It's Remembrance Day - Here's a remembrance

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Gramps
copyright 2007 - murphy

It's hard to believe that thirty years have gone by since the last time I talked to Gramps. I live on his old farm now, carrying on what he started almost one hundred years ago. I still miss him and grandma very much.

I’m reminded of them every time I stare out the window at the hay fields, and the large sugar maples that border the property. It’s located in Prince Edward County, in eastern Ontario. Gramps had 150 acres that was used for mixed farming - primarily hay and dairy cattle.

He bought the place in 1919 for $150. That was a lot of money back then. He got a special government loan after returning home from France at the end of World War One. The money had to be paid back at one dollar a month, and he never defaulted. He was a hard worker and his dairy cattle produced a steady supply of milk that was easily sold. By the summer of 1931, Gramps was a paid in full member of the local farming community.

In some respects, it must have been tough coming home after the war. Everyone used to say that he had aged far beyond his years because of the fighting. When he was in France, he always worried about his family back in Ontario.

When I was in my twenties, I got a peek into Gramps’ past. I had just joined the army and he told me about what the service was like when he was in uniform. He never talked about the war, so this was a private moment between us. He spoke about the noise and the dead lying around on the battlefield. He described the musty, dirty smells of the trenches. Did I know that there were rats? They fed on anything - army horses, farm animals and human corpses.

One memory that's always stuck with me was when Gramps described seeing a man cry for the first time. He was embarrassed and ashamed. Gramps felt that he was intruding on another person's privacy, but where could he go? You couldn’t leave the trenches. Grown men would just sit by themselves, weeping openly. No one said anything. He finished by saying that the trip back to Canada was a lonely time. Every day he sat on the deck of the ship, staring into space, re-living the memories of what would become ‘the war to end all wars’.

"No one learned a lesson from that." was all he said.

He was actually one of three boys that went overseas to fight the Hun. Gramps was the only one that returned. His two brothers – Edward and Terry - died within hours of each other at Vimy Ridge, on the morning of April 9th, 1917. The fighting, the loss of his siblings, and worrying about family took its toll.

Dad said that Gramps never talked to anyone about the days before 1919. Every Remembrance Day however, Gramps would dutifully go to the service at the local cenotaph. He never cried, but always seemed to drift away for a few minutes, staring into the distance - looking in vain for his two lost brothers perhaps.

Gramps died in 1986, but the farm is well cared for by a property agency. The fields are rented out to neighbours to cover the agency fees and taxes.

The 1870s era farmhouse looks much the same as it did when it was built. With the single addition of an indoor toilet in 1961, it stands as a snapshot of a bygone era. I'll always remember it that way.

My first memories of the place were visits in the early 1960s. Unlike our farm, Gramps had no electricity or running water. There was a small pump in the kitchen and a larger one outside, a few feet from the front porch. A large wood stove provided heat. It also provided the hot water for baths, dishes and the laundry.

Whenever I went for a visit, Grandma used to chase Gramps and me out the door. He loved to go bird hunting, but couldn’t always find the time for it, so Grandma would say,

“Go out and get me a nice pheasant, Grampa, And some rabbits too. I’m sick of chicken!”

Summer and early fall were my favourite times to go hunting. As a child, I enjoyed the simple pleasure of exploring the farm, oblivious to possession limits or the need to bring something home. Being outdoors was enough, and Gramps helped instill that feeling by being one of my early hunting companions.

We’d spend our Saturdays walking around the hay fields or stalking the hardwood thickets that hid our supper. I think that Gramps secretly liked to play hooky from his farm chores and be a kid again. I carried an old 22 rimfire, single shot Cooey. Gramps had a 12-gauge side by side shotgun.

I was always leading the way, my 22 ready for anything. Gramps was a really good spotter. Whenever he saw a rabbit or a bird that he figured I could hit, he’d tap me on the shoulder, point and whisper,

“Look over there, Steve. About twenty yards away, under that maple.”

My rifle would bark, and if I was lucky, there would be game for the pot. Those were the memories that I treasure the most.

In 1986, I went to visit Gramps while on leave from the army. Ten years earlier, I had joined the Canadian Forces. I was unsure of how the family would take it back then, but I needn’t have worried. Both Dad and Gramps were proud that I had chosen to serve, but sad that I would be away from home. Nonetheless, they supported my decision and wrote me often, wherever in the world I went.

When I got to the farmhouse, Grandma met me at the door, gave me a big hug and said to come inside.

“I know it’s been about six months since you last visited us, Steve. I wanted to tell you that Gramps isn’t feeling well. He’s lost some weight and has trouble walking. Come on, he’s looking forward to seeing you.”

