Fort McMurray under seige...

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
I remember when the locals used to say they were under siege when the Newfies started showing up....

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Was this fort named after the great American actor Fred McMurray?
You've never been to the Peter Pond Bar have you?? Considering this is 'muck murray' why don't they spray down the buildings before they leave and that way embers won't star any fires and wash it off if the building is still there after the fire has passed.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I wonder if hundred-thousand-dollar-houses-with-million-dollar-mortgages are fully covered by insurance. All the best, people. You're hurting lots now....

Depends on the policy.

A lot of folks that live in SE BC had their homes leveled by forest fires... Those folks weren't covered because of the fire risk and there was no infrastructure in place (hydrants, etc) to mitigate the risk.

I'll wager that the homes on Ft Mac will be covered and the value dependent on the details of the policy

PS - It's the value of the land and location that really is the value more so than the bricks and mortar

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Same way Calgary houses were 'protected' due to heavy rains. Since the rain did not come through the roof but came 'overland due to a flooding waterway' all insurance claims were denied. The fire would probably have to start inside the dwelling rather than starting on the outside.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Same way Calgary houses were 'protected' due to heavy rains. Since the rain did not come through the roof but came 'overland due to a flooding waterway' all insurance claims were denied. The fire would probably have to start inside the dwelling rather than starting on the outside.

All depends on the document but if you live in a community that has fire stations, hydrants, etc, I'll wager that you are covered

As for the flooding, as long as the water didn't come through a door or window (relating to how high the flood waters were), the insurance will cover.

There are many homes (probably the majority) that had flooding due to the weeping tiles not being able to deal with the exceptionally high water table and/or the water/sewer facilities refluxing back into the house.

All of these are valid insurance claims (presuming you have flood/water damage coverage).

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I've always liked you, Cliffy, but man, sometimes you say the silliest stuff.
To me the Earth is a living entity and the tar sands are like a giant man made cyst that is being carved out with an excavator. Short sighted stupidity perpetrated by mindless drone slaves. It is a monument to mindless consumerism and rape & pillage capitalism, the silliest endeavors of humanity. When humanity is choking in its own effluent and greed, I can only say it is Karma at work. Unfortunately, many innocent people and other species will suffer along with the perps.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
If you have ever fought forest fires or have had one in your back yard like we did here
at the farm a few years ago you wouldn't wish anyone ill regardless of opinions about
what a town or neighbourhood represents it is scary as hell