Stephen Fry: "Abuse victims should grow up"

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Actor, TV presenter and author Stephen Fry has made some intelligent remarks - so intelligent, in fact, that the right-on Twitterati are raging.

The QI presenter and former Blackadder star, 58,
has sparked outrage after criticizing the idea of safe spaces and trigger words, and saying that child victims of sexual abuse should 'grow up' and not feel sorry for themselves.

The actor, author and television personality made the controversial comments during an interview with Dave Rubin on the American current events TV show The Rubin Report.

Mr Rubin asked Fry about whether he considered 'the regressive left, coming after language and free speech' to be an issue in Britain.

Fry, 58, replied: 'We fear that it’s going to happen more and more because America leads and Britain follows in all kinds of ways.'

He added, referring to controversy over a statue of Cecil Rhodes at Oriel College in Oxford: 'I think it started to happen in Britain with the attempted removal of statues of people who are considered unlikable - who were once beloved - and have become in a very 1984 way, "unpersons"'.

Fry went on to say that he believes some people are becoming too sensitive, criticising those who avoid 'trigger words' for fear of controversy.

'It’s a great shame and we’re all very sorry that your uncle touched you in that nasty place – you get some of my sympathy – but your self pity gets none of my sympathy', he said.

Cue outrage from the Twitter morons.

I don't like this current trend of British newspaper websites quoting - quote after quote after quote - comments on Twitter from the self-righteously outraged. It's just lazy journalism and, by and large, the Twitterati don't represent the views of the majority of the people.

Stephen Fry sparks outrage by saying that child abuse victims can only have 'some' of his sympathy but 'their self-pity gets none of my sympathy'

Fry, 58, said in a U.S. chat show that people are becoming too sensitive

Interview was with Dave Rubin, host of The Rubin Report on Ora TV

Fry criticized 'trigger words' and said that 'self-pitying' victims of childhood sexual abuse 'get none of' his sympathy, adding 'just grow up'

His comments have been met with heated response on social media

By Kate Samuelson For Mailonline
Published: 18:02, 11 April 2016 | Updated: 00:17, 12 April 2016
1.7k shares
View comments

Stephen Fry has sparked outrage after criticizing the idea of safe spaces and trigger words, and saying that child victims of sexual abuse should 'grow up' and not feel sorry for themselves.

The actor, author and television personality made the controversial comments during an interview with Dave Rubin on the American current events TV show The Rubin Report.

Mr Rubin asked Fry about whether he considered 'the regressive left, coming after language and free speech' to be an issue in Britain.

Stephen Fry has sparked outrage after criticizing the idea of safe spaces and trigger words, and saying that child victims of sexual abuse should 'grow up' and not feel sorry for themselves

The actor, author and television personality made the controversial comments during an interview with Dave Rubin on the current events TV show The Rubin Report

Fry, 58, replied: 'We fear that it’s going to happen more and more because America leads and Britain follows in all kinds of ways.'

He added, referring to controversy over a statue of Cecil Rhodes at Oriel College in Oxford: 'I think it started to happen in Britain with the attempted removal of statues of people who are considered unlikable - who were once beloved - and have become in a very 1984 way, "unpersons"'.

Fry went on to say that he believes some people are becoming too sensitive, criticising those who avoid 'trigger words' for fear of controversy.

He cited Shakespeare's Titus Andronicus and Macbeth as examples of plays that would nowadays be considered to be 'triggers' as they contain rape and murder respectively.

Fry, pictured here in Beverley Hills with his 28-year-old husband Elliot Spencer on March 21, went on to say that he believes some people are becoming too sensitive, criticising those who avoid 'trigger words' for fear of controversy

Fry said: 'There are many great plays which contain rapes, and the word rape now is even considered a rape.

'They’re terrible things and they have to be thought about, clearly, but if you say you can’t watch this play, you can’t watch Titus Andronicus, or you can’t read it in an English class, or you can’t watch Macbeth because it’s got children being killed in it, it might trigger something when you were young that upset you once, because uncle touched you in a nasty place, well I’m sorry.

'It’s a great shame and we’re all very sorry that your uncle touched you in that nasty place – you get some of my sympathy – but your self pity gets none of my sympathy.'

The QI host added: 'Self pity is the ugliest emotion in humanity.

'Get rid of it, because no one’s going to like you if you feel sorry for yourself.

'The irony is we’ll feel sorry for you if you stop feeling sorry for yourself. Just grow up.'

Fry's comments have led to a storm of outrage on social media, with one woman calling it 'a sad day for victims of sexual abuse and for those with mental health problems'

Another woman took to Twitter to call the QI host's comments 'appalling'

Fry's comments have led to a storm of outrage on social media, with one woman calling it 'a sad day for victims of sexual abuse and for those with mental health problems'.

