Friday's Canadian job report is NOT good news!


Johnnny
+1
#61
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

I contributed to RRSPs since I was in my 30s and did quite well, but never withdrew anything until after I converted them to RRIFs at age 65 and since then just with drew the minimum, so the taxes are minimal. Pretty tough to retire on them but I do get an extra $500 a month which comes in handy. Later in life I started contributing to T.F.S.A. , it's a good place to park money until you need it for something. Just having the account doesn't do one's credit rating any harm either. A good rule of thumb (if you can manage it) is to save 20% of income. Putting it into a house accomplishes the same thing. It's all potential money.

Most people cant save 20% thats a big issue.... No one wants to be delivering newspapers after theyre 65 but the generation now didnt have it like your generation.

For example back in your day you could work at a plant and your first job would have only been to push a button so some bins could be filled. That got your foot in the door, and automation didnt exist. Nowadays experience is required for anything so not just any joe boot strap can get those 30$/hr job. Your basically fighting to stay ahead of inevitability as oppsed to just showing up like back in your day. Attendance and being clean cut alone isnt good enough now. Our schools havent adapted to this fact and as such people are struggling and not able to save.
Last edited by Johnnny; 1 week ago at 08:43 PM..
 
Cannuck
#62
Hey JLM, your kid just contacted me. Good job. I'm on it.
 
JLM
#63
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnnyView Post

Most people cant save 20% thats a big issue.... No one wants to be delivering newspapers after theyre 65 but the generation now didnt have it like your generation.

For example back in your day you could work at a plant and your first job would have only been to push a button so some bins could be filled. That got your foot in the door, and automation didnt exist. Nowadays experience is required for anything so not just any joe boot strap can get those 30$/hr job. Your basically fighting to stay ahead of inevitability as oppsed to just showing up like back in your day. Attendance and being clean cut alone isnt good enough now. Our schools havent adapted to this fact and as such people are struggling and not able to save.


Showing up and being on time was mandatory in my day and might put you in good stead for your first day at work, but how much you were able to produce went a long way toward ensuring a second day. Most of the work was accomplished through bull strength & ignorance and a few hand tools. A couple of years after I started computers were in their infancy but it was years before I actually got to see one & it was the size of a small house. It was about 1974 before we had the first affordable battery operated calculator. Before that it was Chamber's tables and logarithms!
 
Angstrom
#64
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnnyView Post

Most people cant save 20% thats a big issue.... No one wants to be delivering newspapers after theyre 65 but the generation now didnt have it like your generation.

For example back in your day you could work at a plant and your first job would have only been to push a button so some bins could be filled. That got your foot in the door, and automation didnt exist. Nowadays experience is required for anything so not just any joe boot strap can get those 30$/hr job. Your basically fighting to stay ahead of inevitability as oppsed to just showing up like back in your day. Attendance and being clean cut alone isnt good enough now. Our schools havent adapted to this fact and as such people are struggling and not able to save.

Look cannuk. This is what a person with a brain looks like. Just saying.
 
JLM
#65
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnnyView Post

Most people cant save 20% thats a big issue.... No one wants to be delivering newspapers after theyre 65 but the generation now didnt have it like your generation.

For example back in your day you could work at a plant and your first job would have only been to push a button so some bins could be filled. That got your foot in the door, and automation didnt exist. Nowadays experience is required for anything so not just any joe boot strap can get those 30$/hr job. Your basically fighting to stay ahead of inevitability as oppsed to just showing up like back in your day. Attendance and being clean cut alone isnt good enough now. Our schools havent adapted to this fact and as such people are struggling and not able to save.


Not ALL jobs were anything like what you describe. Chain saws would typically weigh 35-50 lbs.
 
darkbeaver
+1
#66
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

I contributed to RRSPs since I was in my 30s and did quite well, but never withdrew anything until after I converted them to RRIFs at age 65 and since then just with drew the minimum, so the taxes are minimal. Pretty tough to retire on them but I do get an extra $500 a month which comes in handy. Later in life I started contributing to T.F.S.A. , it's a good place to park money until you need it for something. Just having the account doesn't do one's credit rating any harm either. A good rule of thumb (if you can manage it) is to save 20% of income. Putting it into a house accomplishes the same thing. It's all potential money.

A house is real money.
 
Cannuck
#67
Quote: Originally Posted by AngstromView Post

Look cannuk. This is what a person with a brain looks like. Just saying.

Nope. People with brains have good jobs and don't whine.
 
Johnnny
#68
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

Nope. People with brains have good jobs and don't whine.

Cannuck, dude?!?!?! I'm a company man now and when i say im working for the "Empire", its an inside joke because you would have to live here to know it. I whine because i try and remember my roots and you dont know my city...

Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Not ALL jobs were anything like what you describe. Chain saws would typically weigh 35-50 lbs.

And in those cases the fact that you could lift it was reason enough to get hired. Those line cutting jobs, the wages are good but the amount of hours are nothing compared to what it was. Its like being a confined space technician in the trades towns where welding for example is a thing. The money might be decent but the hours aren't there unless your top of the seniority. There are tons of bodies for those jobs too, might i add.
Last edited by Johnnny; 1 week ago at 12:59 AM..
 
JLM
#69
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

A house is real money.


Which also appreciates!
 
Jinentonix
#70
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post


If anybody on this board is looking to relocate, I will personally pay for a greyhound ticket and offer them a bed for a month. That even goes for JLMs mentally challenged son.

Rosie? Rosie O'Donnell, is that you?
 

Similar Threads

1
Good news for Canadian manufacturers
by Locutus | Jul 3rd, 2012
1
Good Friday
by sanctus | Apr 6th, 2007
9
GOOD FRIDAY
by missile | Mar 25th, 2005
no new posts