Proposal to treat ‘fake’ news as consumer fraud would have devastating consequences

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Mollie Verified account ‏@MZHemingway
For those who thought the "fake news" hysteria was a trojan horse for government censorship

Meet the MSNBC Legal Eagle Who Proposes Destroying the Free Press

It’s not on purpose, but Ari Melber’s proposal to treat ‘fake’ news as consumer fraud would have devastating consequences.

It's the early days of a presidency that has openly declared itself to be hostile to the media (and to be fair—the reverse is also true), and Ari Melber, MSNBC's legal correspondent and a lawyer, has what he thinks to be a brilliant idea—let's have the federal government get more involved in evaluating the legitimacy of news.

I'm not a big MSNBC viewer, but I'm fairly sure that they haven't suddenly become big supporters Donald Trump's presidency. That's not what Melber is going on about. Rather, what Melber has suggested is that the federal government, particularly the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), can use its authority to protect consumers from fraudulent advertising claims in order to fight the existence of "fake news." He suggests that by classifying disprovable media claims as fraudulent, the government has the authority to intervene. "Fraud" is not considered protected speech. He makes the case in a piece for the New Jersey State Bar Association:
To follow First Amendment precedents, the framework could limit the FTC to only regulating posted articles—not seeking prior restraints against future articles—and to only regulate businesses devoted to fraud news.

Legally, a focus on deceptive businesses keeps the FTC in the ballpark of commercial speech, patrolling deceptive practices taken in pursuit of commerce. During the election, the most popular fraud news sites were launched by business people, often abroad, enticed by the market online for political news. They were trying to make money, not express any particular view. …

Since these sites are clearly operating as businesses, it is logical to regulate their commerce and deceptive practices like any other business.

A focus on deceptive businesses would also keep the government away from meddling with actual journalists or citizens exercising their right to lie while engaged in politics.

more

Meet the MSNBC Legal Eagle Who Proposes Destroying the Free Press - Hit & Run : Reason.com

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Well Canada wouldn't allow Sun TV and the country is better for it.

If you want fake new you can join the rebeler........

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
If that happened the entire "Trump Team" would be locked up. lol.
You are really reaching now.
This is getting more pathetic than the actual fascist leadership in the US of A. lol

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Well Canada wouldn't allow Sun TV and the country is better for it.

If you want fake new you can join the rebeler........

Sun TV News was vastly superior to CBC News.

Their production values sucked, but they actually concentrated on issues in the news, not on entertainment, not sports, not the latest "human interest" stupidity, but actual issues, with discussion and debate with individuals of varied viewpoints.

The CBC currently can only dream of being the news channel that Sun TV News was..........

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
CBC is a ****ing joke, they allow non-whites to write opinion articles generalizing that a whole province is cultivating racism and its FACT, while if someone who is white questions it and uses the same logic as whats allowed at CBC they are labelled a racist. Its a real thing

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
I think you might see lawyers using 'fake news' as a defence. I am not a lawyer, but they might be able to raise the argument that their client acted the way they did because of what was said on the news. Call it a variation on past 'TV' defence themes.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Well, you'd have to ask a lawyer, but I think it's reasonable to assume that an expert witness, a psychologist probably, could substantiate it. Bombarded with the same message my client believed was the truth. Thought the msg was aimed at him directly. Filled him full of hate. etc.