I went into the living room and saw Gramps sitting by the window, staring outside at the fields. He wasn’t the man I talked to in the spring. He turned and smiled at me, looking very tired and frail. Gramps must have seen the reaction in my face because he said, “Come over and sit beside this old man, son. I won’t bite.” Then he looked at Grandma and said, “Why don’t you get us some tea, mother?”

Gramps waited for Grandma to go into the kitchen before speaking.

“Don’t look so sad, Steve. No one lives forever. A few years ago, the doctor told me that I had a cancer. It’s finally caught up to me. Oh, don’t worry. You know that poem about not going gently into the good night? Well, I ran ahead of it as long as I could.”

My eyes welled up with tears. I tried, but couldn’t say anything. Then Gramps said,

“Last night I dreamed about my brothers. I haven’t done that in years. Ed - he was the oldest - he used to tell me that I’d be the traveller in the family. Well, I proved him wrong. Except for going to France in the First War, the farthest I’ve never been is Toronto. I’ll rub that in his face when I see him.”

Gramps was saying goodbye.

“When you retire from the service, make sure that you come back here to live. You can settle down and take over this old place. It’s in good shape. I’ll leave my 12 gauge for you to use. You never did get a shotgun of your own. Take your 22 out of retirement and give it to your kids.”

We spent the afternoon chatting about all sorts of things. We reminisced about the farm, me growing up, and later on, when I first joined the military. We laughed about how Grandma always burnt the gingerbread cookies, how the crows used to follow us when we went rabbit hunting and that, even after seventy years, army boots fit no better than when Gramps was in.

Just before supper, Gramps told me to go to my dad’s place and have something to eat. I could come back later. He gave me a picture of him taken in 1917, standing proudly in his uniform. He also handed over a box with his medals inside. He said to put them away for safekeeping. He said that future generations of our family mustn’t forget their relatives or anyone in uniform. He wanted his great-grandkids to see his picture and be able to touch his medals.

A little before 5:00 PM on Nov 10, 1986, I left for dad's house. Gramps passed away less than an hour later.

Last edited:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Those are proper memories Murphy, he was there, those who were there can never leave there entirely again. I can only read about the sacrifice of your's and mine and get angry at the poppy thing which is too little too late because I know our leaders will sacrifice us again whenever the price is right. I have children and grand children that I would would not feed into the machine.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
A poppy is a simple reminder. Nothing more.

It's a symbol that asks people to remember those who served and died. It is not a banner or a political bullhorn. The little flower was picked out of McCrae's poem, In Flander's Fields, because the red flower grows between the grave markers and is the colour of blood.

It is a simple reminder of what was lost. Nothing more.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place...

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Then we should be educated about the loss not about the imagined glory in the imagined victory over tyrany we now accept like sheep.

We did not win any wars the bankers won each and every battle. Those are who we freed from justice, and made safe in thier nests.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
I can only speak for my immediate area, but myself and others have gone to schools and public events to talk about what happened in our various experiences. It is never political or newsworthy. We have never glorified fighting and death. Remembering reminds us of the price that is always paid when countries go to war. Even when it is necessary, it's never celebrated or glorified. Only movies and television do that.

The local Legions do a creditable job of keeping publicity seekers at bay. Politicians are reminded to keep their affiliations in their pockets, and are told they will be interrupted if they attempt to use the day for their own purposes.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
I am appalled by our sacrifice and the fact that remembering has not curtailed the insane practice one bit. All the war dead must be disgusted by our continued reliance on piles of thier dead decendents still. There is no glory in war.

And there never will be.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
In many houses around the country and the world, veterans will go to services today. For many, it will be their last time. For all, the memories will be bittersweet.

But we're not frozen in time. It's not only about WWII or Korean vets. We have been involved in various skirmishes since the 40s and early 50s. The chat these days at Remembrance Day services is about peacekeeping missions, Afghanistan, the former Yugoslavia, etc. Dollars to donuts, someone will mention about the WWII vets who came to our schools when we were kids though, and told us about their experiences. But we've taken their place for the most part.

I made a lot of friends in my years in the service. Some are gone, and not because of old age. They never got to see their kids grow up or experience the joy of grandkids. I'm lucky because I returned to Canada, watched my kids grow up and have kids of their own. We could be maudlin about how things turned out, but that defeats the purpose of living. We could be sad, but we like to think we're living for more than one person.

That might sound sappy. It's not meant to be. Life goes on. Today, we'll talk about absent friends and have a few laughs. We'll do our best to avoid the sad memories.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I can't remember, why are some poppies good and other poppies bad??

Then we should be educated about the loss not about the imagined glory in the imagined victory over tyrany we now accept like sheep.

