Mississauga drunk-driving case dropped after man not given Punjabi interpreter

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
A Brampton judge has dismissed an impaired driving charge against a man who was not given access to a Punjabi interpreter when he spoke with a lawyer following his arrest, which violated his right to counsel.

While police did initially try to accommodate the man’s language needs, their conduct “fell below the standard of care reasonably expected of them in the circumstances,” Ontario Court Justice Paul Monahan wrote in a decision released last week.

more nonsense

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...-not-given-access-to-punjabi-interpreter.html

10larry

Electoral Member
Apr 6, 2010
Niagara Falls
You guys simply don't understand, imports are no longer expected to adapt to our ways and follow our rules rather we are obliged to bend over backwards to accommodate them and this dud referred to as a judge being from import infested brampton is doing his bit on our behalf.... integration is just so passe.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
A Brampton judge has dismissed an impaired driving charge against a man who was not given access to a Punjabi interpreter when he spoke with a lawyer following his arrest, which violated his right to counsel.

While police did initially try to accommodate the man’s language needs, their conduct “fell below the standard of care reasonably expected of them in the circumstances,” Ontario Court Justice Paul Monahan wrote in a decision released last week.

more nonsense

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...-not-given-access-to-punjabi-interpreter.html

I can actually understand this.

Firstly, let's not think that prejudice and other forms of corruption cannot exist in a police officer, and so we cannot just presume that the officer himself is always telling the truth.

Secondly, even with an interpreter, we all know the game of telephone.

That said, we can look at physical matters. Should a breathalizer test prove that he was drunk, and he cannot prove that someone pinned him down onto the floor and forced the alcohol down his throat, then I don't see what language has to do with it.

How did he get an Ontario Drivers Licence in the first place if he can't conduct business in either OFFICIAL language?

I call bullshyte

It's called the travel and tourism lobby. The hotel, restaurant, airline, and other such industries would quickly cry foul if we toughened language requirements on foreign tourists renting a car for example. Not to mention the car-rental lobby.

As for myself, I could support a requirement that all persons visiting or even just transfering through Canada must know one of three languages: English, French, or Esperanto, or possess a medical certificate exempting him from it.

Esperanto is from five to ten times easier to learn than either English or French, so there would be no reason short of a medical one for a person to not be able to learn it. Sure other countries might reciprocate, and fair enough! When I was in China, I was well aware of foreign naitonals breaking minor local laws and getting away with it by feigning ignorance of Chinese.

You guys simply don't understand, imports are no longer expected to adapt to our ways and follow our rules rather we are obliged to bend over backwards to accommodate them and this dud referred to as a judge being from import infested brampton is doing his bit on our behalf.... integration is just so passe.

You can thank the travel and tourism lobby for our lax entry laws.

10larry

Electoral Member
Apr 6, 2010
Niagara Falls
Horse feathers, I visited europe many times armed with english only knowing full well dui is verboten and governed myself accordingly. That this slug chose to get loaded and drive is his burden and he must bear it. This dingbat so called judge should be unseated and religated to cleaning court room latrines with a tooth brush but pc frowns upon mollycoddleless(?) justice. This judge is obviously four square pc, so sad that common sense is out the window.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
How did he get an Ontario Drivers Licence in the first place if he can't conduct business in either OFFICIAL language?

I call bullshyte

English is the third official language in Punjab. Therefore, he had to know the language. Clearly a case of judicial error which can be appealed.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
English is the third official language in Punjab. Therefore, he had to know the language. Clearly a case of judicial error which can be appealed.

English and French are Canada's official languages. Most English don't know French, most French don't know English (statistically, only around 17% of Canadians "can hold a conversation in both official languages). For most, that probably means they can haggle at the local market in both languages. And in Nunavut with four official languages (including Inuktitut and Innuvialuqtun), around 15% can hold a conversation in neither official language.

Official applies to the Government, not the people. In any state worldwide, people will speak what people will speak. More people speak Chinese than English in Burnaby BC.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

I call bullshyte

No B.S., just the Ontario way of doing business. When I wrote my A-Z license I watched in complete awe as a Chinese guy wrote his G license with an interpreter at his side.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Since Punjabi isn't one of our official languages, this should not have happened. It is unreasonable to expect that the police in Canada should be equipped to communicate in every language on the planet.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
If I ever get stopped for something in Toronto I just have to say "Comprent pas l'englais"
They just might be frustrated enough and let me go.
If he/she should by any chance be bilingual and switch to french.....I'll just pull an Angstrom and say "I was just joking"

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
The drunk driver should have been charged

and the office should have gotten one of these

and that should be the end of it

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
English and French are Canada's official languages. Most English don't know French, most French don't know English (statistically, only around 17% of Canadians "can hold a conversation in both official languages). For most, that probably means they can haggle at the local market in both languages. And in Nunavut with four official languages (including Inuktitut and Innuvialuqtun), around 15% can hold a conversation in neither official language.

Official applies to the Government, not the people. In any state worldwide, people will speak what people will speak. More people speak Chinese than English in Burnaby BC.
Can you prove that last statement about Burnaby ?

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
Happens all the time in PQ and NB,do you loose your **** then too? Don'tell me you'd not use a technicality to get out of a stiff fine.