This story makes you really wonder how badly the "hungry" really want food.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Re: This story makes you really wonder how badly the "hungry" really want food.

Prem is good and um ...pink.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015

Give me your opinion after you've eaten your 30th can in a month. :) :)

It's been a while. That's what ketchup is for, I guess.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Stop donating canned goods to food drives: Your corned mutton castoffs are only making things worse | National Post

Back in the day if we were hungry we ate the stuff and didn't question it. I know from years of eating Prem. :) :)

"This story makes you really wonder how badly the "hungry" really want food."

It makes me wonder if you bothered to read the article.

Having worked at our local Food Bank, I am in complete agreement with the issues raised by the author. I hope it helps change attitudes towards donating certain types of food or better yet to forgo those canned goods and donate money.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea

Having worked at our local Food Bank, I am in complete agreement with the issues raised by the author. I hope it helps change attitudes towards donating certain types of food or better yet to forgo those canned goods and donate money.
Yes quite agree.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario

I give to animal charities. People have all kinds of agencies to which they can turn for help. People who work can buy food. People who don't work can apply for social assistance.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I read it, in its entirety. I have nothing against donating cash, in fact I believe people should be allowed to donate whatever they can. I was just appalled at the thought of canned food going out to the garbage dump.

Yes quite agree.

So a person who grows a big garden and wants to donate produce, should be discouraged from doing so?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

I was just appalled at the thought of canned food going out to the garbage dump.
I can understand that, JLM. I honestly don't think it happens that often. Canned goods have a long shelf life.

So a person who grows a big garden and wants to donate produce, should be discouraged from doing so?
Our food bank accepted all the garden donations we could get our hands on - it is such a treat to be able to give families fresh produce. We also made sure they got always got bread, eggs and milk along with various other items.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

It's not that simple. The assumption is that person who donated a can of $1 tuna will instead take the $1 and make a cash donation. In some cases, that won't happen and the food bank would get $0. If they would rather have $0 or the tuna which do you think they would prefer?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

It's not that simple. The assumption is that person who donated a can of $1 tuna will instead take the $1 and make a cash donation. In some cases, that won't happen and the food bank would get $0. If they would rather have $0 or the tuna which do you think they would prefer?

More of a suggestion than an assumption, IRBS............as the author himself said, if you want to give food, do so - and the can of tuna is a good idea - far better than a can of beans.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I can understand that, JLM. I honestly don't think it happens that often. Canned goods have a long shelf life.

Our food bank accepted all the garden donations we could get our hands on - it is such a treat to be able to give families fresh produce. We also made sure they got always got bread, eggs and milk along with various other items.

O.K. Now we are on the "same page".

I hear you. I'm old fashioned and if I'm going to donate I like to see the kids get wholesome, nutritious food and there's not a lot of that in the super markets any more or at least it's not displayed where it will likely be sold. So I have occasionally been known to donate a bag of oat meal or whole wheat flour, rather than sh*t like frosted flakes or other sh*t that is just laced with sugar or salt or both.

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

They don't want food. They want meth and fentanyl. Just ask flosshole.

More of a suggestion than an assumption, IRBS............as the author himself said, if you want to give food, do so - and the can of tuna is a good idea - far better than a can of beans.

Tuna fat is brain food. The brain is mostly fat. Being called a fat head is a compliment.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

Donating a can of something is a pretty neat "feel good" thing. I go with the cash donations. You really can get more in bulk than you can in piece sales

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars

Tuna fat is brain food. The brain is mostly fat. Being called a fat head is a compliment.
I was watching Wicked Tuna a few days ago. The Tunas with a certain fat content were valued more.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

far better than a can of beans.

Wha'cha got against beans, Mo?

Beans.... Beans are musical fruit. The more you eat, the more you toot, The more you toot, the better you feel, so let's all have beans for every meal!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

I was watching Wicked Tuna a few days ago. The Tunas with a certain fat content were valued more.

Omega fats are invaluable. We rely on them. vegetarians are the unhealthy ones.

Wha'cha got against beans, Mo?

Beans.... Beans are musical fruit. The more you eat, the more you toot, The more you toot, the better you feel, so let's all have beans for every meal!
Beans and olive oil. Yuuuuum.

Want a killer baked bean recipe? Just ask.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Beans are supposed to be nutritious.................lots of protein!

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB

Give me your opinion after you've eaten your 30th can in a month. :) :)
Try oatmeal foe a month, every other month. The ones that mock rejected food don't know that somewhere down the road it will be eaten and enjoyed. It's like cheap beer, only the first couple of cans that taste 'not the best'. Hunger also takes care of that 'best before' date.

Then there is tomato soup and the many different ways it can be served up. I prefer it as a shooter.

Beans are supposed to be nutritious.................lots of protein!
Do they cause 'gas'? . . like lots

You are still a fat head and it still isn't a complement. No wonder the usual crowd is the way they are. The only question I have left is are you a graduated student or a teacher or a fop out.

Do they call it fentanyl so it isn't called Afghani heroin?? (other than it would be bad pr and it would get them hung after being quartered. . . . and you that that's gotta hurt)

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario

I am too cynical about how charities spend the cash donations they receive to ever give cash if there is an alternative. Too often the cash gets pilfered or spent irresponsibly. I have heard that in our local food bank, even the best foods get pilfered by the staff. Face it, by the time the average family buys enough for themselves there is little cash left over to give away.
There are plenty of good, nutritious canned foods to donate. Various soups and stews, canned tomatoes, beans, macaroni, canned salmon, canned ham, all kinds of canned fruits.
There are mixes for muffins that only need water added and baking.
I don't think people are very needy if they turn up their noses at things like corned beef and spam. Those things can be worked into recipes with other ingredients to make delicious meals.
As long as people can afford beer, lottery tickets, cell phones and 'pay to view' movies, they aren't needy enough to be using food banks.
Charities are supposed to be for needy people. If people who are needy expect to live the same lifestyles as those who donate to them, then they aren't really needy.