Justin Welby: my secret father was Sir Winston Churchill's private secretary

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

The Archbishop of Canterbury has discovered he is the illegitimate son of Sir Winston Churchill’s last private secretary after taking a DNA test to prove his paternity, The Telegraph can disclose.

The Most Reverend Justin Welby had until now believed his father to be Gavin Welby, a whisky salesman and son of a Jewish immigrant, who was married briefly to his mother, Jane.

more

Justin Welby: DNA test reveals my secret father was Sir Winston Churchill's private secretary

Callum May ‏@callummay

Startling statement by @JustinWelby’s mother: "It appears that the precautions taken at the time didn’t work”

https://janewilliamsofelvel.com/

Frankiedoodle

Electoral Member
Aug 21, 2015
Saskatchewan
It has always bothered me, when children are described as being illegitimate. Seems more like there are "illegitimate parents". The child had no choice in the situation.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It used to be illegal up until fairly recently for illegitimate men to become an archbishop, so had that law still been in place he would have been Archbishop of Canterbury illegally and nobody would have known about it until now. He probably would have had to resign now.

Justin Welby is the great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandson of King Charles II of England (who reigned from 1660 to 1685) and his mistress Louise Renée de Penancoët de Kérouaille, Duchess of Portsmouth.

Anthony Montague Browne, who has just been discovered to be Welby's father, is the15th cousin twice removed of King James I of Scotland (who reigned from 1406 to 1437) and his wife Lady Joan Beaufort (a half-niece of King Henry IV of England), which means that Welby is the 15th cousin three times removed of James I of Scotland.