Calgary getting to be a police state?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
That's fine, I just think people should have the choice!

They've had the choice up to now, and they have chosen not to compost, but instead, continue to throw compostable material in with the garbage.

Another 'green' tax grab. And for the 95% who won't compost there will be a lot of garbage to pick up on every other week.

It's a way to cut down on landfill use. When they added the blue recycle bins, it cut down considerably on the amount of garbage picked up. They are hoping the same thing happens with the composting material.

If our landfills had unlimited area, wouldn't be anything to worry about, unfortunately, that is not the case.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
They've had the choice up to now, and they have chosen not to compost, but instead, continue to throw compostable material in with the garbage.

It's a way to cut down on landfill use. When they added the blue recycle bins, it cut down considerably on the amount of garbage picked up. They are hoping the same thing happens with the composting material.

If our landfills had unlimited area, wouldn't be anything to worry about, unfortunately, that is not the case.

Good to hear from you Gerry, I was just thinking you'd be piping up shortly and I agree with 90% of what you say, but I say people should be given the choice, which way they want to go.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Good to hear from you Gerry, I was just thinking you'd be piping up shortly and I agree with 90% of what you say, but I say people should be given the choice, which way they want to go.

and I pointed out that they had a choice, and chose not to compost. Therefore they will now have to pay.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
According to my house taxes I have to fork over $150 for an "organics" bin this year. No more completing because apparently it stinks and rats love em.

The city is kind enough to complete my waste and selling back to me as bags of soil.

How cute.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
According to my house taxes I have to fork over $150 for an "organics" bin this year. No more completing because apparently it stinks and rats love em.

The city is kind enough to complete my waste and selling back to me as bags of soil.

How cute.

I was under the impression AB is rat free...............at least the four legged ones! :)

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

How cute.

Sucks to be you. We are only looking at 6.50 per month. About half what you pay.

I was under the impression AB is rat free...............at least the four legged ones! :)

We pretty much are. He is not from or in Alberta.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

Maybe it would be better under a Trump leadership.. ;)

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
"It's important to frame this in the context of, not a fee but in cost avoidance," he said.

lmfao

it's a not a fee.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

Not against composting. Just the tax on it. Just call it a property tax increase which is what it is. And if you want to cut down on the waste, make it a per container of trash charge. Make composting and recycling pickups free and unlimited. Placing a tax on what you are encouraging is insane.