Money for Nothing and the Checks for Free

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Money for nothing: pay glitch keeps cheques coming for some public servants

Some government workers getting 2 paycheques and random bank deposits

CBC News Posted: Jul 11, 2016 5:30 AM ET Last Updated: Jul 11, 2016 12:41 PM ET

Many public servants across the country have been waiting months to get a paycheque but some people are also coming forward with stories about getting paid more than they have earned.

The federal government introduced its new Phoenix payroll system, designed by IBM, in February, but ongoing problems have meant some federal workers are now facing financial difficulties.

But some employees are also trying to give money back to the government.

Here are a few stories CBC Ottawa received about public servants getting paid for work they didn't actually do.

'No one seems able to stop my pay!'

A former public servant who wanted to be anonymous wrote: I had a contract with Citizenship and Immigration that ended in January. However, I am still being paid. I have emailed my former department and the pay centre back in Miramachi several times, but no one seems able to stop my pay! In the meantime I have it all put aside waiting for someone to sort this out. Fortunately, this is a minor inconvenience for me, and I feel for those that aren't getting what they are due, but it's also indicative of the mess that has happened with transferring pay and benefits out of local offices.

$8,000 wrongly deposited into account

Another former public servant who wanted to be anonymous wrote: There has been much media coverage on the Phoenix mess, with most articles covering the fact that federal employees or students are not being paid. I would like people to know that this mess goes further. In my case, I have been overpaid. On May 18, 2016, I received two pay cheques plus an amount of over $8,000 that was deposited in my bank account (I have no idea why this amount was deposited). I was paid twice again on June 1.

I opened a separate bank account to ensure that I will be able to return the money once someone figures out what happened. My concern is that there are probably people out there who have financial difficulties and may actually spend these overpayments instead of putting the money aside. These individuals would be in trouble once the federal government gets at them to get the money back. I understand that receiving too much money does not compare to people who get nothing but this type of situation must still be addressed and, for me, is quite uncomfortable.

Another issue with Phoenix is that if you change jobs, as well as groups and levels, the system automatically puts you right back at the minimum level of the pay rate even if you were at the maximum level in your previous job. That has happened to me, so I am currently being paid $10,000 less per year that I should be. So, I will have to return money to the government which also owes me money....not sure how I will figure this out.

And yet more:

Money for nothing: pay glitch keeps cheques coming for some public servants - Ottawa - CBC News

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I thought this was going to be a Bernie Sanders thread...

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
All government employees are paid more than they earn.

Some are, some aren't, ts. If you consider, as I do, that our Armed Forces are in reality government employees they then fall into the latter category being highly underpaid both while serving and after retirement.

However, when it comes to bureaucrats in general, I am a great believer in the Peter Principle which implies that a great many are very probably overpaid considering their inadequacies for the position they hold.