What should be done about the state of the news media?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Over the past six or seven years, I’ve spent more nights than I care to count sitting in bars with fellow journalists bemoaning the relentless decline in the industry’s fortunes, while spitballing about alternative revenue models, content models, regulatory policies, or technologies that might save the business. In that time, I’ve held pretty much every position imaginable. Many of these positions I’ve argued for in private with colleagues, in public in columns, on panels, even as a paid speaker.

If there is one thing I’ve concluded, it is this: No one knows what the future of the news media looks like. I don’t, the people running the major news companies don’t, the people running the cool new digital shops don’t, and the consultants who continue to charge healthy fees giving advice certainly don’t. Yet the “legacy”, or traditional media, continue to decline, and the new media darlings, like Buzzfeed, Vice, and others, aren’t doing so well either. No one has figured things out.

What, if anything, should be done about this?

That’s the question the federal government has asked the Public Policy Forum to help advise them on. In particular, the government has charged the PPF with answering three questions:

Does the deteriorating state of traditional media put at risk the civic function of journalism and thus the health of democracy? If so, are new digitally based news media filling the gap? If not, is there a role for public policy to help maintain a healthy flow of news and information, and how could it be done least intrusively?

To that end, the PPF has organized a series of roundtables and commissioned some polling, with a report to come this fall.

more

What should be done about the state of the news media? | In Due Course

Liberals seek outside advice as they mull policy help for struggling news media | National Observer

the state has no business in the 'news' business. that becomes the propaganda we are treading water in these days.

agree original content must be acknowledged and somehow compensated for by law.

unhealthy and dangerous for giant platforms to be psychofeeding captive, ignorant and unsophisticated audiences 'news'. the censored and biased politico swill that is at best, infotainment.

people must learn to seek sources and learn for themselves.

once traditional tv and 'hollow-wood' entertainment branches and spokesdouches finally go away and become less relevant there will be less interference from those considered 'idols', 'mentors', 'heroes' due to celebrity.

let the chips fall where they may.