We did not win any wars the bankers won each and every battle. Those are who we freed from justice, and made safe in thier nests.
Make money a public necessity and that stops heritage money. Give the bankers an upper middle class lifestyle and anybody earning less has interest free loans available, anybody making more pays a small interest fee, as do businesses. The BAR is probably as dangerous as the banksters.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
There's a big Remembrance Day service taking place right now on Victoria Square in front of the Town Hall. I've just walked past it. There's a large crowd of people gathering and a military band playing and a gathering of old verterans resplendent in their uniforms and there are large poppies adorning every lamppost.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
fought for forty years to get my father's army pension check
he was wounded by explosion debris from shelling in sicily
we won
he got the first check the day he died

my uncle fought for four years in the trenches in france
they tried to claim he shot himself in the back with a ricocheted german rifle bullet
took over forty years...we won that one too

that's how people remember

it would have been better if they knew back then that it works best if you flood an area you want to invade with UNARMED refugees...
just look at germany today

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015

It's a symbol that asks people to remember those who served and died. It is not a banner or a political bullhorn.

No, it's not. All that is asked of you is to remember those who serve and have served to help keep chaos at bay and keep us all safe.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

The forgotten WWI battle that helped define Canada as a nation -The Battle for Hill 70

Excerpt:

"Hill 70’s significance is undeniable when it comes to defining Canada. The battle took place over a 10-day period, Aug. 15 to 25, 1917, at a time when the war was not going well for the Allies.

It marked the first time that a Canadian, Lieutenant-General Arthur Currie, had full command of the Canadian Corps. While Canadians had fought in vast numbers at Vimy, they had been under the command of British General Julian Byng. As Lt.-Gen. Currie had played a key role in planning the successful taking of Vimy, his reward was to assume full command of the increasingly respected Canadians – and take the strategic town of Lens.

“The first thing [Lt.-Gen. Currie] did was reject the order that was given to go into battle,” Mr. Johnston says. “He said: ‘We cannot do an assault on Lens, the town. That’s been tried for two years and look at the lives lost. Give us a little more time and we’ll take the hill overlooking the town.’”
This seemed a shocking act for someone given his first command. But Lt.-Gen. Currie reasoned with his superiors, saying that the frontal assault would mean a huge loss of life. If they took the high ground, the hill just north of the town, they would be in a better position to keep the German soldiers from leaving the area to support German strongholds elsewhere.

Lt.-Gen. Currie’s superiors agreed. He and his officers drilled their men until each knew precisely what was to be done that first morning. Tim Cook of the Canadian War Museum considers Lt.-Gen. Currie to have been “one of the finest generals of the war.” His “bite, hold, destroy” tactics involved extensive shelling, strategic use of machine-gun fire to keep the enemy down and, of course, a strategic attack.

The Canadians took the hill and held it despite a remarkable 21 German counterattacks. Lt.-Gen. Currie’s troops suffered 8,700 killed, wounded or missing in the 10 days of battle, while German estimates of losses ran between 12,000 and 20,000.

It was a hideous battle, with 1,877 Canadian lives lost. More than 1,100 of the Canadian soldiers suffered from mustard-gas poisoning.

Here is how Arthur Lapointe, a signaler serving with the 22nd Battalion, described the initial assault in his journal: “Dawn is coming and my heart is suddenly filled with bitterness when I realize that the day may be my last. … Only two minutes now remain. Two minutes – in which a thousand thoughts mingle in my brain: the thought of the battlefield, where I may lie in a few moments, weltering in blood; the sweet thought of our beloved land across the sea; and the thought of those I hold most dear.

“4:25 a.m. Zero hour! A roll of heavy thunder sounds and the sky is split by great sheets of flame … I scramble over the parapet and … am one of the first in No Man’s Land …The noise of the barrage fills our ears; the air pulsates, and the earth rocks beneath our feet. I feel I am in an awful dream … Now we are crossing ground so torn by our barrage that no soil remains in place … We reach the enemy’s front line, which has been blown to pieces. Dead bodies lie half buried under the fallen parapet and wounded are writhing in convulsions of pain … A section in the second wave has come up a communications trench and opened fire with a machine-gun on the Germans … Now they lie in a mass of grey, with blood splashed all around. One lifts a hand to his chest and falls in a dugout entrance. I shall never forget his face, a mask of tortured agony … The sun is spreading golden rays over all this carnage and destruction, as though mocking at the strange folly of mankind.”

