'I'll be watching Doctor Who on Christmas Day," says Theresa May

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The prime minister will be curled up on the sofa watching traditional British TV on Christmas Day.

While being a fan of "Scandi dramas" like Borgen, Theresa May told the Radio Times she'd tune in to Doctor Who and "a nice Agatha Christie".

Earlier in the day, she'll have a drink with friends before helping churches in her Berkshire constituency who provide lunch for elderly people.

PM to enjoy Doctor Who and Agatha Christie on Christmas Day

5th December 2016
BBC News

Theresa May said she'd spend part of Christmas Day helping elderly people in her constituency. (Above) On Saturday, the prime minister visited J&S Rook butchers in her Maidenhead constituency, from where she has bought sausages for the last 15 years, as part of the Small Business Saturday campaign

The prime minister will be curled up on the sofa watching traditional British TV on Christmas Day.

While being a fan of "Scandi dramas" like Borgen, Theresa May told the Radio Times she'd tune in to Doctor Who and "a nice Agatha Christie".

Earlier in the day, she'll have a drink with friends before helping churches in her Berkshire constituency who provide lunch for elderly people.

The PM also said she enjoys Strictly Come Dancing, but wouldn't take part.

"I always like to see Doctor Who on Christmas night, if possible, and a nice Agatha Christie to curl up with. David Suchet was a great Poirot - he got him to a T," she said in the Christmas issue of the magazine.

Church has always been an important part of Christmas, she said, as her father was a vicar.

"As a child I had to wait until my father had finished his services before I could open my presents. It felt like a very long wait."

Discussing her TV tastes as a younger woman, the prime minister said she liked watching Diana Rigg and later Joanna Lumley in The Avengers, but never viewed them as role models.

"I have never had a female role model - I've always just got on with doing what I am doing," she said.

Mrs May admitted she had not seen much of former shadow chancellor Ed Balls on Strictly as she tended to be busy on Saturday evenings.

Asked if one day she would be tempted to give the show a try herself, she replied: "I can't dance. It's not a good idea."

This year's Christmas Day episode of Doctor Who - 'The Return of Doctor Mysterio' - features a superhero

PM to enjoy Doctor Who and Agatha Christie on Christmas Day - BBC News

Last edited:

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
'I'll be watching Doctor Who on Christmas Day," says Theresa May

"I'll be looking for clues from the future" says the consolation prize Prime Minister.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
right after breakfast is a good time to start drinking

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
I think she should buy a magic wand if she wants to win the next election....

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I think she should buy a magic wand if she wants to win the next election....

It's a sonic screwdriver! It's helped the Doctor out of many a scrape over the last 50-odd years - such as opening locked doors.

And considering Theresa May is about a billion percentage points ahead of Jeremy Corbyn in the polls, she'll win the next general election in a landslide. And that could be soon - she might well hold a snap general election in the New Year to ensure we get a Brexit Parliament and make it easier for her to deliver Brexit.