Telephone Scams

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
I've been getting a lot of long distance calls the last few days. When I google the number, the scam alert notice comes up from other people. Also keep getting called by 'Numeris'.

Are any of you guys/gals getting an overabundance of these types of calls recently?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
They sometimes even spoof local numbers, and when you try calling back the number, you get a phone company recording that says something to the effect that the number you have dialed is not in service....
I have over 50 such numbers blocked, that can't call me again.....

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I've been getting a lot of long distance calls the last few days. When I google the number, the scam alert notice comes up from other people. Also keep getting called by 'Numeris'.

Are any of you guys/gals getting an overabundance of these types of calls recently?

It's those dam Collection Agencies.. pay your bills and they will stop calling :lol:

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
Funny you should mention that...

Got a call from my Bank pitching Identity Theft Insurance. I told the guy on the other end I'd feel sorry for anybody who stole my identity. I owe so many people so much money, the poor guy would never get a moment's peace! :)

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Funny you should mention that...

Got a call from my Bank pitching Identity Theft Insurance. I told the guy on the other end I'd feel sorry for anybody who stole my identity. I owe so many people so much money, the poor guy would never get a moment's peace! :)

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
I love when the dickweeds call saying they're from Rogers. It's always someone with an Indian or Pakistani accent and the number usually comes up as "private name, private number" but when Rogers actually does call me, their name and number come up.
They usually start right after I answer with "hello" and tell me they're calling from Rogers and then immediately "note" that I still use Bell for my telcom services. At which point I make them stop their quick talk and say, "The number you have called was issued by Rogers. Don't you think Rogers would already know I'm a f*cking customer?" They're getting so brazen anymore the last time the worthless sacks of **** called was on a goddam Sunday. Morning even! That's ok though. I just subject them to the kind of verbal abuse I save just for them, and other similar twits calling my place. I call it my "trucker with Tourettes" persona.

Some Idiot: Hello, I'm calling from Vindows...
Me: What? You want to sell me some windows?
Some Idiot: No no, sir. I am calling from Vindows technical support.
Me: That's ok, my windows open and close just fine. Not really a lot of complicated parts or electronics for there to be any technical issues.
Some Idiot: No no. The vindows on your computer. I am calling you from Vindows technical support as we have a received notice from your computer that there is a problem vith vindows on your computer.
Me: Huh, that's odd, because Windows is a program and Microsoft is the company with the technical support.
Some Idiot: Yes but...
Me: And I run Linux so I'm not sure how you could have received any notice from my computer.
Some Idiot: *click*

I've also noticed that VOIP doesn't work well when it's used to call landlines still using the old tech. I get quite a few calls where I answer but there's complete silence on the other end, even from legit calls.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Persistent calls ....I ask them to call me on my other line because I'm already taking a call on this one....
I give them my other number (705) 335- 2221 .....
I never hear from them again.....You want to know why...call the number...It's an unlisted number, internal number for that organization...