Friday's Canadian job report is NOT good news!

Curious Cdn
+1
It's going to get worse. Automation is about to hit all sorts of sectors from accountancy to truck and taxi driving. It's not the Chinese, not the Mexicans doing that. It is us doing it to ourselves with our own technological excellence. The problem is that our system has not caught up with the problem of suddenly having to care for what has historically been the most productive part of our civilization. Our vestigial Calvinism won't allow us to pay people to do nothing but both white collar and blue collar jobs are falling like bowling pins, never to be replaced and, unless some provision is made for those people, they will tear the whole edifice down, someday. Trump can't do bugger all to turn it around but those angry, disenfranchised workers have been conned by him into thinking that he can ... hence the scapegoating of Mexico, etc.

taxslave
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious CdnView Post

It's going to get worse. Automation is about to hit all sorts of sectors from accountancy to truck and taxi driving. It's not the Chinese, not the Mexicans doing that. It is us doing it to ourselves with our own technological excellence. The problem is that our system has not caught up with the problem of suddenly having to care for what has historically been the most productive part of our civilization. Our vestigial Calvinism won't allow us to pay people to do nothing but both white collar and blue collar jobs are falling like bowling pins, never to be replaced and, unless some provision is made for those people, they will tear the whole edifice down, someday. Trump can't do bugger all to turn it around but those angry, disenfranchised workers have been conned by him into thinking that he can ... hence the scapegoating of Mexico, etc.

But someone has to build/repair all those robots.

Curious Cdn
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

That will employ a few of us, anyway.

DaSleeper
+1
Poor Flossy......Sniff Sniff!

Angstrom
We will be forced back to living off the land. It's a depression.

Or it will lead us to a war that will reduce the population drastically.

Or both

Curious Cdn
+1
The sky is falling!!

The sky is falling!!

JLM

The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

Remington1
+1
Oh man and that post a few days ago with that big "booming" all in caps.

Angstrom
+1
In the end, nature will win. Survival of the best will not be denied. It is the law of the universe.

Cannuck
What a bunch of sniffly sniffs here. I'm pretty happy about jobs in Alberta

JLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

Too bad no one will give you a decent one!

Angstrom
+2
#13  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

I can't imagine anyone wanting to work with him

Ludlow
Shoulders to the wheel biotches stop gripin and get to work.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by LudlowView Post

Shoulders to the wheel biotches stop gripin and get to work.

There's a whole lot of coupon clippers on this board.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by AngstromView Post

I can't imagine anyone wanting to work with him

I couldn't stand 5 minutes with the supercilious, egotistical TWIT!

Jinentonix
+1

How staunchly Conservative of you. "I got mine, f*ck everyone else".

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by JinentonixView Post

Very typical of his attitude!

Johnnny
+1
Part time work sucks because the wages are weak, and the hours arent that many. With the cost of living going up, every penny begins to count. Its no wonder that a lot of people now are taking money out of their rrsps to pay bills with no hope of replacing the money theyve withdrawn.

Ludlow

Supercilious is a damn fine 25 dollar word. .

JLM
+1

Supercilious is a damn fine 25 dollar word. .

Oh sh*t, I'm over rating him!

Angstrom
Lol snap. Uou guys made it funny just now

Hats off fellows. I solut you both

Cannuck

Nobody needs to "give" me anything. That's your generation that liked the handouts.

That's obvious. You don't like smart people

Quote: Originally Posted by JinentonixView Post

Nothing is preventing people from moving to where the jobs are...other than their own lack of ambition.

If anybody on this board is looking to relocate, I will personally pay for a greyhound ticket and offer them a bed for a month. That even goes for JLMs mentally challenged son.

Machjo

So this will result in a shortage of jobs in the computer programming field (given that robots are directed by computer programmes), but we'd rather pay people social assistance for ever rather than pay a little more to trades or professional education in the short to medium term so as to get them back into the job market paying more taxes than before.

Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

But someone needs to be qualified to build/repair them.

JLM

That even goes for JLMs mentally challenged son.

