Soldiers take over pub to stop its closure

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Army veterans have taken over the pub their regiment was formed in 312 years ago after it was at risk of closure.

The Staffordshire Regiment was formed in The King's Head in Lichfield in Staffordshire in 1705.

Staffordshire veterans take over historic Lichfield army pub

26 March 2017
BBC News

Hundreds of people gathered outside the pub at the opening ceremony

Army veterans have taken over the pub their regiment was formed in 312 years ago after it was at risk of closure.

The Staffordshire Regiment was formed in The King's Head in Lichfield in Staffordshire in 1705.

When they heard the landlord was retiring and it may be turned into a bed and breakfast, veterans and well-wishers raised almost £65,000 to take over a 10-year lease.

A procession marked the opening of the pub, in Bird Street, on Saturday.

An opening ceremony took place 312 years to the day the regiment was formed

Veteran Geoff Pearce said: "Someone that lives locally saw the building advertised for sale - the outgoing landlord was retiring and, rumour had it, it was going to be turned into a bed and breakfast.

"I had a phonecall off one of my colleagues asking 'How do think about us buying the lease?' I thought he'd lost the plot.

Veterans and their supporters raised £65,000 in two weeks to take over the lease

"The more I spoke to him the more he convinced me it could be a goer.

"It took two weeks for over 350 of the ex-members and the families to pledge £65,000. That's how much it meant to the veterans and the residents."

Steve Knight, a former corporal, said it was an "honour" to be the landlord.

Built in 1408, the pub is the oldest in the city. Colonel Luke Lillingston raised a regiment of volunteers in the pub on 25 March 1705.

In 1782 it was given the title of the 1st Staffordshire Regiment.

It has been used as a meeting place for soldiers and veterans ever since.

Colonel Luke Lillingston

Built in 1408, The King's Head is the oldest pub in Lichfield. Known as The King's Head since 1650, the year after Charles I's execution, it was previously known as The Antelope and The Bush

Staffordshire veterans take over historic Lichfield army pub - BBC News

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
The Muslims are your masters. Do as you're told. selfsame will be along shortly to take charge of you.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Maybe, they should open a hookah bar. I don't know about you but I'd happily patronise an haram full of hookahs.

No. That's a harem.

At a mere 609 years old, The King's Head in Lichfield is a mere whippersnapper.

Ye Olde Man and Scythe here in Bolton was built in 1251. It was 400 years old even when the 7th Earl of Derby had his block knocked off outside just weeks after the English Civil War ended.