When it was over, six Victoria Crosses were awarded to Canadians: Pte. Michael O’Rourke, Pte. Harry W. Brown, Sgt. Frederick Hobson, Maj. Okill M. Learmonth, Sgt. Maj. Robert H. Hanna, Cpl. Filip Konowal. In Vimy, four VCs had been awarded to Canadians.

More:
The forgotten WWI battle that helped define Canada as a nation - The Globe and Mail

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009

The forgotten WWI battle that helped define Canada as a nation -The Battle for Hill 70

Excerpt:

"Hill 70’s significance is undeniable when it comes to defining Canada. The battle took place over a 10-day period, Aug. 15 to 25, 1917, at a time when the war was not going well for the Allies.

It marked the first time that a Canadian, Lieutenant-General Arthur Currie, had full command of the Canadian Corps. While Canadians had fought in vast numbers at Vimy, they had been under the command of British General Julian Byng. As Lt.-Gen. Currie had played a key role in planning the successful taking of Vimy, his reward was to assume full command of the increasingly respected Canadians – and take the strategic town of Lens.

“The first thing [Lt.-Gen. Currie] did was reject the order that was given to go into battle,” Mr. Johnston says. “He said: ‘We cannot do an assault on Lens, the town. That’s been tried for two years and look at the lives lost. Give us a little more time and we’ll take the hill overlooking the town.’”
This seemed a shocking act for someone given his first command. But Lt.-Gen. Currie reasoned with his superiors, saying that the frontal assault would mean a huge loss of life. If they took the high ground, the hill just north of the town, they would be in a better position to keep the German soldiers from leaving the area to support German strongholds elsewhere.

Lt.-Gen. Currie’s superiors agreed. He and his officers drilled their men until each knew precisely what was to be done that first morning. Tim Cook of the Canadian War Museum considers Lt.-Gen. Currie to have been “one of the finest generals of the war.” His “bite, hold, destroy” tactics involved extensive shelling, strategic use of machine-gun fire to keep the enemy down and, of course, a strategic attack.

The Canadians took the hill and held it despite a remarkable 21 German counterattacks. Lt.-Gen. Currie’s troops suffered 8,700 killed, wounded or missing in the 10 days of battle, while German estimates of losses ran between 12,000 and 20,000.

It was a hideous battle, with 1,877 Canadian lives lost. More than 1,100 of the Canadian soldiers suffered from mustard-gas poisoning.

Here is how Arthur Lapointe, a signaler serving with the 22nd Battalion, described the initial assault in his journal: “Dawn is coming and my heart is suddenly filled with bitterness when I realize that the day may be my last. … Only two minutes now remain. Two minutes – in which a thousand thoughts mingle in my brain: the thought of the battlefield, where I may lie in a few moments, weltering in blood; the sweet thought of our beloved land across the sea; and the thought of those I hold most dear.

“4:25 a.m. Zero hour! A roll of heavy thunder sounds and the sky is split by great sheets of flame … I scramble over the parapet and … am one of the first in No Man’s Land …The noise of the barrage fills our ears; the air pulsates, and the earth rocks beneath our feet. I feel I am in an awful dream … Now we are crossing ground so torn by our barrage that no soil remains in place … We reach the enemy’s front line, which has been blown to pieces. Dead bodies lie half buried under the fallen parapet and wounded are writhing in convulsions of pain … A section in the second wave has come up a communications trench and opened fire with a machine-gun on the Germans … Now they lie in a mass of grey, with blood splashed all around. One lifts a hand to his chest and falls in a dugout entrance. I shall never forget his face, a mask of tortured agony … The sun is spreading golden rays over all this carnage and destruction, as though mocking at the strange folly of mankind.”

When it was over, six Victoria Crosses were awarded to Canadians: Pte. Michael O’Rourke, Pte. Harry W. Brown, Sgt. Frederick Hobson, Maj. Okill M. Learmonth, Sgt. Maj. Robert H. Hanna, Cpl. Filip Konowal. In Vimy, four VCs had been awarded to Canadians.

More:
The forgotten WWI battle that helped define Canada as a nation - The Globe and Mail

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKoJvHcMLfc

Last edited:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

I don't disagree, Cliffy.............which in no way will ever stop me from honoring the men and women around the world who gave their lives that I might live in a free country today. Bless them all. I Will Remember Them.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
fought for forty years to get my father's army pension check
he was wounded by explosion debris from shelling in sicily
we won
he got the first check the day he died

my uncle fought for four years in the trenches in france
they tried to claim he shot himself in the back with a ricocheted german rifle bullet
took over forty years...we won that one too

that's how people remember

it would have been better if they knew back then that it works best if you flood an area you want to invade with UNARMED refugees...
just look at germany today

American veterans are treated horribly right now. Did Trump mention fixing that?