Thousands of Syrian refugee families to lose federal financial support

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
And go on Provincial welfare because it's 2016.

Since last November, more than 22,000 government-supported Syrian refugees have settled in Canada. Promised financial support for a year from the federal government, thousands of families are now about to be cut off, leaving provinces to pick up the tab.

Mohamad Bakhash arrived in Canada a year ago and is still struggling to become independent.

There was a lot of help we got from the government,” Bakhash told CTV News through an interpreter. “But, as well, we had a lot of things that we were trying to do but we were struggling with."

Such things include learning English and finding a job. In Syria, Bakhash supported his family of seven as a real estate agent. In Canada, he lacks the language skills to find work, leaving his family to rely on government assistance -- potentially for years to come.

According to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, 22,009 government-supported Syrian refugees moved to the country between Nov. 4, 2015 and Nov. 20, 2016.

However, statistics show that only about 10 per cent of refugees find employment in their first year in Canada.

About 800 of the Syrian refugees are now living in Manitoba. Some have found work in restaurants and in the agricultural sector, but it’s expected that most will continue to need financial help into the foreseeable future. For those who have been in Canada for more than a year, that responsibility now falls to the province.

It comes at a cost -- there’s no two ways about that,” Ian Wishart, Manitoba’s Minister of Education and Training, told CTV News.

Moving into month 13 in Canada means that refugee families who once relied on federal aid will now need to apply for provincial social assistance. For the Bakhash family, that amounts to about $1,700 each month. Provincial government are also responsible for housing costs, likely ballooning their budgets by millions of dollars each year.

“The longer they’re on income assistance, you know, it’s not good from a provincial economics point of view,” Wishart said. “It’s not good for their families either, but they have to be ready to go to the workplace.”

That’s where support from the federal government will continue, Minister of Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship John McCallum says.

“The language training goes on, the preparation for jobs goes on,” McCallum told CTV News. “The only thing that is transferred to provincial responsibility is the income support.”

Although many refugee families are still looking forward to becoming independent, they are still thankful for the chance at having a war-free future.

“It’s a really beautiful country,” Bakhash 19-year-old son Basal told CTV news. “I feel safe here.”

With files from CTV’s Manitoba Bureau Chief Jill Macyshon

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
9,000 have found employment, so over 20,000 will have to go on welfare. Everybody knew this was going to happen except for the government of course (learning a language takes years, plus some have no education at all). 300,00 immigrant have been approved for 2017, 40,000 of them refugees. I hope that now that the government has experience, they are realizing that they need to extend the 'resettle program' budget to at least 5 years, which would save the trouble of moving these people onto another program, it's all the same anyway (resettling money or welfare money comes from the same source)!. Seems this government's likes to play with words, really don't get this one, call resettling 'welfare', and please call pricing 'tax'.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Send them back. They should never have been allowed to come here in the first place.

Very few of these Syrians were truly refugees, they should never have been given refugee status. Gov (Libs) screwed up again.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Send them back. They should never have been allowed to come here in the first place.

Very few of these Syrians were truly refugees, they should never have been given refugee status. Gov (Libs) screwed up again.

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
. . . and ....??
Ontario and Quebec will bitch about their equalization payments being reduced if the refugees come to Alberta.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
aahhh I love you too man, especially your great insight and clearly superior intelligence. ahhh

Well I certainly have a better sense of family dynamics as well as math than you do. That doesn't say much though. Can you explain to me how you arrived at the notion that when somebody gets a job. His or her dependents go on welfare? Inquiring minds want to know.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
. . . and ....??
Ontario and Quebec will bitch about their equalization payments being reduced if the refugees come to Alberta.

You're pretty sure, are you, that the equalization payments aren't going to flow the other way for a time, like they used to?

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
Well I certainly have a better sense of family dynamics as well as math than you do. That doesn't say much though. Can you explain to me how you arrived at the notion that when somebody gets a job. His or her dependents go on welfare? Inquiring minds want to know.
How much do you think the one in the family who has found work is earning? $16 /hr $20 bucks an hour? We can assume that they don't own a roof, so have to pay rent! How many kids do these family have, 6/ 7? CCB pays $533 per month per child under 6, $450 per month per child 6 to 17, and seeing that the family income might be lower than 30K / yr, they should get the maximum, right? Just me, but if you have never worked or paid taxes, this is similar to welfare. In actuality, they should get both, CCB and welfare. Children were counted as part of the 32K +

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
How much do you think the one in the family who has found work is earning? $16 /hr $20 bucks an hour? We can assume that they don't own a roof, so have to pay rent! How many kids do these family have, 6/ 7? CCB pays $533 per month per child under 6, $450 per month per child 6 to 17, and seeing that the family income might be lower than 30K / yr, they should get the maximum, right? Just me, but if you have never worked or paid taxes, this is similar to welfare. In actuality, they should get both, CCB and welfare. Children were counted as part of the 32K +
Aaahhh so in other words, you don't really know much. Thanks for playing.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
As usual the government makes big show decision that makes them look good but they can't see the consequences further than their noses. We already have too many people on social assistance we sure don't need more. However if we do let some into our country they should be obliged to integrate into our way of life on all levels just as others before them did.

I better quit while I am ahead because I am not in a very good mood. Sorry if I insulted anyone.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
9,000 have found employment, so over 20,000 will have to go on welfare. Everybody knew this was going to happen except for the government of course (learning a language takes years, plus some have no education at all). 300,00 immigrant have been approved for 2017, 40,000 of them refugees. I hope that now that the government has experience, they are realizing that they need to extend the 'resettle program' budget to at least 5 years, which would save the trouble of moving these people onto another program, it's all the same anyway (resettling money or welfare money comes from the same source)!. Seems this government's likes to play with words, really don't get this one, call resettling 'welfare', and please call pricing 'tax'.

If Canada had not fully supported the illegal wars in the middle east these extra costs would not exist.Our support for these illegal wars will cost us far more than dependent refugees.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
If Alberta had not given Ont and Qrubec Billions in equalization money it would have Billions in the bank today.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
We took in more Vietnamese in the 80s and had to pay more out and we were just fine.

What we should start doing its screening for racist, American wannabes and start kicking them out.