Some victims are more equal than others

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
‘Collateral victim’ of residential schools gets 15 months for burning child 27 times with cigarette, lighter

MONTREAL — A Quebec aboriginal man who repeatedly burned a five-year-old girl with a cigarette, leaving permanent scars on her face, arms, legs and genitalia, has been given a lenient sentence after a judge determined he is a “collateral victim” of residential school abuse.

Alain Bellemare, an Atikamekw from Wemotaci, Que., about 270 kilometres north of Montreal, was convicted of aggravated assault last June, and Crown prosecutor Éric Thériault sought a four-year prison term on the grounds that serious crimes against children have to be forcefully denounced. He noted that the 2011 assaults caused 27 third-degree burns — 25 from a cigarette and two from a lighter. The victim, who cannot be identified, was left to suffer without medical treatment.

But in sentencing Bellemare to 15 months on April 1, Quebec Court Judge Guy Lambert said the lingering effect of residential schools had to be taken into account under federal sentencing guidelines.

mo

‘Collateral victim’ of residential schools gets 15 months for burning child 27 times with cigarette, lighter | National Post

via Why Is There Always A Big Screen TV? - Small Dead Animals

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Most people even non-natives get reduced sentences if they come from abusing house holds... Ive seen whites get reduced sentences for battery... Come on, im from Sudbury!!!!

Last edited:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Follow the crime and charge whoever abused him as an accessory to the point of being his mentor. How hard is that to figure out. Have the church cough up the compensation check to both of their victims. Make that a rule and see how busy the courts get, lol.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Alain Bellemare's victim was a five year old girl. How old
is Alain Bellemare? IF he was abused, how old is his
abuser if he's even alive to defend him/herself?

Once you hit adulthood, regardless of your background,
you are responsible for your own actions. Personally, I
believe the Gladue Rights are absolute bull****.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Alain Bellemare's victim was a five year old girl. How old
is Alain Bellemare? IF he was abused, how old is his
abuser if he's even alive to defend him/herself?

Once you hit adulthood, regardless of your background,
you are responsible for your own actions. Personally, I
believe the Gladue Rights are absolute bull****.

My first reaction was to totally agree with you, upon finding out what they are, I'm left w/o an opinion. I'd like to find out first just how successful it is at reforming the perpetrator. I think for a lot of crimes we automatically think "jail", when I'm sure in some cases there's better means. I'm not sure that jail has ever made a cruel person "uncruel". Your opinion does warrant a "greenie".

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
My first reaction was to totally agree with you, upon finding out what they are, I'm left w/o an opinion. I'd like to find out first just how successful it is at reforming the perpetrator. I think for a lot of crimes we automatically think "jail", when I'm sure in some cases there's better means. I'm not sure that jail has ever made a cruel person "uncruel". Your opinion does warrant a "greenie".

....who repeatedly burned a five-year-old girl with a cigarette, leaving permanent scars on her face, arms, legs and genitalia....

...the 2011 assaults caused 27 third-degree burns — 25 from a cigarette and two from a lighter...

I'm thinking that this freak is beyond damaged goods and
rehabilitation is not something in this guys future.

JLM, what rehabilitation would this guy have to go through
before you would be comfortable releasing him back into
society and the company of, perhaps, your grandchildren,
or mine?

I don't see much difference between the Monster in this
Thread, & the Monster in this other Thread:

Indiana Man Accused of Raping, Killing Baby

What I do notice is a distinct difference in the reactions
to these two Monsters between threads...

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm thinking that this freak is beyond damaged goods and
rehabilitation is not something in this guys future.

JLM, what rehabilitation would this guy have to go through
before you would be comfortable releasing him back into
society and the company of, perhaps, your grandchildren,
or mine?

I don't see much difference between the Monster in this
Thread, & the Monster in this other Thread:

Indiana Man Accused of Raping, Killing Baby

What I do notice is a distinct difference in the reactions
to these two Monsters between threads...

You're probably right, Ron. He'd be a project for sure. I doubt if he could ever be left alone with children. I wouldn't trust him with mine, ever.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
‘Collateral victim’ of residential schools gets 15 months for burning child 27 times with cigarette, lighter

MONTREAL — A Quebec aboriginal man who repeatedly burned a five-year-old girl with a cigarette, leaving permanent scars on her face, arms, legs and genitalia, has been given a lenient sentence after a judge determined he is a “collateral victim” of residential school abuse.

Alain Bellemare, an Atikamekw from Wemotaci, Que., about 270 kilometres north of Montreal, was convicted of aggravated assault last June, and Crown prosecutor Éric Thériault sought a four-year prison term on the grounds that serious crimes against children have to be forcefully denounced. He noted that the 2011 assaults caused 27 third-degree burns — 25 from a cigarette and two from a lighter. The victim, who cannot be identified, was left to suffer without medical treatment.

But in sentencing Bellemare to 15 months on April 1, Quebec Court Judge Guy Lambert said the lingering effect of residential schools had to be taken into account under federal sentencing guidelines.

mo

‘Collateral victim’ of residential schools gets 15 months for burning child 27 times with cigarette, lighter | National Post

via Why Is There Always A Big Screen TV? - Small Dead Animals

Go soft on him, we have progressive guilt about him getting abused because of , not us, but someone who was white like us. So feel ashame and guilty.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Wow - what a forgiving society we've created. No consequences for torture, abuse, murder et al. because, after all, it was someone else's fault - i.e. "you made me do it". I'm sure the little girl feels better now!!

How totally absurd. This was an adult torturing a child!! He had to have known that what he was doing was wrong. I, too, would like to know his age because the past should NEVER play into the present's actions.

Obviously, the sentencing guidelines are garbage but since they're in place (they should be rescinded btw) common-sense needs to be used by the Judges. They seem to have the power to over turn laws passed by the government so why can't they usurp these so-called guidelines? Oh, of course, how silly of me - they're "lefty" types who feel sorry for those who commit crimes and have little or no use for the victims.

JMHO

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Wow - what a forgiving society we've created. No consequences for torture, abuse, murder et al. because, after all, it was someone else's fault - i.e. "you made me do it". I'm sure the little girl feels better now!!

How totally absurd. This was an adult torturing a child!! He had to have known that what he was doing was wrong. I, too, would like to know his age because the past should NEVER play into the present's actions.

Obviously, the sentencing guidelines are garbage but since they're in place (they should be rescinded btw) common-sense needs to be used by the Judges. They seem to have the power to over turn laws passed by the government so why can't they usurp these so-called guidelines? Oh, of course, how silly of me - they're "lefty" types who feel sorry for those who commit crimes and have little or no use for the victims.

JMHO

It's almost insulting to the man, it's like saying he's not even intelligent enough to know any better. Progressive BS at its finest.

Natives are not intelligent enough to know any better because they were educated in catholic schools.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
We do have a forgiving society. One of my former buddies got 4 years for man slaughter. He goes around bragging how he got away with murder when he is drunk. He is white and I did say former buddy