It takes 23 years to save for a down payment in Metro Vancouver!

Scooby

Electoral Member
Mar 22, 2012
Alberta
So, real estate investments are more important to people than affordable housing for common folk?

People need to downsize their expectations, this is the future.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
So, real estate investments are more important to people than affordable housing for common folk?

People need to downsize their expectations, this is the future.

This thread has everything to do with affordable housing for the common folk. Those $million houses in Vancouver should be within reach for the working stiff. The Orientals are devaluing our dollar!

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
This thread has everything to do with affordable housing for the common folk. Those $million houses in Vancouver should be within reach for the working stiff. The Orientals are devaluing our dollar!
The govt is devaluing our dollar. The Chinese are just taking advantage of it.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

You can thank big mouth protestors for not wanting high density developments some 30-40 odd years ago long before the Asian heard of Vancouver.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
The price is what the market will bear. If you can't afford a house don't buy one and don't begrudge those who are able to afford it.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The price is what the market will bear. If you can't afford a house don't buy one and don't begrudge those who are able to afford it.

There's a smidgen of truth in what you say, Walter, but we low level peons have to stick together, otherwise we'll get over run by an arrogant minority! :) :)

Let's see if I survive the day...LOL

You just take my advice young fella and attack ideas, but not people!

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I'm all for affordable housing but what is one's definition of that. I hear all these kids complaining about affordability but they want the 30th floor condo overlooking Stanley park or a modest 5000 sq ft on Westwood plateau. My first house was 50 years old with 2 br & 1 bath and 850 sq ft. It needed a ton of work so I didn't have a weekend or a holiday or spending money for a couple of years but it was mine and it was home. The younger generations need to come to terms that they aren't going to buy their parents house in Kitsalano and instead look for that fixer-upper in Aldergrove or old condo in the Burnaby backwaters and commute like most of us did 30 years ago.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm all for affordable housing but what is one's definition of that. I hear all these kids complaining about affordability but they want the 30th floor condo overlooking Stanley park or a modest 5000 sq ft on Westwood plateau. My first house was 50 years old with 2 br & 1 bath and 850 sq ft. It needed a ton of work so I didn't have a weekend or a holiday or spending money for a couple of years but it was mine and it was home. The younger generations need to come to terms that they aren't going to buy their parents house in Kitsalano and instead look for that fixer-upper in Aldergrove or old condo in the Burnaby backwaters and commute like most of us did 30 years ago.

Forty three years ago I bought a 12 X 52' trailer for under $8000 and then a few years later bought a 14 X 70' trailer for $20,000, a few years after that we managed to put a fairly substantial down payment on a house for $55,000. Those were the good old days, which sadly are long gone! :) The dollar ain't worth a nickel anymore!