What caused Haiti’s cholera epidemic?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
it sure wasn't the vapors. and I didn't do it.

The CDC museum knows but won’t say

Last Friday, a friend doing research at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta sent me a photo of a display at the CDC’s in-house museum. She thought I’d be interested because it had to do with the cholera epidemic in Haiti, which I lived through at its beginning and have been reporting on ever since.

She was right. It blew my mind:

Farren Yero

To understand what’s so insane about it, you need to know a little about two of the maps in that image and the CDC’s history with the epidemic.

The main part of the map, that pink-and-red mass that looks like a crab claw, is Haiti. Specifically, it is Haiti at the height of the worst cholera epidemic in recent history, an incredible scourge that by official count has killed at least 9,265 people and sickened 775,000 people in that country alone—figures that many experts believe are wild underestimates. Even though this map is just a snapshot from early January 2011, less than three months into an epidemic that has now been raging nearly six years, you’ll note that already not a single part of the country has been left untouched. (The red areas are home to 25,000 cases or more; the pale pink areas, at least 1,000.) By then, the disease had already spread into the neighboring Dominican Republic and would soon be in Cuba, Venezuela, Mexico, and other parts of the region.

One of the several key facts this map fails to note is that three months earlier there had been zero diagnosed cases of cholera in Haiti. In fact, there had never been a diagnosed case of the disease in that country before. More on that in a bit.

Now let’s go to the second map, the inset at the bottom right—the little beige street grid:

This is the most famous map in the history of public health and one of the most important in the history of science. It was drawn in 1854 by John Snow, a Victorian anesthesiologist and polymath who, faced with one of the many catastrophic cholera outbreaks that plagued London in the 19th century, decided to figure out what caused it, scientifically. (At the time, most people thought cholera—a bacterial disease—was a product of either bad odors, moral and physical weakness, or the wrath of God.)

more

What caused Haiti’s cholera epidemic? The CDC’s museum knows but won’t say.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
So in cases like Haiti and the quake it was seen as a great time to experiment on the survivors without being found accountable. That is so American, they must love what happened in Japan.

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
I would say many things, but hygiene and above ground sewer system certainly cannot help. Maybe some of the 9 billions raised could have been spent on sanitation.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
the CDC knows as well as anyone else that the source—that unidentified spot beside the red triangle, the Broad Street pump of Haiti—was a U.N. peacekeeping base. This one:
U.N. base, October 2010. Jonathan M. Katz

Which was full of stuff like this:

A pool of U.N. peacekeepers’ feces, across the street from the base and a few yards from Haiti’s most important river system. Jonathan M. Katz

The U.N. soldiers at that base had just arrived from their home country, Nepal, where a cholera outbreak was underway. Thanks to negligent sanitation practices, such as the open dump pits above, there was a multiplicity of ways that their choleraic feces could have gotten from the base into the river, including latrine pipes leaking over a drainage canal that emptied into the river.

However it happened, from that very spot, that cholera strain—the same strain found in Nepal, which had never been seen before in Haiti, ever—spread throughout the country.
By January 2011, the date given for the map, it had been well-established—mainly through my reporting and the work of French epidemiologist Renaud Piarroux—that this was the case.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Well there's just entirely too many damn folks taking a shyt several times a day if you ask me. Cut down on the amount of folks taking dumps all day long and you won't have problems like these come up on ye.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
the CDC knows as well as anyone else that the source—that unidentified spot beside the red triangle, the Broad Street pump of Haiti—was a U.N. peacekeeping base. This one:
U.N. base, October 2010. Jonathan M. Katz

Which was full of stuff like this:

A pool of U.N. peacekeepers’ feces, across the street from the base and a few yards from Haiti’s most important river system. Jonathan M. Katz

The U.N. soldiers at that base had just arrived from their home country, Nepal, where a cholera outbreak was underway. Thanks to negligent sanitation practices, such as the open dump pits above, there was a multiplicity of ways that their choleraic feces could have gotten from the base into the river, including latrine pipes leaking over a drainage canal that emptied into the river.

However it happened, from that very spot, that cholera strain—the same strain found in Nepal, which had never been seen before in Haiti, ever—spread throughout the country.
By January 2011, the date given for the map, it had been well-established—mainly through my reporting and the work of French epidemiologist Renaud Piarroux—that this was the case.
Nice catch loc.
Probably why they were brought there in the first place, the place was too healthy considering they were flat *** broke and the only medical care was coming from Cuba.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Nice catch loc.
Probably why they were brought there in the first place, the place was too healthy considering they were flat *** broke and the only medical care was coming from Cuba.
Take's a ton of cash to deal with all the poopie being produced these days because folks can't stop rammin groceries down their necks. You'd think in an impoverished place like Haiti they'd be a lot less pooh being dropped but obviously folks are finding ways to contaminate the place with their waste. Why don't you take a break from your pills MHz and figure out how to deal with this shytty situation.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I wonder why they always leave out the part on how it was intentionally caused by themselves at the request of the US. I'll bet Haiti would have preferred Trump had been in charge back when the quake happened. It might be different if they didn't bring those soldiers in because they had the disease.