Prince Harry welcomed to Nepal by five virgins in luck and purity ceremony

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Prince Harry has been given a traditional VIP welcome to Nepal as five young virgins gave him flowers and a garland to signify luck and purity.

The Panchakanya - Sanskrit for five unmarried women, or five virgins - welcomed the Prince to the ancient Patan Durbar Square in the heart of the capital Kathmandu.

Several temples and other buildings in the square were damaged or brought down by the earthquake that claimed 9,000 lives last April, and many buildings are still supported by wooden props.

When the Prince arrived in the square, a Unesco World Heritage Site, he walked up to the group of five young women - a lucky number in Nepalese culture - with their status as virgins representing purity.

He was given flowers by Ujala Maharjan, 18, Alisha Awale, 18, Reju Maharjan, 19, and Nafisa Dangol, 17, before Maiya Maharjan, 25, put a garland of orange flowers around his neck.

He accepted their gifts with a smile and afterwards Miss Awale said: "I've seen him before on television. I was really excited about meeting him and was wondering what he would be like.

"We freaked out when he was in front of us but it was a really happy moment. We welcome him with open hearts to Nepal and hope he enjoys his visit.”

Prince Harry welcomed to Nepal by five virgins in luck and purity ceremony

Five unmarried women welcome Prince with garland in ancient Kathmandu square where several buildings were brought down by powerful earthquake

By Gordon Rayner, Chief Reporter, in Kathmandu. Video source ITN
20 Mar 2016
The Telegraph

Prince Harry has been given a traditional VIP welcome to Nepal as five young virgins gave him flowers and a garland to signify luck and purity.

The Panchakanya - Sanskrit for five unmarried women, or five virgins - welcomed the Prince to the ancient Patan Durbar Square in the heart of the capital Kathmandu.

Several temples and other buildings in the square were damaged or brought down by the earthquake that claimed 9,000 lives last April, and many buildings are still supported by wooden props.

Prince Harry receives a garland of flowers during his visit to Kathmandu's historic Patan Durbar Square (Tim Rooke/REX/Shutterstock)

When the Prince arrived in the square, a Unesco World Heritage Site, he walked up to the group of five young women - a lucky number in Nepalese culture - with their status as virgins representing purity.

He was given flowers by Ujala Maharjan, 18, Alisha Awale, 18, Reju Maharjan, 19, and Nafisa Dangol, 17, before Maiya Maharjan, 25, put a garland of orange flowers around his neck.

He accepted their gifts with a smile and afterwards Miss Awale said: "I've seen him before on television. I was really excited about meeting him and was wondering what he would be like.

"We freaked out when he was in front of us but it was a really happy moment. We welcome him with open hearts to Nepal and hope he enjoys his visit.”

Prince Harry visits Kathmandu's historic Patan Durbar Square on day two of his tour of Nepal (Chris Jackson/Getty)

From there the Prince went inside the Royal Palace and several surrounding temples to see ongoing restoration work which is being partly funded by the British Embassy.

His next stop was the Golden Temple, one of Kathmandu’s holiest sites, which dates from 1409 and stands on the site of a 12th century Buddhist monastery.

The Prince made a traditional offering of a lit candle to a statue of Buddha when he visited one of Kathmandu’s holiest sites.

He lit a large candle, or lamp, in a metal cup and handed it to a priest guarding the icon at the 600-year-old Golden Temple. The offering of a burning lamp symbolises the impermanence of life.

The Prince was greeted on arrival at the temple by its chief abbott, 94-year-old Turtha Raj Shakya, who gave him a gift of an orange holy scarf decorated with eight auspicious symbols of Buddhism.

Already wearing a garland of orange flowers given to him earlier, the Prince said: “Orange is the colour of the day!”

Prince Harry visits Kathmandu's historic Patan Durbar Square on day two of his tour of Nepal (Tim Rooke/REX/Shutterstock)

He was then taken into the tiny main courtyard of the temple, about half the size of a tennis court, in which stands a large pagoda-style shrine as well as the shrine of the Buddha. They are covered in gold leaf, giving the temple its name.

As the Prince stooped through a low doorway to enter the courtyard, he looked around him and said “Wow”.

Local conservationist Anil Chitraker showed him around the building, explaining the significance of prayer wheels, bronze statues of monkeys and elephants that relate to stories told by the Buddha, and the importance of the temple itself, which serves as a religious and community hub for 5,000 people.

At one point the Prince was distracted by a pigeon perched on the lower roof of the pagoda, which stared intently at him.

