U.S. Warns of ‘Catastrophic Failure’ of Iraq’s Mosul Dam

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
If the Mosul Dam goes, a lake of water will submerge cities from Mosul to Baghdad and kill hundreds of thousands.

he Iraqi government and an Italian engineering firm have finally reached a tentative agreement that could provide a long-term fix for the world’s most dangerous dam. But the tricky repairs needed to prevent a catastrophic failure at the Mosul Dam, in northern Iraq, could potentially make a bad situation even worse.

Mosul Dam, built in the early 1980s, has for decades been considered a ticking time bomb. Constructed on top of gypsum, limestone, and other minerals that dissolve when in contact with water, the dam has been plagued by the threat of collapse since even before it began operations. Six days a week for 30 years, engineers have pumped thousands of tons of grout under the dam to shore it up and prevent a catastrophic breach. U.S. Army Engineers famously called it “the most dangerous dam in the world.”

Late last week, Lt. Gen. Sean MacFarland, the top U.S. general in Iraq, warned that the dam is again in danger of collapsing, which would hurl a lake full of water down the Tigris River, flooding cities from Mosul to Baghdad and possibly killing hundreds of thousands of people.

mo

Mapped: The Crumbling Iraqi Dam That May Flood The Country | Foreign Policy

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
What? Like the destruction and partition of Iraq has not been underway by the USA for in excess of a decade. Wake the fuk up Van Winkle.

DUDE! He just said it looks like it could be a great fishing spot! Cut the lad some slack Beav.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
People deserve the punishment, but God pardons much.
This is on account of their worship of Hussein in association with God, particularly in the recent years; such worship has increased so much.

And that has what to do with the dam being in danger of collapse? Or are you saying that all the lives that will be lost should it do so, deserve to die a watery death? If so, you're a twit.

selfsame

Time Out
Jul 13, 2015
And that has what to do with the dam being in danger of collapse? Or are you saying that all the lives that will be lost should it do so, deserve to die a watery death? If so, you're a twit.

I don't wish the destruction of people; you wish for that, as it is obvious from many posts here.
And I hope that God may pardon and give respite to people that they may know the true guidance of the 'exclusive devotion to God alone'.

http://www.quran-ayat.com/hour/an_hour_with_ghosts.htm#Monotheism_Is_the_Way_of_Success

selfsame

Time Out
Jul 13, 2015
You are in dire need of a real life, selfie.

My duty is to invite people to the devotion to God alone, as much as I can, while the guidance and the decree is up to God, and you are not immune against God's punishment, on account of your barring people from the way of God.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
My duty is to invite people to the devotion to God alone, as much as I can, while the guidance and the decree is up to God, and you are not immune against God's punishment, on account of your barring people from the way of God.

Believe me, the very least of my worries is the fear of punishment from a fictitious being.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
ALERT MINOR THREAD DERAIL God is being. There we go. If yer being yer not fictitious, arya. I think you meant fictitious unbeing. I know it's petty but you made fun of my spelling last week didn't you?

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
You are trying to measure up to God To qualify yourself to a god that does not exist. Taking long journey down a dead end road. Why not just live your life and find a nice river somewhere and go fishing. :).

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
If you want to know why the Egyptians made peace with the Israelis back in the Sadat/Begin years, look at the Aswan High Dam. 85% of Egypt lives in the Nile Valley. Cairo is a city of 9 million on the banks of the Nile. One or two deep burrowing "bunker buster" bombs dropped by one or two fighter-bombers is all that is needed to breech that dam and create a huge tsunsmi that will sweep down the Nile Valley at high speed and perhaps drown millions.