You really are one f**king ignorant son of a bitch. Not just ignorant but also f**king stupid. When it comes to smarts my son is light years ahead of you. When he worked in the patch he was pulling in better than 100 grand some years. So go f**k yourself, you little A$$hole!

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

So this will result in a shortage of jobs in the computer programming field (given that robots are directed by computer programmes), but we'd rather pay people social assistance for ever rather than pay a little more to trades or professional education in the short to medium term so as to get them back into the job market paying more taxes than before.

My (youngest) fourteen year old son is a computer hobbiest who has built a few of them, by now (gave him a Raspberry Pi 3 for Christmas, for him to play around with). Anyway, he has competed with Lego Robotics, generally fooled around with the technology. He is going to a local high school with a good robotics program, next year which I encourage but do not push. Anyway, it's the future. He'll be in the work force (hopefully) for most of the twenty first century and if you're not creating the machines, you will be replaced by them.

There is no adjustment to Capitalism is sight that will change the relationship between work and workers, so there will likely be a small elite cadre of people with jobs and a massive underclass with next to nothing, picking over that land fills for cast-offs, etc. all over North America. The ruling class will be!ieve that they are deserving of their fate. We are returning to feudalism.

Machjo

My (youngest) fourteen year old son is a computer hobbiest who has built a few of them, by now (gave him a Raspberry Pi 3 for Christmas, for him to play around with). Anyway, he has competed with Lego Robotics, generally fooled around with the technology. He is going to a local high school with a good robotics program, next year which I encourage but do not push. Anyway, it's the future. He'll be in the work force (hopefully) for most of the twenty first century and if you're not creating the machines, you will be replaced by them.

There is no adjustment to Capitalism is sight that will change the relationship between work and workers, so there will likely be a small elite cadre of people with jobs and a massive underclass with next to nothing, picking over that land fills for cast-offs, etc. all over North America. The ruling class will be!ieve that they are deserving of their fate. We are returning to feudalism.

I disagree. Machines will never produce literature. They simply cannot write poems, song lyrics, screen or any other kind of plays, short stories, or novels for example. A machine could nevr replace a judge in a courtroom since the moral factors that the judge must balance simply cannot be programmed into a computer. Military robots will never be gibven the authority to decide for themselves when to shoot in all cases and so will always need a human soldier to press the firing button.

Machines will make our lives easier, and people will need to learn to interact with the machines, since that is the future whether we like it or not. But never will machines be able to replace all jobs. Machines can make complex mathematical calculations in a blink of an eye, but no machine can produce unique art since that defies mathematics. In short, anything that mathematics alone cannot solve, a machine won't be able to either. So there will always be plenty of jobs avaiable besides just building and fixing computers and programming them, though admittedly even jobs that require a more human touch wil probably still rely increasingly on machines to handle the mathematical portion of the job.

Machine translation will likewise never be reliable since some parts of language extend beyond simple mathematics, such as puns as a clear but not unique example of these. In the end, a human will need to decide what meaning was intended.

Any job that can be crunched into a mathematical formula, you can kiss that job good by, since that's what machines are good at: mathematics.

Nobody needs to "give" me anything. That's your generation that liked the handouts.

That's obvious. You don't like smart people

Nothing is preventing people from moving to where the jobs are...other than their own lack of ambition.

If anybody on this board is looking to relocate, I will personally pay for a greyhound ticket and offer them a bed for a month. That even goes for JLMs mentally challenged son.

I presume you've never won a prize for diplomacy, have you.

Machines will never produce a decent new melody either.

Ludlow
+1
Too many tech jobs. Get out there like men and swing a hammer for fukks sake before your muscles turn to mush saps.

Machjo

Too many tech jobs. Get out there like men and swing a hammer for fukks sake before your muscles turn to mush saps.

Are you proposing we legally prohibit companies from swtiching to machines? Or are you proposing that workers criminally sabotage any attempt at introducing new machines by smashing them with hammers? Hmmmm....?

JLM
+1

Air guns are making hammers a thing of the past, Ludlow.