Man kills three suspected burglars with AR-15 rifle

Locutus
+2
sometimes there's good news.

and lizzy probably wished she had just stayed home.

BROKEN ARROW, Oklahoma - Sources identified the three teen suspects killed in a burglary attempt in Broken Arrow on Monday.

The Wagoner County Sheriff's Office confirmed the names just before 8:00 Tuesday night as Max Cook, Jacob Redfearn and Jaykob Woodruff.

A woman who told authorities she was the getaway driver for the three teens knew the homeowner who shot them, according to court documents.

Elizabeth Rodriguez was in court Tuesday for a first appearance before a judge. Authorities plan to charge Rodriguez, 21, with three counts of first-degree felony murder for her alleged role in the burglary that led to the shooting deaths of three young men.

She was arrested after turning herself in at the Broken Arrow Police Department.

Court documents indicate the homeowner who fired the shots is Zachary Peters, 23, and that Rodriguez knew him by name. The documents note Rodriguez planned the burglary, took the three boys to the house, and was waiting in the driveway until she heard shots and left.

Wagoner County deputies said she turned herself in to give officers the names of the dead so their parents could be notified.

She was booked into jail on several complaints, including three counts of 1st-degree murder.

The sheriff says his office will release the identities once the Medical Examiner has positively identified them.

Three Teen Burglary Suspects Killed In Broken Arrow Identified - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com | (external - login to view)

Oklahoma man kills three suspected burglars with AR-15 rifle | Reuters (external - login to view)

Curious Cdn
Broke & Narrow Oklahoma.

EagleSmack
+1
"This is a pretty uncommon thing for Wagoner County," Mahoney said of the shooting.

For good reason!

IdRatherBeSkiing
I am unclear why she is being charged with 1st degree murder. I can see trespassing and burglary charges and the like. But she didn't pull the trigger. I also don't think the homeowner should be charged either.

It's a good thing the thugs are white-ish or there may be some questions to answer.

petros
+1
It was her bad idea to put them in harms way. They'll never try that again.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

It was her bad idea to put them in harms way. They'll never try that again.

Certainly the 3 dead ones won't.

Kreskin
+1
Nothing in this world has more value than a house full of Wal-Mart stuff.

Johnnny
+1
Holy jeez. You figure after the 1st intruder went down that the message got across and possibly a cease fire would have been in line... 3 people is a lot especially when there is only 1 gun. The law should not have given this guy the right to cull the lot. This guy went full beast mode and here is my evidence for why i think this particular gun operator here is a nut case.

Crazy Guys House
1 gun
3v1
3 deaths
1 minute duration?

Gunfight at the OK Corral
9 guns
4v5
3 deaths
30 seconds

The numbers speak for themselves.

Kreskin
+1
But Johnny, the second guy had his Black and Decker toaster!

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

But Johnny, the second guy had his Black and Decker toaster!

I could see that type of overkill for a microwave but not a toaster.

Kreskin
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

I could see that type of overkill for a microwave but not a toaster.

He paid full retail.

Ludlow
Drove through that lovely town about 8 years ago from Hot Springs to Phoenix. Damn clutch wasn't working right so I had to pull over and adjust the pedal to the max. I made it to Phoenix though driving damn near without a clutch. Yeah Broken Arrow was a lovely place.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnnyView Post

Holy jeez. You figure after the 1st intruder went down that the message got across and possibly a cease fire would have been in line... 3 people is a lot especially when there is only 1 gun. The law should not have given this guy the right to cull the lot. This guy went full beast mode and here is my evidence for why i think this particular gun operator here is a nut case.

Crazy Guys House
1 gun
3v1
3 deaths
1 minute duration?

Gunfight at the OK Corral
9 guns
4v5
3 deaths
30 seconds

The numbers speak for themselves.

Without his rifle it was 3:1. What was their plan to do to him if he were unarmed?

Ask for his stuff nicely and leave him unharmed?

Decapoda
+1

I am unclear why she is being charged with 1st degree murder. I can see trespassing and burglary charges and the like. But she didn't pull the trigger. I also don't think the homeowner should be charged either.

