Ghomeshi to sign peace bond.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Jian Ghomeshi won’t face second assault trial, case to be resolved by peace bond: sources | National Post

I'm in agreement with the Peace Bond, but shouldn't it be for life? W.T.F. is the good of just a year?

JLM, he was found not guilty in the previous trial and now with this one being dropped in favor of a peace bond, one has to wonder if the Crown had a case at all. We may not like the guy but without further proof that he has done something worth trying him for along with his agreement to plead guilty to inappropriate sexual advances, a year without contact with the witness is about all the courts can do. IMHO

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
So after a year you can go around punching people?

Man, I LOVE Canada!

Very few teeth in our "justice" system for sure!

Just checked a legal site in Ontario and found out that peace bonds may be issued for one year but no longer.

Peace bonds | LawFacts

I don't doubt that for one minute, Mowich! :) :)

JLM, he was found not guilty in the previous trial and now with this one being dropped in favor of a peace bond, one has to wonder if the Crown had a case at all. We may not like the guy but without further proof that he has done something worth trying him for along with his agreement to plead guilty to inappropriate sexual advances, a year without contact with the witness is about all the courts can do. IMHO

I guess they've determined he's guilty of something but they are not sure what the "something" is. Keeping the peace for a year seems like a bit of a charade to me. The Crown should just drop it. They've more less accomplished what they want and what is in the best interest of the community. Any woman who has anything to do with him now does so at her own peril and she knows it. But it will probably only stop a few of them! :)

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

I don't doubt that for one minute, Mowich! :) :)

I guess they've determined he's guilty of something but they are not sure what the "something" is. Keeping the peace for a year seems like a bit of a charade to me. The Crown should just drop it. They've more less accomplished what they want and what is in the best interest of the community. Any woman who has anything to do with him now does so at her own peril and she knows it. But it will probably only stop a few of them! :)

I was wrong about him pleading guilty, JLM. Apparently he does not have to admit to any guilt in the matter. He does have to apologize to the complainant. He will sign a peace bond and be on his way.

I may not like this person but I do feel that he was pilloried by the press and his reputation was trashed and for what? The Crown comes out of this looking less than capable of sustaining a conviction and maybe that is why they have chosen this route to allay any further damage to their reputations.

Any woman who does choose to associate with Ghomeshi will now be forewarned about his sexual preferences and can make her own decision whether or not to participate. There are thousands of folks for whom this type of sexual behavior is the norm, JLM.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I was wrong about him pleading guilty, JLM. Apparently he does not have to admit to any guilt in the matter. He does have to apologize to the complainant. He will sign a peace bond and be on his way.

I may not like this person but I do feel that he was pilloried by the press and his reputation was trashed and for what? The Crown comes out of this looking less than capable of sustaining a conviction and maybe that is why they have chosen this route to allay any further damage to their reputations.

Any woman who does choose to associate with Ghomeshi will now be forewarned about his sexual preferences and can make her own decision whether or not to participate. There are thousands of folks for whom this type of sexual behavior is the norm, JLM.

Yep :) :) :) :)

P.S. Possibly even the complainants who may have been happy with it until they thought they could smell some money. :)

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

I knew he was innocent from the beginning.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I knew he was innocent from the beginning.

Well aren't you the little smarty pants. :lol: I confess that the media coverage sucked me in and I was ready to see him tried and hung. By the time the second witness had left the stand, I was thinking WTF? Now I am tending in JLM's direction thinking that someone smelled money and decided to go for it and with all the collusion that came out during the trial, it appears the others jumped on the bandwagon.

This last case was a workplace incident and apparently there was a witness to the alleged 'assault' which really makes me wonder why the Crown decided to go with the apology and the peace bond. No smoke, no fire?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
The whole affair is of course beyound me untill my investigative staff answers the question, WTF was that all about? It seems we will not have to castrate anyone afterall.

