Free movement between Canada, UK, Australia and New Zealand proposed post-Brexit

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Free movement between Canada, UK, Australia and New Zealand proposed post-Brexit

A non-profit group promoting freedom of movement between Canada, Britain, Australia, and New Zealand is set to submit its post-Brexit plan to the UK government.

Britain officially triggered its departure from the European Union this week, with negotiations over the next two years set to determine the terms of the divorce.

CANZUK International believes the way forward for Britain is free trade and movement of people with Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.

Chief Executive James Skinner told Daily Hive he plans submit the proposals to the UK government in the next week.

“We have already received support from multiple high-profile politicians and diplomats,” said Skinner by email. “We have also arranged meetings with senior government officials to get our proposals underway.”

According to a release, the organization’s proposals for the four “CANZUK” countries are:

• Citizens of Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom should have the right to live, work and study in each others’ countries

• That freedom of movement should be based on the Trans-Tasman Travel Agreement between Australia and New Zealand

• Customs and commerce restrictions should be removed through the establishment of a comprehensive multilateral free trade agreement between the CANZUK countries

• CANZUK countries should cooperate more on intelligence, defence, and foreign policy, to help the Five Eyes Intelligence Alliance, NATO and the UN Security Council

• The right to freedom of movement would mean all CANZUK passport holders could undertake any form of work in the other countries.

However, under CANZUK International’s plan, they would not be able to claim social welfare payments until they had spent four years in their host country.

According to CANZUK, a poll they conducted showed 77% of Canadians support the ides of freedom of movement with Britain, Australia, and New Zealand.

Meanwhile, they say, 64% of Brits support it, with 72% of Australians and 81% of Kiwis on board with the idea too. The polling methodology is not known.

CANZUK International is the evolution of the Commonwealth Freedom of Movement Organization, founded by Skinner.

The organization launched a petition on Change.org calling for freedom of movement between the CANZUK countries, which has now been signed more than 181,275 times.

According to the CANZUK International site, Skinner has worked extensively in the Australian and British governments.

Meanwhile, he has now also been joined by Chairman John Bender and Member of the Advisory Board Sir Michael Craig-Cooper in his CANZUK quest.

According to the website, Bender is chairman of Bender & Co. Holdings Ltd, an investment office “associated with one of the founding families of a FTSE 100 publishing concern.”

Craig-Cooper served as Vice Lord Lieutenant of Greater London and has served as a board member of the National Bank of Kuwait, says the website.

Same sovereign, same language

The group is not alone in promoting the idea of freedom of movement between Canada, the UK, Australia and New Zealand.

Back in January, a report by the Free Enterprise Group said Britain should take advantage of Brexit by offering freedom of movement to Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.

The report, titled Reconnecting with the Commonwealth: the UK’s free trade opportunities, had several suggestions for visa arrangements between the four countries.

It also cited British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson, and former Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott, who have both backed free trade and movement for the two countries.

Skinner told Daily Hive that Britain, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand are economically and socially developed to function under free trade and free movement protocols.

“Canada will be part of our CANZUK negotiations as it shares numerous similarities with Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom; the same Sovereign, the same respect for democracy, the same common law legal system and the same language,” he said.

source: Free movement between Canada, UK, Australia and New Zealand proposed post-Brexit | Daily Hive Vancouver

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
The UK doesn't seem to want free movement. However, I suppose we could have a 'two-speed' CANZUK agreement with all the other states having free movement of people and the UK enjoying only free trade if that's what it wants.

However, we could propose a CANZUK agreement that guarantees the freedom of each state to negotiate free trade agreements with the rest of the world unhindered. After all, the UK will always depend more on the EU, Canada on the UK, and Australia and New Zealand with Indonesia for trade for example.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Dorothy and ToTo?

The Lollipop Guild?

not much on real world geography are you?
explains a lot
;)

The UK doesn't seem to want free movement. However, I suppose we could have a 'two-speed' CANZUK agreement with all the other states having free movement of people and the UK enjoying only free trade if that's what it wants.

