Not the best way to handle overbooking

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Police are filmed dragging man off United Airlines flight | Daily Mail Online

United's CEO apologized today after a man claiming to be a doctor was left bloodied and unconscious as he was dragged off an overbooked flight to make room for staff.
The airline is facing mounting outrage after video emerged of the man being forced to give up his seat by three cops who slammed his head against an arm rest - then dragged him off the flight by the arms as he bled from the mouth.
Airline Chief Executive Oscar Munoz released a statement after the airline earlier stood by its staff in the incident at Chicago O'Hare on Sunday night.
He said: 'This is an upsetting event to all of us here at United. I apologize for having to re-accommodate these customers.
'Our team is moving with a sense of urgency to work with the authorities and conduct our own detailed review of what happened. We are also reaching out to this passenger to talk directly to him and further address and resolve this situation."
The man - who claimed to be a doctor and said he needed to see patients the next morning - was one of four passengers selected by United to leave the 5.40pm flight from O'Hare to Louisville, Kentucky.
United had unsuccessfully appealed for volunteers who were willing to give up their seats for $800, stay in a hotel and fly the next day. The passengers were removed so airline staff could get to Louisville to man a flight the following day.
When the appeal failed, United staff selected four passengers by computer. A manager told passengers that the unlucky four were chosen at random - although many airlines automatically choose passengers with the lowest fares and who were last to check-in to offload.

------

Should overbooking not be illegal? It is fraud to sell something one does not own is it not?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
You do not think he could win a lawsuit in court for this?
No chance. Overbook bumps are provided for in the contract of carriage, i.e., they had the right to throw him off the plane. The goon squad was wearing Chicago PD stars, so they have qualified immunity.

Finally, the captain has the absolute right to refuse to fly anybody.

As I said, they'll throw him a few thou to shut him up, and threaten to prosecute him for "refusing to obey lawful orders of the crew" if he digs his heels in.

Because freedom!

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
But they'll toss him 20K to 50K regardless. Not such a sure win for United if they're willing settle.

Because Justice!

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
You do not think he could win a lawsuit in court for this?
Considering the airlines have deep pockets and big lawyers, United could simply drag it out for years until he gives up. Because it sure ain't like United has any legal or moral high ground here.

It's everywhere though. Air Canada has come up with the brilliant money grab of having you insure your ticket purchase in case the morons overbook your flight. It's practically a form of racketeering.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Overbooking is free speech. I say good on the Chicago PD for dragging that Bolshevik scum off the plane on his whiny commie ass. United should compensate him with a one way flight to the GDR.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
Overbooking is free speech. I say good on the Chicago PD for dragging that Bolshevik scum off the plane on his whiny commie ass. United should compensate him with a one way flight to the GDR.

That's a bit of a leap I think. I don't know where free speech factors into this, and its not like this guy was being removed because he was drunk and belligerent or something.

Of course we don't know all the details, but what was reported is that they knew the flight was oversold but decided to board it anyway, bad move on the part of the staff. Denied boarding should happen at the gate, they have the computers, passenger lists and seat assignments, along with non claustrophobic open space. This happens all the time and on the rare occasion if there is an altercation it can be dealt with at the local level. Financial and other compensation are usually enough to calm things down. Once on board, however, the atmosphere changes entirely, and things can escalate to violence and become more of a federal issue, with far more paperwork and grief than need be.

Overbooking is a practice I have never agreed with, sure it might help the bottom line by filling more seats, but its the frontline staff that have to deal with the nastiness and the inconvenienced customers, and the crews who have to deal with unnecessary delays that snowball throughout the day. To my knowledge WestJet doesn't do it and they seem to do alright.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
That's a bit of a leap I think. I don't know where free speech factors into this, and its not like this guy was being removed because he was drunk and belligerent or something.

Overbooking is speech. This man protesting his being kicked off the plane and not going quietly is an attack on United Airline's freedom of speech. United was well within their rights to offer the man a second amendment solution to his complaints. He should be thankful the state hauled him off instead of watering the tree of liberty.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
Overbooking is speech. This man protesting his being kicked off the plane and not going quietly is an attack on United Airline's freedom of speech. United was well within their rights to offer the man a second amendment solution to his complaints. He should be thankful the state hauled him off instead of watering the tree of liberty.

That might all be true...in some strange parallel universe somewhere, but certainly not in the one the rest of us inhabit.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Man this guy is going kick azz in the lawsuit. United better settle as this case is a slam dunk for any lawyer whose is even remotely competent.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
He was assaulted. He had every legal right to be where he was, had paid his fare, was there originally by the invitation of the airline (thus not tresspassing) was minding his own business and he was attacked by some truly moronic "security" people. Not only should he sue United for the value of their airplane, the "security" guard (maybe all of them) should be charged with assault. He should file a complaint with the local police to press charges.