Report on Scourge of Fake News Turns Out to Be Faked

Locutus
Mainstream media errors in the Trump era: Your catalogue of the media's bias-fueled failure-fest

Hahahahaha...heroes they are...*breath*...hahahahahaha....*whew*

sure, running forward with gasoline and matches perhaps. less like firefighters... more like arsonists.

anyway kids:

The press has a problem, and it seems to be getting worse. Whether through bias, sloppiness, or sheer panic, the mainstream media has dropped its standards since President Trump (external - login to view) was sworn in.

Rather then adjusting adeptly to Trump's easy relationship with the truth and his tendency to abuse members of media, by dialing up their standards, a significant number of journalists have tripped over themselves recently to repeat every bit of gossip and half-cocked rumor involving Trump and his administration.

The rush to get these supposed scoops out in the open, whether in print, on television or on social media, has, of course, produced a rash of shoddy reporting.

Now this isn't to say that all coverage of this new administration has been slipshod. Rather, it's to say that there has been a disturbing and unusually large number of stories that have turned out either to be overhyped, inconclusive, half-true or flat-out incorrect. There have also been a number of reports whose sourcing is so thin, that to believe them would be to take a major leap of faith.

The one thing that these reports have in common is that they fail to provide readers with a clear and indisputably accurate picture of what is really going on at White House. The press's most important role is to shine a light on those in power. Bad reporting only muddies the waters, and it gives powerful people more room to do as they please. After all, whom are you going to believe: the guy at the top or the newsroom with a recent track record of botched reporting?

We didn't get to the point where people find the press less credible than the Trump administration (external - login to view) by some freak accident.

We're keeping a database of all these media misfires as they occur, and we'll be updating this list whenever some new bit of crummy journalism appears. Depending on whether reporters settle down and treat their supposed scoops with greater care, this database may turn into a four- or eight-year project.

Starting in order of most recent, here is our best effort at a complete list of the shoddiest media misfires since the Jan. 20 inauguration:

Here (external - login to view)

taxslave
They appear to be talking about all of flossy's sources.

Locutus
most use that fake-speak like cucklefloss...the rest pretend to know what's going on like cancuck.

they're flopping and flailing. mad as hell. comical to watch.

EagleSmack
Without Fake News they are lost

Locutus
I think we can all agree that there has been plenty of fake news coming from both sides. Fake news is usually intentional, although in some cases it is the result of honest mistakes. But lately we are seeing an entirely new type of untrue news. I call it Imaginary News. Here’s a good example from the Huffington Post.

I watched President Trump’s press conference with the alleged “meltdown,” and all I saw was Trump talking the way he normally talks. The Huffington Post watched and apparently saw some other set of circumstances. That means we have three possibilities to consider:

1. Huffington Post saw the situation accurately while I was hallucinating.
2. My version of events is accurate and Huffington Post hallucinated.
3. Both the Huffington Post and I were hallucinating.

more

Imaginary News | Scott Adams' Blog (external - login to view)

Imaginary News

By Kate (external - login to view) on February 18, 2017 12:32 AM | 3 Comments (external - login to view)
You might recall that the Huffington Post made a big deal of refusing to cover Trump on their political pages when he first announced his candidacy. They only carried him on their entertainment pages because they were so smart they knew he could not win.
Then he won. (external - login to view)

have a trumptastic day.

Curious Cdn
So, if the report on the scourge of fake news is a fake, does that mean that there really is no "fake news"?

Locutus
In 1905, the #fakenews (external - login to view) @nytimes (external - login to view) was running stories about Martians building canals. More accurate than their climate reporting in 2017.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

In 1905, the #fakenews (external - login to view) @nytimes (external - login to view) was running stories about Martians building canals. More accurate than their climate reporting in 2017.

Does Trump know that these canal building contracts went to foreigners?

Mokkajava
I think the term "fake news" is the worst phrase to come out of 2017