However, we could propose a CANZUK agreement that guarantees the freedom of each state to negotiate free trade agreements with the rest of the world unhindered. After all, the UK will always depend more on the EU, Canada on the UK, and Australia and New Zealand with Indonesia for trade for example.

I think the old fashioned way of using your own resources to build stuff other people don't, and sell that to people that have what you do not, and then buy their stuff from them, would work just fine
:)
like it always did before

at about 1177BC there was a smaller globalish freetrade set up in the Mediterranean area and when things got stupid like they are getting for us today, they collapsed mightily

1177 BC: The Year Civilization Collapsed (Eric Cline, PhD)
[youtube]bRcu-ysocX4[/youtube]

you have to stay independantly local and trade that way
we should learn

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
What better way to promote independence than tie yourself to another set of countries.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Pipe dream.

How so? The higher the carbon tax is, the more it promotes localized trade.

As an example, why would a company in Montreal buy from and sell to Vancouver when it could buy from and sell to New York city at much lower cost due to reduced need for fuel in trade between those two cities?

Of course buying and selling copyrights, software, apps, patents, etc. will be less affected by the carbon tax, and some specialized items might be able to just absorb the cost due to a certain degree of monopolization, but generally speaking a carbon tax does at least encourage more localized trade.

What better way to promote independence than tie yourself to another set of countries.

As society becomes ever more advanced, it inevitably becomes ever more interdependent. That's why we winess the progression from the tribe to the city state to the nation state to the federations and international organizations of today. If you want extreme sovereignty, copy North Korea.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
We had this decades ago. When I lived in Australia I was allowed to vote because I was automatically an Australian citizen due to my Canadian passport.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
We had this decades ago. When I lived in Australia I was allowed to vote because I was automatically an Australian citizen due to my Canadian passport.

It's too bad the UK has to choose between the EU and CANZUK. The ideal would have been if the UK could be a member of both simultaneously.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It's too bad the UK has to choose between the EU and CANZUK. The ideal would have been if the UK could be a member of both simultaneously.

The Birtish people obviously don't think that.

It's similar to how resident UK citizens are allowed to vote in Republic of Ireland elections and resident Republic of Ireland citizens are allowed to vote in UK elections. In UK law, the Irish aren't counted as foreigners.

And citizens of the Republic of Ireland, the UK, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands are allowed to pass freely between each others' nations thanks to the Common Travel Area (CTA), which predates the EU by over 50 years.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I think the return of nationalism in economics and culture means we can define the immigration to Canada in terms consistent with maintaining the cultural integrity of Canada's origins, broadly defined, and without deeming ourselves racist.

But that doesn't mean we should guarantee access to anyone in particular. That is another form of globalism which has and is failing catastrophically. To the extent that it at least acknowleges the failure of multiculturism (founded on white man's guilt), so dear to heart of our douchebag PM, well that should be acknowledged.

Last edited:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
A carbon tax would tend to promote more localized trade.

A carbon tax scam would encourage imports from places that do not impose the added cost to manufacturing.

Free movement of people between the different countries could make it difficult to keep wage rates up. Especially when someplace like Britain gets a lefty government that creates a recession.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
A carbon tax scam would encourage imports from places that do not impose the added cost to manufacturing.

Free movement of people between the different countries could make it difficult to keep wage rates up. Especially when someplace like Britain gets a lefty government that creates a recession.

We've had wide-open immigration from the UK for most of our history, anyway.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
If we allow Britons to travel back and forth unchecked, we are asking for them to transport their problems here. They fouled their own nest. We don't need their troubles.

Open immigration was because of our ties to them. They must be severed, and quickly. Not encouraged! An analogy: It's like allowing a bunch of smallpox infected people to run amok among healthy people.

My feeling is that immigrants going there will be fed over to us by the UK government. Not a good idea. If you wish to come here, go through the process, otherwise, stay the hell out.

Mercifully, this situation will get bogged down with bureaucratic problems and not happen the way it is proposed.