It's a good thing the thugs are white-ish or there may be some questions to answer.

I agree, crazy isn't it? It's too bad people rush to judgement based on skin colour .Pop a few white thugs... no big deal, shoot a few non-white thugs and it's time to riot.

petros
She is Hispanic, one of the dead an Injun and 2 Caucasians.

Bar Sinister
+1
We are missing details. There is no info on whether or not the dead teens were armed or not or if the shooter tried to apprehend them without shooting or if any members of the man's family were endangered. If the gun owner simply shot the suspects down then he is guilty of murder by most standards.

Hoof Hearted
I agree. We need more details to this story.

I did a ton of stupid stuff when I was young and nobody ever blew my head off. Just glad I did it in Canada.

personal touch

Certainly the 3 dead ones won't.

Good point

EagleSmack
+4
#19  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar SinisterView Post

We are missing details. There is no info on whether or not the dead teens were armed or not or if the shooter tried to apprehend them without shooting or if any members of the man's family were endangered. If the gun owner simply shot the suspects down then he is guilty of murder by most standards.

Nope

The male intruders were wearing all-black clothing, masks and gloves, while one was armed with a knife and another had brass knuckles, according to authorities.

Never enter a house that is not your own with masks, gloves, a knife and brass knuckles.

Danbones
unless you are batman

Jinentonix
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

Nope

The male intruders were wearing all-black clothing, masks and gloves, while one was armed with a knife and another had brass knuckles, according to authorities.

Never enter a house that is not your own with masks, gloves, a knife and brass knuckles.

Just ignore BS. He's one of those bleeding heart types who thinks a criminal becomes the victim the moment their intended victim turns the tables on them.

EagleSmack
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by JinentonixView Post

Just ignore BS. He's one of those bleeding heart types who thinks a criminal becomes the victim the moment their intended victim turns the tables on them.

It looks like that doesn't it. Three thugs went into a home with weapons that show clear intent to do violence if they choose to and are met with deadly force by the home owner.... but the home owner is now at fault because he defended himself.

da faq?

Kreskin
Quote: Originally Posted by LudlowView Post

Drove through that lovely town about 8 years ago from Hot Springs to Phoenix. Damn clutch wasn't working right so I had to pull over and adjust the pedal to the max. I made it to Phoenix though driving damn near without a clutch. Yeah Broken Arrow was a lovely place.

Good that you didn't get shot.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

Good that you didn't get shot.

He did not have a toaster.

Curious Cdn
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoof HeartedView Post

I did a ton of stupid stuff when I was young and nobody ever blew my head off. Just glad I did it in Canada.

Cripes!

So, it was YOU, eh?

Murphy
+1
It's nice to know that despite it only being a .224 diameter projectile, it can still get the job done. I wonder if Peters used JSP or mono projectiles?

B00Mer
+1
Geeez man, talk about picking the wrong house... LOL

bobnoorduyn

That is not that uncommon in the US. I am not that clear on their laws but if you are a party to a felony where it is reasonable to assume that violence might take place, even if you don't actively participate in it as was her case, and someone dies as a result, felony murder charges can be laid, as opposed to just being an accomplice. Convicts have met their end that way even when the actual murderers' capital sentences have been commuted to life. Weird for sure.

Quote: Originally Posted by MurphyView Post

It's nice to know that despite it only being a .224 diameter projectile, it can still get the job done. I wonder if Peters used JSP or mono projectiles?

Well, they're legal for deer in many jurisdictions, so that says something.

Curious Cdn
youtu.be/dLxJ4ViggR4 (external - login to view)

Bar Sinister
Quote: Originally Posted by JinentonixView Post

No, I am someone who would be quite concerned if a crazed neighbour gunned down three criminals next to my home. Did the gunman even fire a warning shot or attempt to warn the criminal away? From the reports of the incident he only called the police after he had already killed the three intruders. That is the sort of vigilante justice that endangers the innocent as well as the guilty.

no new posts