Proof Positive Albertans are the Stupidest Canadians of All

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Never the sharpest corn chips in the bag those flatlanders-how much do you want to bet some of them will sneak out @ night to poison the trees already planted?These are the same blockheads who once told me as they admired the views on the Sea to Sky Highway 'trees don't grown in Alberta'.

Brentwood residents mocked on social media for protesting tree planting in park
City of Calgary says community was consulted and will return to plant remaining trees

Only eight of the 15 trees were planted in the park before local residents intervened, swearing and yelling at city workers to stop.

Calgarians refuse to leaf this one alone.

Tree puns are sprouting like healthy saplings on social media.

The mockery is directed at some residents in the northwest community of Brentwood who are barking over the city's decision to plant 15 trees in a local park.

Trees increase crime, says resident

Ellen Burgess is leading the campaign to stop the city's tree-planting efforts in the small nameless park in her neighbourhood.

"If you give people more places to hide, more naughty things will be done," she said.

She believes more trees will lead to more crime.

"We've had a significant increase in our little corner of the world and we are trying to put a stop to it," Burgess told the Calgary Eyeopener on Tuesday.

But the urban forestry lead for the City of Calgary said "crime is actually mitigated through trees."

"There's fewer incivilities, there's less aggressive or violent effects when there is trees. So trees actually provide a very social benefit to a community by reducing crime within an area," Jeanette Wheeler said.

City reached out to residents

While Burgess argues that residents were not consulted, Wheeler said the city reached out to the community on three occasions: through its online engagement portal, a social media campaign and an education night at the Brentwood Community Association.

"There was a map of Brentwood itself, where they could actually put dots where they wanted the trees to be planted. So we felt that this was a pretty safe place to come in to start planting some trees, because the community itself had wanted more trees," Wheeler said.

Only eight of the 15 trees were planted before residents intervened, swearing and yelling at city workers to stop.

But Wheeler said the city "will be going back in to plant them" as part of the ReTree YYC program, which was created after the 2014 September snowstorm that damaged more than one million trees in the city.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I really want to defend the province that has adopted me and made me a boatload of cash in the last 5 years but I got nothing on this one. :roll:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Fukkin alarming. These people, and I can't verify that, easily, actually have protested against trees? I've often thought they were imbecils to live in that dead zone but this is shocking beyond my wldest nightmares.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Trees increase crime because you need ladders to prune them and ladders are just as deadly dangerous as AK-47s with full magazines. The murder rate around topiary is right out of contro!

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Trees increase joy. Baqnanas apples plums cherries all grow on trees, mold grows on wheat, it's not fit for real humans to eat, nuts and berries ande fish, fuk the bulk shjt grains for subhumans. nuts and berries and occasional fish fresh air and good water we don't really need the west, we should sell it.

I think I could challenge that record with a weeks notice.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
trees hide cracks
maybe this crack beech just doesn't want any competition

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I really want to defend the province that has adopted me and made me a boatload of cash in the last 5 years but I got nothing on this one. :roll:

The fact that you use your free time to post on this forum when you have all that money just proves you are as stupid as the rest of them.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
The fact that you use your free time to post on this forum when you have all that money just proves you are as stupid as the rest of them.

The money is going into the fund to circumnavigate the globe. This is just light entertainment to pass some time.