No castration .............but a little castigation might be in order.......and it would not be Ghomeshi on the receiving end.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Certainly it is a demanding subject, one that demands concentration and deep study, both of which I am unable to provide at this time. Yes he should be beat up before he is released, just to be safe.

Public prosicution should be reviewed, this is obviouslty a substandard outcome, they have tarnished the nation, the whole lot of them shoukld be reeducated at one of our reclaimation spa;s, the department needs a good scrubbing with pinsol or javex

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Certainly it is a demanding subject, one that demands concentration and deep study, both of which I am unable to provide at this time. Yes he should be beat up before he is released, just to be safe.

No, no, no...........no beating up of anyone, DB, least of all the former accused. Besides, he might like it.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Well aren't you the little smarty pants. :lol: I confess that the media coverage sucked me in and I was ready to see him tried and hung. By the time the second witness had left the stand, I was thinking WTF? Now I am tending in JLM's direction thinking that someone smelled money and decided to go for it and with all the collusion that came out during the trial, it appears the others jumped on the bandwagon.

This last case was a workplace incident and apparently there was a witness to the alleged 'assault' which really makes me wonder why the Crown decided to go with the apology and the peace bond. No smoke, no fire?

Once burned, twice shy. Can you imagine the sh-itstorm if they bungled another trial?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I think someone in the Justice department has finally come to their senses. While signing the peace bond seems simplified on the surface it did give the complainant a chance to speak her mind and tell it exactly as it is. Had it have been a trial she would like have been "handcuffed" and "gagged" by her lawyer and the judge. This way the whole world knows what a rotten S.O.B. Ghomeshi is, instead of all the sympathy he got after the last trial, after the Bimbos got things completely screwed up. Now Ghomeshi can slink off into a dark corner somewhere and pull a cover over his head.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I think someone in the Justice department has finally come to their senses. While signing the peace bond seems simplified on the surface it did give the complainant a chance to speak her mind and tell it exactly as it is. Had it have been a trial she would like have been "handcuffed" and "gagged" by her lawyer and the judge. This way the whole world knows what a rotten S.O.B. Ghomeshi is, instead of all the sympathy he got after the last trial, after the Bimbos got things completely screwed up. Now Ghomeshi can slink off into a dark corner somewhere and pull a cover over his head.

She got to tell her story anyway. Not necessarily the truth.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
She got to tell her story anyway. Not necessarily the truth.

I really have to wonder what she meant by this: "“A trial would have further subjected me to the very same pattern of abuse that I am currently trying to stop,” ........inside a courtroom, no less.

Ghomeshi's legal battle ends with apology for 'sexually inappropriate' conduct - Chatelaine

I'm also taken aback about this whole "survivor" thing. It may very well apply to those who have suffered long term personal and emotional abuse - it does not apply here. Reading that word, one might be led to believe they escaped some horrible catastrophe or barely got away with their lives. Such is not the case. It is yet another example of words being used inappropriately or to further a certain group's agenda.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The establishment always protects its own and here they have done it again
they don't want him gu ilty because society will be judged in having got it wrong
in the public arena.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

The justice system in Canada does not lack for dentition, JLM. It may lack due diligence in that the wits in the first trail should have been vetted much, much more thoroughly. In the end, justice was served.

I guess they've determined he's guilty of something but they are not sure what the "something" is
Ghomeshi's apology was not an admission of guilt. It was an apology for his egregious behavior - nothing more.

Keeping the peace for a year seems like a bit of a charade to me.
He has a year to prove that he can be a good boy - not an arrogant *******. Apparently, he has been in therapy for several months and by accounts is learning how not to be an arrogant *******. One can only hope.

The Crown should just drop it
They just did. This is the end. Unless Ghomeshi breaks any of the rules of the bond in which case he will promptly be sent to jail. Personally I do not see that happening. I never took him for a stupid person just someone who felt he was entitled to run his little kingdom any way he saw fit. In that he got away with it for so long says just as much about the CBC as it does about Jian.