Syrian Refugees donate to Fort Mac

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Antigonish's first family of Syrian refugees says they're doing so well with their new chocolate company, they'll donate their profits in the next few weeks to help the Canadian Red Cross's relief efforts in Fort McMurray.

​The Hadhad's owned a chocolate factory in Syria but it was destroyed in the war. The family arrived in Antigonish in January with hopes of rebuilding the business.

Over the last month, they've been swamped with big orders from the provincial Liberal annual general meeting and events at St. Francis Xavier University to local weddings.

The family set up a table at the first Antigonish Farmers' Market of the season, and served dozens of customers eager to try their homemade sweets.

Tareq Hadhad thinks they'll soon be able to open a little chocolate shop in the town. But first, the family wants to make a donation to help the people of Fort McMurray.

Hadhad says many of their new friends in Antigonish are affected by the devastating fire.

He says his family understands what it feels like to flee their home and lose everything, so they are hoping to do what they can to help.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/syrian-chocolate-makers-antigonish-donate-111400666.html

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Somebody isn't going the be too happy to see their plate of crow has arrived. lol Thank you BTW great timing if nothing else.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Admiring the walls that are thicker than canvas as the difference a lack of bullet-holes make in the general scenery of the new community.
I wonder how many from Ft Mac took advantage of the West Edmonton Mall offer?

Did you not get the news, they have enough donations for the fire refugees, now they need people to sweep up all the ash. Can I book you a ticket?

I'll bet a few decide to stay in the 'grassland' part of AB and have seen enough of trees turning to turpine just as the fire gets to there.

It's also a bit sad to see they downplay the death of the 9 year old as not being a 'fire-related' death yet mention a sprained ankle as being the 'only injury'. I would say that was a media decision rather than a boots on the ground one.

Last edited:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Somebody isn't going the be too happy to see their plate of crow has arrived. lol Thank you BTW great timing if nothing else.

I highlighted the important words such that your handler can explain the nuances here.

How many invitations are the families that are displaced by the fire getting from folks 1/2 way around the world?

For that matter, any word on the volume of donations food and clothing that have come in from Europe or the Middle East?

PS - take your pills

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Try to stay farther away from the kool-aid that can also be used as a fire starter.

Please find Syria on a map, think of it as they just decided to shop locally rather than go back there and start the drive for goods as they would be in a refugee camp and the common term for them is 'the jungle'. Would you like a course in why that term is used?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Reading and comprehension are truly important.

I can see why you are feeling pretty stupid right about now for drawing even more attention to your faulty commentary
About somebody eating crow over this post. It seem like you want Syrians in Syria to donate more than Canadians do to this 'local disaster'. The in-place plans go from local to provincial to federal, in that order in case you want to say JT is slack in mobilizing the Federal end of it when they would pick up the restoration bill once the insurance companies claim that fire insurance does not cover fire that travels through the trees to get there. The decimated parts would be examples of what not to do as far as building codes and trees go. If you want lots of trees you need clay or metal roofs and rock gardens as the preferred residential landscaping theme, open areas can gave green lawns and a few shade trees and many 'parks/fields'. City hydrants should have 'sprinkler attachments' that can be connected and they run unattended as long as there is water pressure.

You can't prevent fires but you can minimize their ability to cause a lot of damage.

Reading and comprehension are truly important.

I can see why you are feeling pretty stupid right about now for drawing even more attention to your faulty commentary
Fire season has just started, there are already other places that are within range of fires. Ft St John is an example.

The Ft Mac fire might get to Sask before it is out.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Don't know what all the hate is about... the Muslim community works as a team, which is amazing..

Most of the Syrian refugees have gotten loans from their local mosques to start businesses.. they also help them by buying Tractor Trailers, or Taxi Licenses or other small businesses to get them working. Another church that does this is the Mormon Church, big in Southern Alberta.

Do you think the richest Church in the world would do that for their congregation.. the Catholic Church??

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Even kind enough to point out the nearest bar was in FT McLeod when asked. Bit spooky that the whole restaurant went dead silent till I left the place. Almost as bad as the whole bar going silent in High Prairie the afternoon I strolled into the bar to get a case of beer for the road. Other than showing there are some weird places in AB the point is what? (there is a kick *** leather store down in that area so it is worth the drive, just take $500 along)

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Cardston, Alberta.. has a magnificent Mormon Temple towering over the town.

Little history on the town: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardston

One of the Richest in Alberta, and very quite.. very nice community and very trusting people.
I'd like to have the job of mowing that lawn with a good riding mower like Forrest Gump.

Even kind enough to point out the nearest bar was in FT McLeod when asked. Bit spooky that the whole restaurant went dead silent till I left the place. Almost as bad as the whole bar going silent in High Prairie the afternoon I strolled into the bar to get a case of beer for the road. Other than showing there are some weird places in AB the point is what? (there is a kick *** leather store down in that area so it is worth the drive, just take $500 along)
What's a scripture quoting bible thumpster such as yourself doing beer sotting it on the road ye souse. What did you do try to preach in the bar? Ye be a David Koresh wannabe.