Should Canada join the call for a ban on 'killer' robots?

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Should Canada join the call for a ban on 'killer' robots?

Should Canada join the call for a ban on 'killer' robots? - Politics - CBC News

Autonomous cars then trucks and planes so why not robots.

This is a continuation of the industrial revulution were machines took away jobs. With killer robots would save lives just because one can fix broken machines more better than human bodies in a war where people die. They can put a ban on it but no one would follow it because of secrecy laws.

What do you think?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Here is a killer robot in action. We already have them.

This is a fully autonomous, automatic robot. Once it is turned on, it operates without human intervention. Our Navy has one each on our major warships, Frigates Destroyer, once-upon-a-tims supply ships. They are the only reliable defence against Excocet type missiles. Humans just can't react fast enough, so we use a robot. They also work against aircraft and high speed boats, hence the "killer" part. If we get out of the business of deploying this particular robot ... the Phalanx CIWS, you are condemning our ships and their crews to certain death if they are ever attacked. You are decades out of phase with the reality, Liberalman ( Why am I not surprised).

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto

This is a fully autonomous, automatic robot. Once it is turned on, it operates without human intervention. Our Navy has one each on our major warships, Frigates Destroyer, once-upon-a-tims supply ships. They are the only reliable defence against Excocet type missiles. Humans just can't react fast enough, so we use a robot. They also work against aircraft and high speed boats, hence the "killer" part. If we get out of the business of deploying this particular robot ... the Phalanx CIWS, you are condemning our ships and their crews to certain death if they are ever attacked. You are decades out of phase with the reality, Liberalman ( Why am I not surprised).
Curious Cdn I war refering to the soldiers or boots on the ground but like you would understand that ( Why am I not surprised).

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Curious Cdn I war refering to the soldiers or boots on the ground but like you would understand that ( Why am I not surprised).

Well, after seeing what the Lloyd Axworthys and Jean Chretiens of the last have done to weaken our already meagre defences during my lifetime, the prefix "Liberal" means disaster to those who have to defend our land.

How about arial drones? They don't sing Kumbaya as they fly by, do they? They should all be banned under the killer robot umbrella, shouldn't they? A nasty, Tory weapon, those ...

Here is the problem, though. The performance of jet fighter aircraft creates kinetics that far exceed what the human body can endure. Autonomous, killer robot jet fighters are coming, and soon. The next generation of fighter aircraft that Canada MAY buy (depends on how long we remain Liberalmen. If it's a decade, skip the next step) will be the last manned fighter aircraft. Those automatic planes will outperform manned aircraft on almost all levels and they will clean the skies of manned aircraft, whether the Liberalmen like it or not.

So, the definition of "killer robot" is that they have to walk around like C3PO? They almost certainly will not. Why go to all of the trouble of creating a walking gait and all of the inherent instability that goes with it when it is so easy to make them hover. Is this "peace-in-our-time" proposal the product of some weekend Lib party think tank at a swanky hotel, somewhere? Watching superhero movies in your rooms, again?

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Land mines are the most basic killer robot, only needing a simple switch to make one decision, and look at the problems they cause, especially AFTER a conflict...and that's not even mentioning the banes of modern digital thinking: AIs, and hacking...

A ban will be as useless for bots as it is for alcohol, or drugs: only making a black market in weaponised bots financially viable, and ceding power to the unfettered.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Killer robots aren't fair!

You can't force them to make statements in front of a camera and hacking their processors off just ain't fun!

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
I think POlitical Correctness will kill us way before Godzilla or killer robots.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
We want something that can sneak up on an owl (for fun) and chase a polar bear down (and tag him). Then we can export it and let 'them' worry about it.

All this focus on killer robots, but I'm telling you, it's Godzilla we got to worry about!
Build a robot that can pull at the hair on the nape of his neck. He will obey any command you give him at that moment. Ma says it always worked for her.