Russia set to move closer to decriminalize domestic violence

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Where are the pusski babushkas?

MOSCOW -- In Russia, giving one's spouse a slap is nothing extraordinary for many people. This week, the Russian parliament is expected to take a step closer toward decriminalizing it altogether.

Battery is a criminal offence in Russia, but nearly 20 per cent of Russians openly say they think it is sometimes OK to hit a spouse or a child. In a bid to accommodate conservative voters, deputies in the lower house of parliament have given initial approval to a bill eliminating criminal liability for domestic violence that stops short of serious bodily harm or rape.

MO...

Russia set to move closer to decriminalize domestic violence | CTV News

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
So slapping your husband for drinking out of the milk carton will soon be legal?

I'm finished if that law ever comes to Canada!

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
well Canada's way of doing it
someone gets charged no matter what in a domestic
sure feeds the for profit justice system we have
and clogs it up too

cause you know...men and women are cats and dogs living together

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Where are the pusski babushkas?

MOSCOW -- In Russia, giving one's spouse a slap is nothing extraordinary for many people. This week, the Russian parliament is expected to take a step closer toward decriminalizing it altogether.

Battery is a criminal offence in Russia, but nearly 20 per cent of Russians openly say they think it is sometimes OK to hit a spouse or a child. In a bid to accommodate conservative voters, deputies in the lower house of parliament have given initial approval to a bill eliminating criminal liability for domestic violence that stops short of serious bodily harm or rape.

MO...

Russia set to move closer to decriminalize domestic violence | CTV News

What sick society.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
I don't agree with violence and have spent considerable time stopping domestic disputes in the places I have worked and volunteered - the swinging is a two way street
...and kids do need to be smacked politely, or so I gather from all the people complaining they don't know what's wrong with the kids these days

but there has to be a threshold where its not a serious crime, or a drunkin stupidity or heated moment, can turn into a totally destroyed family

and i have heard it so many times:
the woman who called the cops and maybe didn't exactly tell the truth for what ever reason, cant retract her story, and the spouse gets charged cause they can't change their story, and they can't stop the cops from charging him...and then the legal nightmare starts.

which is why the law was changed to what it is in canada for better or worse
because women used to try to drop the charges later when they realised how serious it was to call the police in in the first place

Last edited:

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
ineteresting fact- first thing you learn doing security in a bar:
if a guy hits a woman in the bar, and you grab the guy, you DO NOT turn your back on the woman that just got hit
SHE WILL do her level best to DROP YOU

..and I guarantee you it goes like that almost EVERY time

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Re: Russia to decriminalize some forms of domestic violence

We should do that too. The government has no business interfering with who we beat up in our bedrooms.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Re: Russia to decriminalize some forms of domestic violence

It would be interesting to know what the law states now regarding domestic violence.
The bill appears ambiguous. 'Battery that doesn't cause bodily harm'??? What would that be? Maybe just shoving someone away from you or grabbing someone by the arm and leaving a slight bruise but usually battery does inflict some kind of bodily harm.
This would mean that women can beat up their husbands too. Probably would lead to some knock-down, drag-out bouts!
Anyhow, it's Russia's business, not ours.