Where and what is the crisis?

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I remember once taking a greyhound from Edmonton to Calgary. We stopped in Red Deer for about 20-30 minutes for a break. Before we stopped the driver said "If you choose to not be back within (whatever the time limit was) I wish you well in your new home in Red Deer."

I fail to see the crisis involved for a 16 and 12 year old girl spending a few hours in an occupied commercial establishment where members of the public are coming & going on an ongoing basis.

At 16 I wouldnt have cared. I was traveling alone by bus and train then. 12, iffy.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
There doesn't appear to be any dereliction in this case. The driver followed orders and did not "abandon" them as reported because they were within an enterprise that is responsible for its customers. That is, unless it can be proven that the bus was responsible for the five hour lapse thereby causing that expiration. But we'll see what the facts are soon ...

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
True they were in a bus depot assigned location but a public location and these are
kids young girls. People of questionable reputation frequent such places for the
purpose of luring and that is my problem. If the ticket situation had been caught in
Prince George this would not have happened I think there is a problem but a crisis
no

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
True they were in a bus depot assigned location but a public location and these are
kids young girls. People of questionable reputation frequent such places for the
purpose of luring and that is my problem. If the ticket situation had been caught in
Prince George this would not have happened I think there is a problem but a crisis
no

Personally I would say they are a hell of a lot safer in Valemont than in Prince George, Vancouver or Kelowna. On the radio all day I've heard references to the "highway of tears" yet Valemount is miles from the "highway of tears". I think the problem may be an over emotional mother catastrophizing.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Greyhound also said it had a representative who was in contact with the girls all night.

Next time they should have valid tickets.

C.B.C. should have just told the mother they'd look into and get back to it, instead of trying to make a story out of it. I know the feeling when my grand daughters that age can't be accounted for, for a few hours, but still, it's not a National story!

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I would not ever accuse the mother of being anything but concerned about her daughters. I have 4 daughters,
and if two of my daughters had been in same situation, at that age, I would have had lots of questions.

the driver also should have been concerned because of their ages, and the ticket problems could have been
sorted out later, the care of those young girls should have been first on the list 'to' get them to their
destination without making them hang around for hours.

their destination was red deer, and they should have been delivered there efficiently, and tickets
could have been paid for after the fact.

the kind of people who are lurking around 'anywhere' these days just waiting to find young girls on their
own for 'any' reason is a big concern, and no one should let that happen.

because tickets were expired, is not important compared to the care that should have been given those
sisters, and hanging around a gas station/bus station for 5 hours, is not care at all. there are extenuating
circumstances sometimes that ward reaching out to help people, this was one of those times, and it was
not done.

for anyone to think there is 'no' problem with this situation, is missing a few marbles.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I didn't hear anyone suggest there wasn't a problem, the news was just turning it into a crisis or a catastrophe! :)

read your own comment to this thread, (which is yours, making light of this situation).

need not say more.

how big this story, isn't the point, whether it is national news or not, it is news, and
important, forget the CBC, who cares what they did, that's just taking away the
main point of what happened, it is what happened that is important.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
read your own comment to this thread, (which is yours, making light of this situation).

need not say more.

how big this story, isn't the point, whether it is national news or not, it is news, and
important, forget the CBC, who cares what they did, that's just taking away the
main point of what happened, it is what happened that is important.

Making light? Not at all, just putting it into perspective. :)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
ANd if they had been native there would not have been a story unless something happened to them.

I think the biggest problem is C.B.C. decided they were going to make a story out of it before getting all the facts. There's several possibilities, one being the mother thought she might pull a fast one with an expired ticket but regardless C.B.C. should have investigated before reporting.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Sitting on hemorrhoids all day will do that to you.

Their lot in life is not an easy one for sure, having to keep on schedule in all seasons, in all kinds of weather and quite often sh*tty road condition and then having to deal with all types of the general public, including the odd one decapitating passengers!