How we can save journalism in Canada: Rein in the CBC

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario

How we can save journalism in Canada: Rein in the CBC | Financial Post

Please read the article.

One of my dreams is to see the day when the CBC is sold to the private sector.

1. The talented people at CBC will not suffer from the sale.
2. Canadian content laws are outmoded. A lack of self esteem caused the content laws to come into existence. We have matured. Our identity is not threatened.
3. The 1 billion dollar budget fed to a crown corporation is no longer required. Back when the CBC started, the guarantee that all Canadians would get a radio broadcast with news, weather, sport and entertainment was made, but is no longer needed. Back when radio towers and other infrastructure was required to broadcast, the concept was valid. It is no longer needed.
4. 1 billion saved in taxes, redirected at something more deserving, even necessary, would be a better use of money. Additional money transferred to provinces for health care or education for example, would be a better use of taxpayer's money.

The mandate of the CBC is no longer relevant. It is an old idea, supplanted by modern broadcasters, technology and the Internet.

Last edited:

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

How we can save journalism in Canada: Rein in the CBC | Financial Post

Please read the article.

One of my dreams is to see the day when the CBC is sold to the private sector.

1. The talented people at CBC will not suffer from the sale.
2. Canadian content laws are outmoded. A lack of self esteem caused the content laws to come into existence. We have matured. Our identity is not threatened.
3. The 1 billion dollar budget fed to a crown corporation is no longer required. Back when the CBC started, the guarantee that all Canadians would get a radio broadcast with news, weather, sport and entertainment is no longer needed. Back when radio towers and other infastructure was required to broadcast, the concept was valid. It is no longer needed.
4. 1 billion saved in taxes, redirected at something more deserving, even necessary, would be a better use of money. Additional money transferred to provinces for health care or education for example, would be a better use of teapayer's money.

The mandate of the CBC is no longer relevant. It is an old idea, supplanted by modern broadcasters, technology and the Internet.
Agreed .

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
CBC has become a group of Pro Liberal, Pro JT and they don't even try to show a tiny bit of bias anymore. They are loosing viewers, and will be loosing much more. Sell it now, so it can be saved.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
A lack of self esteem was not the reason for cancon laws. It was to foster the domestic arts and music industry.

In other words, the Government believed that Canadians wouldn't have consumed Canadian content without government help.

I remember a conversation I had years ago. The person was arguing for Canadian Content. I defended a more open market. It turned out I watched more Canadian Content than she did!

CBC has become a group of Pro Liberal, Pro JT and they don't even try to show a tiny bit of bias anymore. They are loosing viewers, and will be loosing much more. Sell it now, so it can be saved.

How so.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
CBC is the only broadcaster that supports Canadian content when CBC goes all shows will be from the USA

Have you not watched television since 1970? The quick and easy rebuttal to your statement can be found by searching for Cdn television production co. Film, TV and radio.There are lots of them.

I will repeat: CBC's mandate is no longer sensible or up to date.

BTW, Don Messer has been dead for 40 yrs.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I for one do not support the sale of the CBC it is part of the Canadian mosaic and
connects Canadians from many regions. I listen to more CBC than the private
stations and I was once a broadcaster in the private system. I did that from the
1960's into the 90's, Watching as the corporate entities destroyed the private
sector by focusing on the money rather than the programming. Playing ten songs
in a row is not being a station its becoming a jukebox with commercials.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
But we are not just talking about radio. The CBC is also in the television and production fields.

WRT your opinion of radio, Internet stations are gathering momentum. They are owned and staffed by individuals who support old time announcers and live content. Despite the corporations, you will see a resurgence in personal, not canned, radio.

I've dabbled in radio for yrs myself. There are highs and lows in every area.

Last edited:

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I shudder to think what the quality of Canadian news would be if the CBC disappeared. I've seen the quality of media in the USA and it is frightening as well as downright depressing. If nothing else the CBC stops CTV News from turning into CNN North.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
In other words, the Government believed that Canadians wouldn't have consumed Canadian content without government help.

That's not what I said, but if that's how you see it, you might as well keep watching teletubbies.

Have you noticed what happened to the Canadian auto industry under the auto pact? It thrived.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
So a crappy Canadian show is better than a superior American one?

It is when the liberal backers have a monetary interest in it.

I for one do not support the sale of the CBC it is part of the Canadian mosaic and
connects Canadians from many regions. I listen to more CBC than the private
stations and I was once a broadcaster in the private system. I did that from the
1960's into the 90's, Watching as the corporate entities destroyed the private
sector by focusing on the money rather than the programming. Playing ten songs
in a row is not being a station its becoming a jukebox with commercials.

That is what most of us expect from a radio station. ANd news. Except for the commercials. CBC drivel is not what I want to listen to at work.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
That is what most of us expect from a radio station. ANd news. Except for the commercials. CBC drivel is not what I want to listen to at work.

Umm, I think it is possible to change the station so that you can get your daily feed of commercial drivel.

Have you not watched television since 1970? The quick and easy rebuttal to your statement can be found by searching for Cdn television production co. Film, TV and radio.There are lots of them.

I will repeat: CBC's mandate is no longer sensible or up to date.

BTW, Don Messer has been dead for 40 yrs.

You are right about there being numerous Canadian TV and film productions, but what you don't mention is that many of them are produced in Canada due to government tax breaks and subsidies. In other words the same mechanisms that apply to the CBC have also been applied to private film and TV productions. If you really want a free enterprise film and TV industry in Canada then you should be willing to say goodbye to all government subsidies - of course, you would also be saying goodbye to the Canadian film and TV industry.

Anybody bother to check to see how many nations have state owned TV networks similar to the CBC? Guess what, almost every nation has one. This is just another attempt to Americanize Canada even more than it already is.

Sons of Liberty

Walks on Water
Aug 24, 2010
Evil Empire
This is just another attempt to Americanize Canada even more than it already is.

If you don't want Canada "Americanized" then stop gobbling up the culture, no law prevents what people want.

Your Canadian Content laws are pathetic. Why says you? If you need a law to preserve entertainment then maybe it's not entertainment worth preserving?

I shudder to think what the quality of Canadian news would be if the CBC disappeared. I've seen the quality of media in the USA and it is frightening as well as downright depressing. If nothing else the CBC stops CTV News from turning into CNN North.

Oh get off your imaginary high horse, American TV shows are constantly rated top ten around the world, including your own country. Which Canadian parallel universe do you live in?