Water is Life

Cliffy
#1
A federal judge has issued a temporary halt to SOME construction of an oil pipeline in North Dakota that Native American tribes have been protesting. Some of those protests turned violent over the weekend. Lawrence reports what he learned at the reservation.

Lawrence Visits Standing Rock | MSNBC (external - login to view)

 
petros
#2


Tell that to the Slavé.
 
EagleSmack
+2
#3
Nice photoshop though.
 
petros
+2
#4
Yup but why are they standing on asphalt made from oil?

Didn't want to get grass stains on their Nike oil sourced Pleather moccasins?
 
Cliffy
#5
Someone asked us yesterday "How are you guys not scared?"
Because we have been here before. We are here because they have wiped out over 90% of our population, and we're not going to allow them to take the remainder of us. We are here because it is in our blood to protect this land, to protect this water, and to protect our people. Our ancestors have fought and died for us to be here, we're not afraid of no bulldozers.
#NoDAPL (external - login to view) for the love of the culture - Chad Charlie

 
petros
+1
#6
The land his people ran to Canada to protect. Saulteaux are the Sioux.
 
Cliffy
+1
#7


 
petros
#8
Wash off the soy sauce and get help for your personality disorder.
 
Cliffy
+1
#9
Singer Songwriter Jackson Browne Makes Statement Regarding The Dakota Access Pipeline
Read more at Singer Songwriter Jackson Browne Makes Statement Regarding The Dakota Access Pipeline - ICTMN.com (external - login to view)
 
petros
+1
#10
Talk about running on empty...

Is Running on Empty his injun name?
 
Tecumsehsbones
#11
Jackson Browne's still alive?

What's he been doing since he beat up Darryl Hannah?

Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Talk about running on empty...

Is Running on Empty his injun name?

Nah, Beats His Woman is his Indun name.
 
petros
#12
Running on empty bio diesel.
 
Cliffy
+2
#13
 
petros
+1
#14
Vandals are equally criminals.
 
darkbeaver
#15
I'm a native person, deal with it, or don't, I was born here and here I'll stay.
 
Ludlow
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Jackson Browne's still alive?

What's he been doing since he beat up Darryl Hannah?


Nah, Beats His Woman is his Indun name.

Last time I saw that has been his hair had turned snow white.
 
Cliffy
#17




 
PoliticalNick
+2
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Someone asked us yesterday "How are you guys not scared?"
Because we have been here before. We are here because they have wiped out over 90% of our population, and we're not going to allow them to take the remainder of us. We are here because it is in our blood to protect this land, to protect this water, and to protect our people. Our ancestors have fought and died for us to be here, we're not afraid of no bulldozers.

90% down...10% to go

Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Jackson Browne's still alive?

What's he been doing since he beat up Darryl Hannah?


Nah, Beats His Woman is his Indun name.

Had to go with the second most common indian name eh? The most common is un em ployed
 
Jinentonix
+1
#19
You can put all of this on Obama and his drive to make America energy independent. I mean, does anyone else find it odd that Obama utterly refused to have the Keystone XL built and yet the EXACT same company will be building this pipeline?
And don't try and tell me it's because our oil is mostly bitumen because that's what California's oil deposits are while Utah's oil deposits are tar sands like Alberta's.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliticalNickView Post

90% down...10% to go



Had to go with the second most common indian name eh? The most common is un em ployed

Do you have some specific grievance with Indians?
 
PoliticalNick
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Do you have some specific grievance with Indians?

You just noticed.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliticalNickView Post

You just noticed.

Did they shoot your dog? Scare you when you were a kid? Steal your girlfriend?
 
PoliticalNick
+1
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Did they shoot your dog? Scare you when you were a kid? Steal your girlfriend?

Nope. nope and nope!

I spent most of my life in the Cowichan valley where there is a huge indian population. They are one of the wealthiest bands in Canada. They all get about $1500/mo per person (man, woman and child) from the band but most still collect welfare checks. They are given brand new houses which become broken down garbage dumps in a year or two. The attitude of entitlement is so ingrained and pervasive. They make all these declarations about a proud heritage but have basically zero pride or self-respect choosing instead to milk the system and party their lives away on my dime. They call for self-governance and an independent nation but still want the free money and benefits Canada provides. Doesn't seem to matter how many times we negotiate a 'final' settlement with them they always want to come back to renegotiate for more. A lot of that I blame on government for continually allowing it but really, where is all this pride and strong heritage and why do they have no respect for themselves or anyone else?

I speak in generalities here. I knew some who wanted nothing to do with the band and just worked hard and paid taxes and tried to be part of Canada and they were vilified for it by the others. I have just had enough of pouring money into what appears to be a worthless endeavor to help ungrateful people who refuse to help themselves.

All that said I don't respect anyone who won't work for a living and won't at least try to help themselves regardless of ethnicity.
 
Tecumsehsbones
+1
#24
Well, if your posts are anything to go by, you don't respect anyone who belongs to the same race as those whom you have deemed lazy and worthless, despite the fact that even you admit that not everybody even in the one band you base your argument on behaves the way you dislike, much less the people of a thousand other nations on two continents.

That's the problem. You see an Indian, you think "Damn lazy, worthless SOB" without knowing whether he actually is, or whether he's what you would deem a "good Indun." And you base this, as I said, on the conduct of some members of one band.

Overgeneralization. You should get that looked at.
 
petros
+2
#25
10 times out a 10 a cross dressing Native really is a cowboy.
 
PoliticalNick
+1
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Well, if your posts are anything to go by, you don't respect anyone who belongs to the same race as those whom you have deemed lazy and worthless, despite the fact that even you admit that not everybody even in the one band you base your argument on behaves the way you dislike, much less the people of a thousand other nations on two continents.