“It’s looking at my scarf,” he said. Talking to the pigeon, he added: “It’s the same colour as your eyes.”

After lighting the lamp, the Prince gave it to Sujan Shakya, 32, one of two priests guarding the shrine of the Buddha. The chief priest, or baphaca, in the temple is 10-year-old Sumit Shakya, who is serving one month as guardian of the shrine. Tradition dictates that the job must always be done by a boy aged under 12, who must not leave the temple for the month that he is in charge.

Large crowds gathered in Patan Durbar Square to try and get a glimpse of Prince Harry (Pratap Thapa / Barcroft India)

The temple was built in 1409 on the site of a 12th century Buddhist monastery, and only survived last year’s earthquake because of just-completed work to replace all of its rotting wooden beams.

After leaving the temple the Prince was taken into a public square behind it, where he met some of the 800 people who were given food and shelter by the temple’s worshippers after their homes were destroyed by the earthquake.

He told one group: “Community spirit all over the world is forgotten. People are on their phones and so on, but when an earthquake happens it shows that the community spirit is still there.”

Prince Harry tried his hand at wood carving (i-Images Picture Agency)

Mr Chitraker said of the lamp-lighting ceremony: “In the Buddhist tradition, all this knowledge needs to spread, so when you light one lamp with the other lamp it symbolises how knowledge and wisdom spread around the world.

“The butter that is being used to fuel the lamp ultimately runs out so it also symbolises the impermanence of life.”

He went on: “The earthquake was devastating, so between the Palace he has seen and the Golden Temple, it shows how a 2,600-year-old institution established by Buddha comes to life when there is a disaster.

“The people pooled their food, they pooled their fuel, they cooked for 800 people at the same time and they took care of their houses. Five days after the earthquake some people were already moving back into their houses.

“Nepali communities are very well organised and can respond to challenges such as the one we’ve just had.”

Harry is on a five-day visit to Nepal which he hopes will "shine a light" on the country as it rebuilds after the earthquake.

His tour of Durbar Square in Kathmandu's Patan district gave the Prince the chance to see the restoration work already begun on the monuments and he even tried his hand at wood carving.

When he joined some craftsmen quietly fashioning pieces of wood he looked at their handiwork and said: "I did carving at school years ago but nothing like this."

Sitting on the floor with the men, Harry watched closely as he was shown what to do but joked about his lack of skill: "I can't do it, not many people can. I am showing how hard it is to do this - wow."

Prince Harry jokes as he attempts wood carving (i-Images Picture Agency)

When someone told him how much at ease he appeared on the ground, he quipped: "Ten years in the Army, you learn to sit anywhere."

Harry was left in awe of the magnificent Hanuman Dhoka Palace complex, named in honour of the monkey god, Hanuman, with its impressive galleried courtyards, featuring beautiful carvings.

Much of the monument was built by King Pratap Malla in the 17th century but a 1934 earthquake which struck Nepal destroyed a large amount of the structure.

Video: Prince Harry welcomed to Nepal by five virgins in luck and purity ceremony - Telegraph

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Those five virgins aren't going to be virgins for much longer with Prince Harry around. He'll soon see to that.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Yeah that's what I hear folks say that a knothole in a tree isn't safe around that horn dog.

It's true. He's allowed to live a wild life and have fun with him not going to become king. His brother William, who WILL one day be king, has to set an example and act more regally.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
It's true. He's allowed to live a wild life and have fun with him not going to become king. His brother William, who WILL one day be king, has to set an example and act more regally.
You Limey's are famous for wanting to travel far and wide to screw anything that walks. Figuratively, and literally. :)

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
You Limey's are famous for wanting to travel far and wide to screw anything that walks. Figuratively, and literally. :)

No. We travel far and wide to civilise the barbarous folk and give them railways and cricket.

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
Did they, at least give up their virginity to him?
it looks like the woodcarver is a virgin,they looked like they were having fun together,more so then the other photo shoots.you never know.

Yes the natives here were barbarians. Yet they weren't the ones passing out blankets infected with small pox.
now you are presenting as ridiculous,bad acting.

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
a moment of clarity from the forum genius. Thank you we all appreciate your valuable input.
having a bad day,thinking it is o.k. to name call,
not once have I defined myself as a genius or even coming close to same,as a matter of fact,there are many things I am ignorant to and cannot do if my life depended on it,i tend to rejoice in the things i can do.
you think you are manipulating me by having me respond,you think you are manipulating me because you have me responding like a "fishing line",
i am here to laugh,write and practice up for the big writings to come,
you are a baby Ludlow.