Photos mark Prince George's 3rd birthday

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Today is Prince George's third birthday and to mark the occasion his mum and dad have released some photos of him...

Prince George's third birthday marked with release of photos

BBC News
22 July 2016

Four official photographs marking Prince George's third birthday have been released by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

The images show the prince at the family's Norfolk home, Anmer Hall, and were taken in mid-July by photographer Matt Porteous.

One image shows the prince playing with the family dog Lupo.

Prince George Alexander Louis - known as His Royal Highness Prince George of Cambridge - was born on 22 July 2013.

A Kensington Palace spokesman said: "The Duke and Duchess hope that people will enjoy seeing these new photographs.

"They would like to thank everyone for all the lovely messages they have received as Prince George celebrates his third birthday."

Prince George's third birthday marked with release of photos - BBC News

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I'm getting confused. I'm thinking of Charles III, who will probably be George's granddad.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Animal lovers don’t find Prince George dog pic very sweet
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Friday, July 22, 2016 11:46 AM EDT | Updated: Friday, July 22, 2016 03:55 PM EDT
LONDON — Prince William and his wife Kate have released new photos of their son, Prince George, to mark his 3rd birthday.
The photos distributed Friday show George, who is third in line to the throne, playing on a swing and sitting with the family pet, a dog named Lupo.
The photo of George and Lupo, which shows the little prince offering the dog a taste of what appears to be ice cream, prompted instant criticism. Many animal welfare groups were quick to notice that ice cream is bad for dogs. The Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, which is not in any way connected to the royal family, said the sentiment was sweet, but people should not follow George’s example.
“We would advise people to be cautious when giving their dogs food meant for human consumption as some items, like chocolate, can be highly toxic to dogs and dairy items can be difficult for them to digest.”
The four photos were taken earlier this month at the family’s country home. A palace statement said William and Kate hope people will enjoy the new photographs taken by Matt Porteous.
George is behind his grandfather, Prince Charles, and his father William in the line of succession.
With files from the National Post
Animal lovers don’t find Prince George dog pic very sweet. (Getty)

Animal lovers don’t find Prince George dog pic very sweet | Royals | Life | Toro

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
RACHEL JOHNSON: The barking row over George the 'monarchist monster' giving Lupo the spaniel an ice cream to lick proves that we should all GET A GRIP!

By Rachel Johnson (Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson's sister) for The Mail on Sunday
24 July 2016

As if shootings in Munich, riots in Hyde Park, a failed coup in Turkey, Russian Olympic doping and the sweltering July sky weren’t enough to be going on with… we now have the outrage of the righteous over a photo of a three-year-old moppet holding out a half-eaten Magnum for his own dog to lick on a hot summer’s day.

It’s a miracle that Lupo – a handsome black spaniel, sitting in the sphinx position like the good boy he clearly is – didn’t take Prince George’s arm off.

But what is the appreciative reaction on social media and beyond to this charming tableau, taken to mark the third birthday of the people’s chubster?

George is a ‘monarchist monster’ for giving the dog chocolate, he should even ‘go to prison’ for animal cruelty, and the ever-sensible RSPCA has issued a po-faced statement and reminded us all that dogs are ‘lactose-intolerant’.

It’s a miracle that Lupo – a handsome black spaniel, sitting in the sphinx position like the good boy he clearly is – didn’t take Prince George’s arm off

‘We would advise people to be cautious when giving their dogs food meant for human consumption, as some items, like chocolate, can be highly toxic to dogs and dairy items can be difficult for them to digest,’ a spokesman said.

‘Instead of ice cream we would suggest making an ice lolly from pet-friendly ingredients. Making these can be really fun for children and the end product is both safe and enjoyable for dogs.’

Pet-friendly ingredients? Doggy ice-lollies? Canine digestive issues? You’ve got to wonder: has anyone in the RSPCA ever, actually, had a dog?

I know that you shouldn’t give them chocolate or raisins – although I only found out about raisins when I made the mistake of writing here that I picked them out of my muesli and fed them to my dog Coco. I had to print a warning the following week about dogs, raisins, and fatal kidney failure.

I will be terribly in the doghouse if I say this, but anyone who has had a dog – and my neighbour Becky says her Border puppy Matilda ‘eats anything, including other dogs’ poo’ – knows that they gobble everything, from shoes to chicken bones on the street.

They rarely suffer any ill effects. And yet we still treat our pets with all the expensive preciousness that the most pampered yummy mummies lavish on themselves and their own entitled children.

Within a mile radius of my house there’s a pet deli and spa, a pet boutique, and bar with separate human and canine menus and a fashion range, and many pet shops that sell fresh and frozen raw and organic meals for dogs.

No yellow tins of cornershop Pedigree Chum or boxes of Bakers Meaty Meals here. All offer a wide and pricey range of services from grooming to pet portraits to acupuncture.

Nationwide, there are dog hotels (£30 a day, activities include Jacuzzi, treadmill and swimming), as well as a wide network of dog therapists, dog whisperers and dog trainers. Yes, we now accord our pets a level of care and comfort that the elderly in our care homes can only envy, and as a nation we should use Lollygate to recognise that it’s probably time to get a grip.

Of course Prince George should have let Lupo have a little lick of his Magnum.

After all, in the Famous Five books, Timmy was always given his own dish of ice cream along with Julian, Dick, Anne and George.

And above all, Lupo is a DOG. Anyone who disagrees with me is barking.