Another said: 'Stephen Fry's comments on child sexual abuse are appalling. You do not tell a victim of something like that to just "grow up"'.

And Twitter user @dannirachelw said that Fry - who she used to admire - would never regain her respect 'after saying such horrific things'.

And Twitter user @dannirachelw said that Fry would never regain her respect 'after saying such horrific things'

But Cate Longworth was on the comedian's side. She said: 'It's really becoming tedious how hysterical people get over any public comments. Stephen Fry is entitled to his opinion... Carry on'

But Cate Longworth was on the comedian's side. She said: 'It's really becoming tedious how hysterical people get over any public comments. Stephen Fry is entitled to his opinion... Carry on.'

And Abigail Damms thinks people have got the wrong idea about Fry's comments. She wrote: 'Stephen Fry actually said issues are complex and people infantilise them.

'The "grow up" comment was about those people, not abuse victims per se.'

And Abigail Damms thinks people have got the wrong idea about Fry's comments

Last edited:

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
After all the PROVEN child buggerers and those that PROTECT them have been drawn, quartered, and hung like gutted sheep to swing in the wind so this ghastly practice can be stopped for good...MAYBE THEN everyone can just move on...
Ooops! what am I saying?

" Police conspired to protect Rotherham child sex abusers"
Police conspired to protect Rotherham child sex abusers | The Times

"Report finds BBC allowed sexual offenders to operate with impunity"
Jimmy Savile, other sex offenders operated with impunity, report says - CNN.com

re the diocese of Boston sex abuse investigations:
"As it became clear that there was truth to many of the allegations and that there was a pattern of sexual abuse and COVER-UP in a number of large dioceses across the U.S"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_abuse_scandal_in_the_Catholic_archdiocese_of_Boston

When they say there needs to be "closure" so everyone can move on...
Coffin lids is what they really mean.
...and the beast goes on...

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
" Police conspired to protect Rotherham child sex abusers"
Police conspired to protect Rotherham child sex abusers | The Times

And whilst the police in places like Rotherham and Cologne deliberately stand by and do nothing whilst Muslim gangs go around raping people, young white males are taken to court by the police on trumped up charges of rape when there is no shred of evidence against them, as is being reported in today's British newspapers with the story of the four young white men who have been cleared of raping a young woman who wrongfully accused them. The question being asked is: Why did this case even go to court?

If you want to get away with rape, be Muslim.

If you don't want to be sent to court by the police on accusations of rape, when the police know full well you are innocent, make sure you aren't white and male.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
I agree BL: the whole Muslim invasion, and the leniencey allowed, encouraged even, of their not respecting, the "when-in-Rome-do-as-the-Romans-do" abiding of local law and custums, seems highly suspect to me...
An orcastrated, from the top down invasion, and divide and conquring, of the peeps, by the same cover up artists at the top, in the interests of their theft of the whole planets wealth, IMHO

PROVEN is a key word, essential to the process of getting past all this

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I agree BL: the whole Muslim invasion, and the leniencey allowed, encouraged even, of their not respecting, the "when-in-Rome-do-as-the-Romans-do" abiding of local law and custums, seems highly suspect to me...
An orcastrated, from the top down invasion, and divide and conquring, of the peeps, by the same cover up artists at the top, in the interests of their theft of the whole planets wealth, IMHO

PROVEN is a key word, essential to the process of getting past all this

Muslims can do what they like. They are above many of the laws everyone else has to follow. As the great Richard Littlejohn likes to sarcastically say: "It's their relijun, innit?"

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I'm forced to agree. All this candy-a*s whining and "healing" is for imbeciles.

We had a guy down here in Baltimore, went up to the priest that abused him, put a bullet in Father Feely, and walked away.

Now THAT, dearly beloved, is closure.

Walter thinks child molesters should have no action taken against them at all.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I agree with Fry, and Walter, completely. Dwelling on it well into Adulthood does nothing aside from allow yourself to be "victimized" over and over again. To put it bluntly, grow a set and get over it. You're not doing yourself any favours by playing the victim your whole life.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I agree with Fry, and Walter, completely. Dwelling on it well into Adulthood does nothing aside from allow yourself to be "victimized" over and over again. To put it bluntly, grow a set and get over it. You're not doing yourself any favours by playing the victim your whole life.

I agree. **** happens. but in today's western society victimization is profitable.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Yep. Grow a set of balls, load 'em into a gun, and teach Father Feely a whole new kind of penetration.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
It sounds kinda Irish, as many of the child molester priests were/are, and it's a pun on "feel," as in "feel up," or more formally "feel one's genitals."

I understand you need guidance. Happy to help.

Considering that the incidences of Clerical child molestation is no higher in the priesthood than any where else, I still have to ask what is your preoccupation with priests. Why not teachers, or coaches, or scout leaders?