones who are too far away to be killed instantly, but encounter the blast wave or frag flying around in the air.

Apart from its size, this is a conventional HE bomb. Besides satellite imagery and fly overs, the only way to fully assess the damage is for people to go in and look around. It will be interesting to read about this part of the operation. They will want to itemize equipment and personnel losses not only to complete the after action report, but to discover how effective the MOAB was on its first deployment.

You can read a little about the GBU-43 here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GBU-43/B_Massive_Ordnance_Air_Blast

Last edited:

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
well, at least they didn't hit the opium
;)
on with the flow
can't have any american money laundering banks going under without drug money to launder
washingmachinington...yah dig?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
****, Russia made Israel and the US 'donate' the elite of ISIS for Syria and Iraq. When Trump slipped and said the attack was against Iraq this is what unfolded so he was thinking about the future rather than the past. Either way what do they tell the ones that were expecting somebody with the 'news plans' to show up with, wait for it, some new plans. We've been stabbed in the back is supposed to slowing sink in unless you are as important as Saddam. Then instead of 'Where are those guys.' is is shortened up to just 'F*ck,'. That was Donny's new word last weekend.

Did he get the joke when China is quoted as saying ' trump has a small missile.'?

China Says Trump Has Small Missile Strikes

China's state news agency described Trump's Syria strikes as "the act of a weakened politician who needed to flex his muscles"
China Says Trump Has Small Missile Strikes

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Unfortunately for you I just got up and I have finished my daily chores. Now I can dive into the agenda driven things. SUP??

How do you take 'all of one' Magnesium is it pal. Cramps in the legs if I don't keep a daily routine going. For nap time, a jigger of ACV and the appropriate amount of baking soda so it can be drank like a shooter. If you are expecting me to croak anytime soon I can assure you it will be at least a decade.

I won't even have to add anything to my list of things to do before then. Both my father and grandfather died 2 weeks before their 76th birthday,

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
...and the US still lost eh?
;)
while the viet cong beat the US by re-use of what didn't explode when it hit the ground

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Yes, that's what many people called it, but it was actually an explosive mixture with the consistency of warm toffee. They were usedin Vietnam and Afghanistan.

It differed from the MOAB in a few respects. Because it was designed to make helicopter landing areas, the explosion had to happen closer to, but above ground. It used a fuze extension which set off the explosive train on impact. The other thing was the composition of the main charge. In consistency only, it was like napalm. Napalm was gellied gas. Which, when properly mixed, took on the thickness of toffee sitting in the sun. Gooey.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Those fully fuelled airliners that hit the World Trade Centre were fuel-air bombs, in principle.

Oh, I forgot. The Jews brought those towers down with dynamite because you can douse a cigarette in JP.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
You can douse a cigarette in virtually any flammable liquid. It's the fumes above the liquid that are the big concern.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
You can douse a cigarette in virtually any flammable liquid. It's the fumes above the liquid that are the big concern.

I used to fill up a Zippo with JP-5. It worked okay ...was a bit smoky and it left a rectangular rash behind my pocket but it burned real good.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
According to the weather computer, it's been about 1/2 hr since sunrise in Nangarhar province. The forecast is for sun, but apparently it's hazy out. I know there are a bunch of generals, impatiently waiting to find out what happened on the ground at the target site.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
According to the weather computer, it's been about 1/2 hr since sunrise in Nangarhar province. The forecast is for sun, but apparently it's hazy out. I know there are a bunch of generals, impatiently waiting to find out what happened on the ground at the target site.

Whoops ... another school ...

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Oh the wonders of war. Sounds like a bunch of guys on here get a proxy erection from Trump's big orgasm last night. Y'all be sickos.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Oh the wonders of war. Sounds like a bunch of guys on here get a proxy erection from Trump's big orgasm last night. Y'all be sickos.
I'm not sure if firing all your bullets off in the first volley is the smart thing to do. If he treats other nations like this is Disneyland then once he gets focused on the homeland thing might go better. Name lthe Pentegram Syria on his maps and say 'go' to town after announcing a special holiday

I hate violence Cliffy.
One side is way worse than the other.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
It's 0645 hrs in Nangarhar now. The intel should be flowing. I hope they release some information before bedtime. Drones, helicopters, satellites, observation a/c and whoever they have on the ground that can get close.

Too early still to get reliable news, but this is what's floating around at this hour. A little tidbit that has not been confirmed.
---

The US has currently declined to give any details on the result of the MOAB bombing in Afghanistan.

The target was said to be an ISIS base and tunnels in the east of Afghanistan.

But Independent Journal Review, a US news website, is reporting that at least 100 ISIS fighters have been killed. This is based on a report with freelance journalist Ahmad Wali Sarhadi in Afghanistan.

He told the IJR: “ISIS’s biggest complex in Afghanistan is destroyed.

“They say more than 100 ISIS members are killed. The casualties may get higher.”
(Higher causalities? Pretty fair assumption. - murphy)

Live updates as US 'in position to launch preemptive strike against North Korea' after MOAB attack in Afghanistan - Mirror Online
---

(Freelance Journalist) Sarhadi gave us a report from the local officials in Nangarhar:

"Yeah, I am on the line with local officials of Nangarhar. They say a big complex of ISIS has been destroyed by the dropping of the bomb from the U.S.! ISIS's biggest complex in Afghanistan is destroyed. They say more than 100 ISIS members are killed. The casualties may get higher."

Sarhadi also noted that while there are no official reports on civilian casualties yet, an official has said that they're still possible.

While other information on the attack will surface in the coming hours, this is one of the first reports on known casualties.

According to this initial casualty estimate, this would be one of the most effective military strikes against ISIS yet.