Are you camped out for Black Friday?

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
your texting thumbs a blur, as you msg your other friends camped out at stores or malls around the country. This is just as much for the Canadians as it is for the Americans.

Storp the mād-ness!

I did most of my shopping online. No lines. Good prices.Superdy-duper fast delivery! My damn mouse finger is pert near worn out from all that clickin'!

I loves shoppin' this way.

I still go to the malls, but instead of linin' up at the cashiers, hands full of overpriced junk, I lord over the rummies and their giftin' frenzies wif a mocha-choco-lotta-coffa-chino, or something. Then I point at them as they hurry by and laugh. I drool. Toss a lotta gookies.

This is a gookie. Thank you Harpo Marx!

I also fondle a stuffed woman's breast that I take to the mall mocca-chino bar. I place it in a conspicuous spot near the shoppers, squeezin' it occasionally, and wink, but only at the 'under 30' guys. Drives 'em crazy! The girls laugh.

Finally tonight, a change of pace. Harpo Marx, playing his harp. He's been dead for 52 years, but his talent lives on. He left the planet as the result of complications from open heart surgery.

He started playing the harp because all the other Marx Brothers already played an instrument or had their own shtick. Harpo began playing it, sitting on the wrong side, but changed later when he saw pictures of harpists playing them correctly. He also tuned his harp differently than what was considered correct. Not knowing any better, he learned to play without any help, and never took lessons until later on in life He also tried to learn to read music, but never mastered it.

The sound and style of his playing drew professionals from around the world to observe and learn his style. One of his adopted children, Bill, is a trained musician - a pianist who attended Julliard. Because Harpo couldn't read music, Bill would write out letters rather than musical notes for his dad to follow.

A 16 year old Bill Marx wrote this arrangement that his dad played on I Love Lucy in 1953.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=H16vDiX_PCo

This one is from A Night at the Opera (1935) The man genuinely loved kids and adopted 4 of his own.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWWMRYrnCjY

Last edited:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Will I be camping out .............Hell NO...........I protest the cultural appropriation inherent in the use of the word Black on behalf of black people everywhere. I may be white but I claim the right to stand up on their behalf and fight the good fight.

Ooops........I see it's time for my medication gotta go.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Will I be camping out .............Hell NO...........I protest the cultural appropriation inherent in the use of the word Black on behalf of black people everywhere. I may be white but I claim the right to stand up on their behalf and fight the good fight.

Ooops........I see it's time for my medication gotta go.
Just took mine in about an hour I'll be sleepy

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
I was listening to WSM online earlier, and folks were already talking like Thanksgiving was over and Black Freitag was here,

I listened to a few other US radio stations and they were into the Black Vendredi countdown.

I hear summer bathing suits are going on sale next week in Michigan...

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
well, that explains how the pied piper was able to get those kids to jump off that cliff

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
:smile: I don't take meds, Ludlow...........I wrote that in case someone actually took my satire literally.
I take painkillers otherwise I'd be in agony. I don't like it but that's how it is.

I was listening to WSM online earlier, and folks were already talking like Thanksgiving was over and Black Freitag was here,

I listened to a few other US radio stations and they were into the Black Vendredi countdown.

I hear summer bathing suits are going on sale next week in Michigan...
Pick me up a new fishin pole Murph if you have the time I left mine in Missouri. And if ya think of it a nice tackle box with a few supplies in there would be nice. :).

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
sorry to hear about the pain ludlow
cheers to what ever gets you through it

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
I take painkillers otherwise I'd be in agony. I don't like it but that's how it is.

Pick me up a new fishin pole Murph if you have the time I left mine in Missouri. And if ya think of it a nice tackle box with a few supplies in there would be nice. :).

Sure, and I'll post a Christmas story for you too. The Fat Man isn't quite the sweetheart everybody thinks he is.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
:smile: I don't take meds, Ludlow...........I wrote that in case someone actually took my satire literally.