That's the problem. You see an Indian, you think "Damn lazy, worthless SOB" without knowing whether he actually is, or whether he's what you would deem a "good Indun." And you base this, as I said, on the conduct of some members of one band.

Overgeneralization. You should get that looked at.

I base my opinion on a lifetime of watching various governments in Canada try to deal with the issue. Every time a deal is struck there is another group saying it is invalid and they want to renegotiate for more. Add into the mix the indians seem to want to be Canadian and not Canadian at the same time or whichever one has the best benefit to them at that particular moment.

The vast majority I have encountered in western Canada (not just the Cowichan tribes) lack the basic self-respect to take control of their lives and responsibility for themselves and if a person has no sense of personal accountability I have no time for them. That isn't based upon their race, I despise every person who plays the victim including some of my own family.

In the end what I want is a full and final deal. Name the price to stop all the bullsh^t. Whether it's land and mineral rights or cash or a combination of all I don't care, just do a deal and be done because right now there is now reason for anyone to believe this won't still be going on in another 400 years.
 
Tecumsehsbones
+2
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliticalNickView Post

I base my opinion on a lifetime of watching various governments in Canada try to deal with the issue. Every time a deal is struck there is another group saying it is invalid and they want to renegotiate for more. Add into the mix the indians seem to want to be Canadian and not Canadian at the same time or whichever one has the best benefit to them at that particular moment.

The vast majority I have encountered in western Canada (not just the Cowichan tribes) lack the basic self-respect to take control of their lives and responsibility for themselves and if a person has no sense of personal accountability I have no time for them. That isn't based upon their race, I despise every person who plays the victim including some of my own family.

Yeah, but I bet you don't assume a white person you see is a useless welfare bum until proven otherwise.

Quote:

In the end what I want is a full and final deal. Name the price to stop all the bullsh^t. Whether it's land and mineral rights or cash or a combination of all I don't care, just do a deal and be done because right now there is now reason for anyone to believe this won't still be going on in another 400 years.

I agree with the "full and final" part, but not with the rest. In the U.S. (I can't speak for Canada, I have no interest or right there), shut it all down. BIA, INS, legal status of reservations, Mineral Trust Fund, all of it. The recognized tribes can either form into an entity that can own land (corporation, trust, foundation, whatever) or split up the land among their people.

Then you're done.

Indians who want "their own thing" can work for it. Buy the land, move in Indians, vote for county councillors who will promote an Indian-friendly legal agenda, within the laws of the state and country. Heck, move enough Indians into a state to effectively take over, and pass Indian-friendly laws for the entire state, again within the strictures of the Constitution.

It's what I've been working on for years.
 
PoliticalNick
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Yeah, but I bet you don't assume a white person you see is a useless welfare bum until proven otherwise.

Depends on where, when and what they look like but I get your point and admit my bias.

Quote:

I agree with the "full and final" part, but not with the rest. In the U.S. (I can't speak for Canada, I have no interest or right there), shut it all down. BIA, INS, legal status of reservations, Mineral Trust Fund, all of it. The recognized tribes can either form into an entity that can own land (corporation, trust, foundation, whatever) or split up the land among their people.

Then you're done.

Indians who want "their own thing" can work for it. Buy the land, move in Indians, vote for county councillors who will promote an Indian-friendly legal agenda, within the laws of the state and country. Heck, move enough Indians into a state to effectively take over, and pass Indian-friendly laws for the entire state, again within the strictures of the Constitution.

It's what I've been working on for years.

As you say I do not know about your side of the 49th. Here any reserve land is administered by the band. If an Indian wants to own private property they can just like any other Canadian. They are allowed to vote and hold office as far as I know. Contrary to popular belief anyone not working on reserve land or in a native fishery is subject to income tax and only purchases made on a reserve are exempt from sales tax though they end-run this by having everything delivered to a reserve land address.

One of my biggest complaints is the request for self-governance and a declaration of a 'separate & distinct nation' but also wanting to take all the benefits of being a Canadian citizen. It makes for complicated jurisdictional issues in dealing with the law. I don't believe you should be able to have it both ways.

I really do not care how the settlement gets structured as long as it is final and we can move forward whether that be together or completely separate.
 
personal touch
#29
Certainly Macho wants in on this conversation,strange is his/her response to such offensive ideologies is questionable
 
Tecumsehsbones
+2
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliticalNickView Post

Depends on where, when and what they look like but I get your point and admit my bias.


As you say I do not know about your side of the 49th. Here any reserve land is administered by the band. If an Indian wants to own private property they can just like any other Canadian. They are allowed to vote and hold office as far as I know. Contrary to popular belief anyone not working on reserve land or in a native fishery is subject to income tax and only purchases made on a reserve are exempt from sales tax though they end-run this by having everything delivered to a reserve land address.

One of my biggest complaints is the request for self-governance and a declaration of a 'separate & distinct nation' but also wanting to take all the benefits of being a Canadian citizen. It makes for complicated jurisdictional issues in dealing with the law. I don't believe you should be able to have it both ways.

I really do not care how the settlement gets structured as long as it is final and we can move forward whether that be together or completely separate.

The set-up's pretty much the same here. But I actually come to the same conclusion you do, but from the opposite direction.

As far as I am concerned, the welfare has harmed us more than the smallpox and the rifles combined. First, it made us dependent, and second, it's always underfunded, and frequently this or that program is cut entirely, all at the will and decision of the Shemanese (that's you). Everybody will be happier when we own what we own, all of it, and participate under the same rulebook y'all use.
 
no new posts