Trump killed Leonard Cohen

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

Some people were huge fans. I could never really get into his style. Seemed more like a seance or funeral. Nevertheless, we'll see you on the other side Leonard.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
... just sang his "Halelujah" for the first time at a public event eight days ago. He was a great Jewish Buddhist and they don't come along every day.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
I have never been a fan of his music, but I know many people are. Zoomer Radio in Toronto, AM 740, has a show dedicated to his music, every Saturday from 4:30 to 5PM. I expect it will be a special one this weekend. I listen to Zoomer Radio occasionally, via the computer. It features music from the 50s to the 70s

Zoomer Radio - CFZM - AM 740 - Toronto, ON - Listen Online

If you are a Cohen fan, this will be a 'do not miss' experience.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
A fan of his songs, not relay of him. Kinda like Bob Dylan or Jimi Hendrix, I liked other people's covers far more

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
I was only a fan by proxy. In other words, when the Royal Canadian Air Farce parodied Cohen, I'd watch. Leonard Cohen's Suicide Songbook

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-EoWfI7HiI

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I have never been a fan of his music, but I know many people are. Zoomer Radio in Toronto, AM 740, has a show dedicated to his music, every Saturday from 4:30 to 5PM. I expect it will be a special one this weekend. I listen to Zoomer Radio occasionally, via the computer. It features music from the 50s to the 70s

Zoomer Radio - CFZM - AM 740 - Toronto, ON - Listen Online

If you are a Cohen fan, this will be a 'do not miss' experience.

Thank you so very much for this Murphy. I've been a fan since I read his first book of poetry yeah these many years ago. I have all his CDs. I will be tuning in for sure. Fare Thee Well Leonard.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-0lV5qs1Qw
so long Lenny
its closing time

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
One heck of a poet but a not a singer.

Leonard and Dylan........hardly melodious true but those lyrics..........man they just grab your soul.

I remember when this one made the rounds when Obummer first got elected.......

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBVaqrqb3bk

"Sail on, sail on
O mighty Ship of State
To the Shores of Need
Past the Reefs of Greed
Through the Squalls of Hate
Sail on, sail on, sail on, sail on"

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Now this is exactly the type of gathering I can totally get behind.............

They brought tears and books of poetry, songs and tributes and bottles of wine. Within hours of the announcement that Leonard Cohen had died, mourners in his hometown of Montreal began to gather to pay homage to one of their city’s greatest sons.The vigil outside Mr. Cohen’s home just off Saint Laurent Blvd. began small, and grew as the night went on. Some strummed Mr. Cohen’s works. Others gathered in a circle and sang his songs.

“I feel we lost a prophet,” said Montrealer Dan Levy, after depositing a candle on the steps of the muted greystone house. “We’re mourning, but we’re mourning a great life. I’m not somebody who has many heroes but he was my hero.”

Mr.Cohen knew his city intimately and Montrealers felt they knew the artist the same way. He is a source of inspiration and pride, and he crossed the city’s language divide to become an almost universally beloved figure.

Sitting cross-legged in the grass in the Parc du Portugal, across the street from Mr. Cohen’s home, Lydia Yakonowsky described the songwriter as her “only idol.” She had spent the night crying after learning of his death.

“I work in a cubicle. Sometimes I listen to his music while I work, and I feel moments of illumination,” she said. “His poetry is so uplifting.”

By 11 p.m., about 200 people has massed near Mr. Cohen’s home. The air, aside from the soft chords of a guitar, was silent. Candles and bouquets of roses began to pile up in a shrine on the house’s doorstep. Someone lit two sticks of incense.

On a lamppost by the door, a mourner taped a note. In French, it read: Montreal: Leonard Forever. RIP.

Mourners gather in Montreal to pay tribute to Leonard Cohen - The Globe and Mail

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Leonard and Dylan........hardly melodious true but those lyrics..........man they just grab your soul.

I'd add Paul Simon to that list (except that he can actually sing)

All three are/were profound twentieth century Jewish bards. Their poetry and prose should be added to the Talmud to last the ages.