Good for you- most of them aren't that good anyhow on an extended basis, if you can find another way. Doc just took me off Lipitor, don't really need it and it can screw up your liver, maybe it already has. Liver is a tough organ with good recovery ability so I'm not too worried. Haven't turned yellow yet. :) :) :) Also it's very good idea to stay right the hell away from the supplements. They are a total rip off and can be quite dangerous. My cousin loaded up on supplements and died from A.L.S. I'm not positive there isn't a connection there.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
Good for you- most of them aren't that good anyhow on an extended basis, if you can find another way. Doc just took me off Lipitor, don't really need it and it can screw up your liver, maybe it already has. Liver is a tough organ with good recovery ability so I'm not too worried. Haven't turned yellow yet. :) :) :) Also it's very good idea to stay right the hell away from the supplements. They are a total rip off and can be quite dangerous. My cousin loaded up on supplements and died from A.L.S. I'm not positive there isn't a connection there.
Drink plenty of water and a poweraid now & then for electrolytes and sodium. I've a dvt in my right leg and the pain is bad. Thought it was sciatica but nope. Now I'm on blood thinners. There are other things but won't go into it. I'd like there to be other means to deal with the leg and hip pain. there isn't.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
well, its ok to have kneezles or toeleo
small caulks...not so much...there is no pill

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Drink plenty of water and a poweraid now & then for electrolytes and sodium. I've a dvt in my right leg and the pain is bad. Thought it was sciatica but nope. Now I'm on blood thinners. There are other things but won't go into it. I'd like there to be other means to deal with the leg and hip pain. there isn't.

Would you like to trade that for my sixteen kidney stones that I'm hauling around as passengers, right now?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

I am very sorry to hear of your suffering, Ludlow.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Yorkville boutique criticized for using Black Lives Matter slogan to promote Black Friday sale
by News Staff
Posted Nov 23, 2016 3:52 pm EST
Last Updated Nov 23, 2016 at 3:59 pm EST
A Yorkville clothing boutique came under fire on Wednesday for borrowing imagery from the Civil Rights and Black Lives Matter movements to promote its Black Friday clothing sale.
Serpentine, at 132 Cumberland St., posted an ad on its Instagram page depicting a Civil Rights protest with the hashtag #BlackFridaysMatter superimposed in bright red lettering.
Instagram users were quick to call out the store for its questionable linking of the fight for racial equality with rampant consumerism.
“Distasteful to say the least!” one user wrote. “This is beyond poor taste – it’s vile,” another added.
CityNews attended Serpentine on Wednesday, only to be halted at the door and told the store wouldn’t be commenting.
On Wednesday afternoon, the store’s Instagram ad was removed and replaced with the following statement from store management:
Passersby in the popular Yorkville neighbourhood struggled to comprehend what the store was trying to accomplish with the ad.
“I think it’s obscene,” a man named Mario said without reservation. “It’s being very clever, but in a negative way. I think there’s issues you don’t cross the line on. This is crossing the line.”
“That’s offensive,” added Andrea Jones. “That kind of leveraging the oppression and pain of others for a marketing strategy is really, really stupid.”
It’s not the first time a Yorkville store has been at the centre of controversy.
In August 2014, Eton of Sweden was criticized for a storefront window display that some thought had racial undertones.
Two nooses were seen dangling over a man’s shirt surrounded by cotton plants.
The company’s North American sales director, Chris Donohue, told CityNews at the time that it was meant to be a whimsical display of a swing over a cotton field.
Donohue said there was no malicious intent, but the display was promptly taken down.
The Serpentine clothing store in Yorkville posted this image on its Instagram account to promote a Black Friday sale. INSTAGRAM

Yorkville boutique criticized for using Black Lives Matter slogan to promote Black Friday sale - CityNews
Yorkville boutique criticized for using Black Lives Matter slogan to promote Black Friday sale - CityNews video